The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Cesarewitch 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Cesarewitch 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Entries out. Betfair and Paddy Power have it priced up, but with so many doubly engaged at Newmarket, very risky to take a string view….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/178/curragh/2020-10-11/768069

Not surprisingly, a lot of chances here for Willie Mullins, and these include Great White Shark, who I really like for Newmarket. She’s a big player here, but impossible to back Antepost, and I just have the suspicion she’ll swerve this.

Stablemate Mt Leinster looks a live one though, and though I rarely favour the market leaders, he looks rock solid at 7’s. Dark Voyager is another from the yard that I like for Newmarket, and she looks to have a better chance of getting in there. She’d be single figures if she did get in here.

I’ve mentioned Dalton Highway a few times this season, and he’s a solid type. Slightly disappointing last time, but although a lot higher in the weights than when second in this last year, I reckon he’s solid EW material, and I’ll bet him on the day for max places, should he come here.

The one I really like is Melburnian. Put him up last year as one to have some fun with, and he looked sure to win last week, only to get badly hampered when he made his winning move. That was from a tough draw, and I fancy him strongly for this. He needs half of those above him to come out though, which seems unlikely right now. Won’t stop me betting him though, and in the unlikely event that I see bigger, I’ll top up.

As bad as stablemates Golden Spear and Tudor City were last week, it would take a brave man to rule them out here.

De Name Escapes Me could surely bounce back if he got in, and fellow JP runner, the veteran Western Boy, will always interest me in a race like this.

Finally, for now, the Emmet Mullins pair, Cape Gentlemen, and Sneaky Getaway look like big dangers too, and the 33’s for the pair of them looks crazy. I’d have them right near the head of the shortlist, but only betting one right now.

I’ll stick with Melburnian just now then, just hope he makes it. I’ll stick my neck out, and say that this time next year, he’ll be prominent in the betting for The Cesarewitch at Newmarket.

Melburnian 20’s

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6277

Any views on Shoeshone Warroir for AOB

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

I always get his handicappers wrong Darren, so best I not give a strong opinion, though he was a big eyecatcher in The Petingo.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Melburnian looks unlikely to get in here, which is a shame, but plenty mentioned above still of interest.

It’s another one though who’s also starting to appeal. Centroid hasn’t screamed out for this trip, but the expected softer ground here just might be what he needs, and having passed him over here initially, he’s starting to appeal at 33’s.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

VtC, it looks like someone agrees with Cape Gentleman. He’s 10/1 now.

I looked at him, but I hate being at the back end of a gamble like that, so I’ve went with Powerful Ted at 11/1

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Yup, clocked that. Was seriously considering him, but couldn’t get involved now, having missed the 33’s

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

With Powerful Ted missing, I’ve went in again with Kings Vow at 16-1. I’m hoping that he shortens over the weekend.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3016

Bobby in the same boat with Cape Gentleman…

Royal Illusion probably be one I’d consider now

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Yeah, gutted at missing it Jack.

With Melburnian not going, left with a shortlist of….

Sneaky Getaway
    Centroid
    Kaatskill Nap
    De Name Escapes Me
    Tudor City
    Golden Spear

Probably Centroid and Kaatskill, but if Dalton Highway runs well in the big one tomorrow, then I’ll probably go with De Name Escapes Me.

Properly up in the air right now.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3784

I’ve gone with Grandmaster Flash who is at 20s. Paddy Power paying 6 places ew :good:

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Finally came up with a couple, but as hard a race to call as I can remember……

Kaatskill Nap 14’s
    De Name Escapes Me 25’s

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 949

Lol VTC I gave up , on a good run and going to continue by leave this alone , good luck

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3016

On Royal Illusion at 12/1. Looks to me like this has been their plan, with a very soft ride as a prep last time. Last years winning jockey back on and while she’s off 94 this time she won by 8.5ls last year off 83. If there’s one man that I’d be confident of getting a filly to improve even more it’s WPM :good:

Had a saver on Grandmaster Flash. Quirky sort, but ran a cracker 2 races back at Galway. Stays the trip and has some fair form. Big price

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4914

Not a strong event, partly due to the clash with the Newmarket event that took some of the better staying handicappers (to good effect for the Irish).

Not madly imaginative but this does look a very good chance for the lightly raced CAPE GENTLEMAN(7/1). Strong looking staying form in the soft at a couple of the better provincial tracks in France in 2019 before a very promising Irish debut behind Mt Leinster at Listowel at the end of last month. As an aside this one could be a decent animal for jump racing going into the winter.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

Cape Gentleman for me too. Ew 6 places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.