The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Champion Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Champion Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I must admit to getting a small bit more hopeful this evening because
    – I can’t believe they only had 6 mill on Monday, we had incessant rain all day here.
    -The forecast this evening seems ambiguous as to how far up the East coast the rain will get tomorrow afternoon: there must be a chance Leop will miss the worst of it. Thursday is to be showery then high pressure comes in Friday lasting through the weekend.
    -Oxx in his comments seems to want to run and has now said he’ll run on yielding (good/soft)

I’d go as far as to say that if they miss the deluge tomorrow there’s a real chance he might turn up and I’ve been nibbling at the 3/1 on Betfair those brave layers are offering.

• Total Posts 33

If the ground is on the easy side and STS does not turn up the field should look like this.

Fame and Glory
    Casual Conquest
    Lord Admiral
    Rockhampton
    Set Sail

maybe Loch Long.

Price that up

2/7 Fame and Glory, 10/3 Casual Conquest, 50/1 LA, 250/1 Rockhampton, Set Sail, Loch Long.

Is Casual a logical bet then at the moment. I have had a small bet on him on BF and I am tempted to have another bit on. Although the weather isn’t supposed to be that bad for the rest of the week, yld or worse ground will probably stop Oxx from running STS.

The case for CC is as follows: He is already a 10f Gr. 1 winner and easily beat Famous Name, he is by no means a super star but has been targeted at this race while I think Ballydoyle have the arc in the back of their head for F&G and probably expect not to be taking on STS so may have him a little short( he will have been off since late june too) Tell me if I’m wrong about this.. While I fully expect Ballydoyle to make it a test CC has no stamina problems. Basically I think with the way the market is on BF, betting to 105% with possible/likely non runners taking up 25-30% there has to value and CC @ double figure odds looks the one to me.

Shedloads of rain would be nice just to rule out STS.

Another question, Is the Breeders Cup Classic not STS’s main autumn aim. :?: :?: :?: :?:

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Coolmore will shove in so many pacemakers that the field will go off like a herd of frightened gazzles, this coupled with the soft ground will aim too find the whole in Sea The Stars stamina armour and allow one of their horses too win.

• Total Posts 33

Last part of my post should be more like

Should STS’s main autumn aim be the Breeders Cup Classic?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If Sea The Stars gets beat, it certainly won’t be lack of stamina that causes it.
    Horses don’t win 2 strongly run gp1 10f races (and a Derby) by asserting at the end of their races – if they don’t stay 10f..

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

think what a sad summer it would have been if Aidan had not taken on Sea the Stars with Rip van Winkle and Mastercraftsman. If nothing else it kept the pudding involved.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

How many more times will an all-age Group 1 be the "first time we might just find out how good these 3yo’s are"?

WTF are you babbling on about now. Take the first 5 out of the Guineas and the Dreby……Apart from Conduit running in a race the majority of people would agree was over a distance well short of his best, StS MCM RVW F + G and Delegator haven’t taken on anything outside their own age group.

The only horse who did venture outside was Golden Sword and he got stuffed.

The Derby form isn’t worh a pinch of sh!t as it stands. Fame and Glory 2nd won a deperate Irish Derby, Masterofthehorse was absolutely stuffed in both his races since, Rip Van Winkle turns out to be a miler and Golden Sword previously mentioned gets run over in the King George.

If Casual Conquest were to beat Fame and Glory the 3yo Classic form will take one helluva bad knock.

Now if you have seen some race I missed Oh Chief of Peruvian intellegence then say so other than that keep your sarcastic comments to yourself

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

think what a sad summer it would have been if Aidan had not taken on Sea the Stars with Rip van Winkle and Mastercraftsman. If nothing else it kept the pudding involved.

andyod, I don’t think Aidan’s attempts so far at beating STS with the best Ballydoyle has to offer, were solely meant as a gesture to us racing fans.

Are you saying he should be applauded for merely doing his job in trying to plunder as many G1’s as he can with the best bred horses, arguably, in the world? :shock:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Last I read was he said he would be trained for the Arc but winning either may be a huge important feather in his cap. Also much depends on what others he has beaten do in their careers as well

Many have pointed out they think Sea the Stars has done enough but they should watch and listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIwL0rNV8w Take heed how great horses are judged in the real world. Reg Griffin and Major Arkright point out the all important truth about the nearest horse to Sea the Stars you could possibly imagine. Nashwan winner of the 2000 Guineas Derby Eclipse and King George….

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

How many more times will an all-age Group 1 be the "first time we might just find out how good these 3yo’s are"?

WTF are you babbling on about now. Take the first 5 out of the Guineas and the Dreby……Apart from Conduit running in a race the majority of people would agree was over a distance well short of his best, StS MCM RVW F + G and Delegator haven’t taken on anything outside their own age group.

The only horse who did venture outside was Golden Sword and he got stuffed.

The Derby form isn’t worh a pinch of sh!t as it stands. Fame and Glory 2nd won a deperate Irish Derby, Masterofthehorse was absolutely stuffed in both his races since, Rip Van Winkle turns out to be a miler and Golden Sword previously mentioned gets run over in the King George.

If Casual Conquest were to beat Fame and Glory the 3yo Classic form will take one helluva bad knock.

Now if you have seen some race I missed Oh Chief of Peruvian intellegence then say so other than that keep your sarcastic comments to yourself

Rip Van Winkle stuffed the older horses in the Sussex Stakes too. I find it remarkable you can be so questioning of the three year old form yet fall over yourself over an unproven colt like Canford Cliffs.

• Total Posts 1537

Last I read was he said he would be trained for the Arc but winning either may be a huge important feather in his cap. Also much depends on what others he has beaten do in their careers as well

Many have pointed out they think Sea the Stars has done enough but they should watch and listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIwL0rNV8w Take heed how great horses are judged in the real world. Reg Griffin and Major Arkright point out the all important truth about the nearest horse to Sea the Stars you could possibly imagine. Nashwan winner of the 2000 Guineas Derby Eclipse and King George….

Whereas STS has beaten horses who have went on to win the :-

Celebration mile at Goodwood

St James’s Palace stakes

Irish 2000 guineas

King George (whos winner you backed for the Arc along with Sariska)

Sussex stakes ( whos winner beat queen anne stakes winner,King George winner, Prix Jean pratt winners, 1000 guineas winner, Coronation stakes winner)

And there are still big races to go.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All 3 year olds mate and that is the point of the whole thing…I think the main 4 horses behind StS are all very good animals but I thought Sariska was different class to DRM and look what happened,,ok MH yard might be out of form but until you take on the best 4yo you don’t have a clue.

I know Conduit won the KG but SMS who does not say anything lightly reckons he was no where near his best for that……I would dealry love to see him and StS meet again the Arc and if StS won as easily as he did at Sandown then you could say he is an exeptional horse.perhaps even up there with some of the best.

The same could be said if Fame and Glory wins on Sat and goes on to win the Arc but on the downsoide the way the rain is bucketing down in Ireland F +G could get stuffed by Casual Conquest then what should we think?

towerto
    • Total Posts 92

anyone know why conduit isnt entered in the arc prep , the prix de foy?

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

what happened too Cacoethes? I suspect he stood in Japan having won a grade one in the US.

At the moment i would not blame Sea The Stars connections for looking at the Breeders Cup Classic and the the Hong Kong Cup.

• Total Posts 403

All 3 year olds mate and that is the point of the whole thing…I think the main 4 horses behind StS are all very good animals but I thought Sariska was different class to DRM and look what happened,,ok MH yard might be out of form but until you take on the best 4yo you don’t have a clue.

There was no substance to Sariska’s form. Everyone was banging on about Midday franking it in the Nassau, but none of her older rivals ran their races that day and 7.8 was massive about DRM before the race at York and I tucked in.

I couldn’t have Conduit at all for the Arc. I hope I can get him against Youmzain in a match bet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

anyone know why conduit isnt entered in the arc prep , the prix de foy?

Possibly, his trainer is experienced enough to know the time of day without a prep run? 8)

Euro.
    If Youmzain finishes in front of Conduit in the Arc, I’ll swim back from France with both of them on my back – and that isn’t after-timed.

• Total Posts 403

Euro.
    If Youmzain finishes in front of Conduit in the Arc, I’ll swim back from France with both of them on my back – and that isn’t after-timed.

I’ll remember that. I posted the DRM bet on TH so for me it’s not after-timing.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.