The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Interesting Race Planning

Home Forums Horse Racing Interesting Race Planning

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The more astute of you may have noticed a 70 minute gap between the final two races at Newmarket on Wednesday.

This is because an Arab race is being run at 4:55.

Traditionally this race has been run at 1:00 on the opening day of the July meeting.

Presumably the race has been moved to appease sponsors and give the race a higher profile.

However I do wonder if this is going to set a dangerous precedent.

I appreciate Arab races have a strong following but is inserting what is, in effect, a novelty race in the middle of a prestigious card good for the sport?

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I don’t see the problem, it’s not as if it’s going to be a regular occurrence. What’s wrong with having something a little bit different, like that greys only sprint they run there every year? What is it you think is "dangerous" about it?

I assume it’s going to be a quality event, and I’d like to know more about it, but I see that the RP has neglected to put up any details of the race on its Wednesday’s card details. It’s a pity nobody at the RP had the imagination or initiative to do something about it. Maybe it’s just laziness on their part – it would certainly please the sponsors. Perhaps the bookmakers won’t let them.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Should more fuss be made of the race just because it’s been moved to 4.55 to please sponsors, Venusian? Would a maiden switched to Epsom be given more coverage if it immediately followed the Derby?

I’m not sure that Paul’s description of the race as a ‘novelty’ is entirely accurate, but the comparison with the greys-only event is comical at best. Does a legitimate handicap, contested by everyday UK runners with everyday UK form, really only equate to an Arab race with potentially indecipherable past performances?

I’ve taken Paul’s ‘dangerous precedent’ comment to be a reflection of the potential impact on a) the course’s ability to maintain a crowd (given that many racgoers leave prior to the final race to avoid traffic and are unlikely to hang around to punt on a race they can’t evaluate properly), and b) the future of race planning if certain events are to be given apparent priority (or, at the very least, more preferential treatment) in the pursuit of satisfying sponsors.

He has a point (unless that’s not what he meant, in which case he doesn’t :D).

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

To clarify what I meant Equitrack was pretty spot on.

Essentially this is a thoroughbred meeting. Now having the odd Arab race at a thoroughbred meeting is not uncommon but such races should top or tail the meeting not be in the middle.
    It will be interesting to see how many do stay on for the final race on the card. Will those with no interest in Arab racing want to hang around for over an hour to see a Class 3 handicap? I may be wrong and will happily hold my hand up and say so afterwards if I am, but I have a feeling the last race will be run in front of near empty stands.

Will the Arab race be a betting proposition? Indeed will the mainstream bookmakers be betting on it? Would it generate any Levy contribution?

I have no problem with an Arab race topping or tailing a meeting but to break the flow of the meeting is questionable.

My use of the word "novelty" was in the context of it being a non-thoroughbred race. Yes the greys race is called a novelty race but at least it is a thoroughbred contest where the runners are generally known.

Would we want a one hour break mid-meeting to stage, say, a five-a-side football contest?

As regards being a dangerous precedent, that was a slightly facetious comment – but one could wonder if an Arab race is slipped in mid-meeting this week, what in future? I just had this vision of a big sponsor coming along to sponsor a camel race – and that is suddenly moved to the middle of the card – OK an extreme example but you get my gist.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

To clarify what I meant Equitrack was pretty spot on.

Essentially this is a thoroughbred meeting. Now having the odd Arab race at a thoroughbred meeting is not uncommon but such races should top or tail the meeting not be in the middle.
    It will be interesting to see how many do stay on for the final race on the card. Will those with no interest in Arab racing want to hang around for over an hour to see a Class 3 handicap? I may be wrong and will happily hold my hand up and say so afterwards if I am, but I have a feeling the last race will be run in front of near empty stands.

Will the Arab race be a betting proposition? Indeed will the mainstream bookmakers be betting on it? Would it generate any Levy contribution?

I have no problem with an Arab race topping or tailing a meeting but to break the flow of the meeting is questionable.

My use of the word "novelty" was in the context of it being a non-thoroughbred race. Yes the greys race is called a novelty race but at least it is a thoroughbred contest where the runners are generally known.

Would we want a one hour break mid-meeting to stage, say, a five-a-side football contest?

As regards being a dangerous precedent, that was a slightly facetious comment – but one could wonder if an Arab race is slipped in mid-meeting this week, what in future? I just had this vision of a big sponsor coming along to sponsor a camel race – and that is suddenly moved to the middle of the card – OK an extreme example but you get my gist.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

I assume it’s going to be a quality event, and I’d like to know more about it, but I see that the RP has neglected to put up any details of the race on its Wednesday’s card details. It’s a pity nobody at the RP had the imagination or initiative to do something about it. Maybe it’s just laziness on their part – it would certainly please the sponsors. Perhaps the bookmakers won’t let them.

The Arabian Racing Organisation website, http://www.aroracing.co.uk, is the first port of call for all things Arab racing. The Newmarket race is mentioned in the fixtures list, though I couldn’t see anything to suggest that it’s one of the higlight races of the Arab season – I appreciate I might be looking straight past any indication to the contrary, though.

Maybe forumite and ARO representative Lekha85 is able to place the race in the Arab firmament.

As for Arab coverage in the trade papers, we certainly carried racecards and Spotlights for the 2006 renewal of the Dubai meeting at Newbury in the

Sportsman

, and I think that went down pretty well with the cognoscenti. I can’t quite remember what the logistics were of acquiring and processing that information (whither Prufrock?), but the fact that we were able to do this at least once suggests it wouldn’t be beyond the gift of the

to follow suit if it identified the need.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

Have they done this before on the Rowley Mile?

I only ask because I thought that there was a meet a couple of years back with a gap about halfway through for a arab race,but I could be completely wrong on that assumption.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Looking at the fixture list Jeremy i think it’sl be the Harwood International Stakes (G2) over a mile being run this week :)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

It’s not a move that’s likely to please trainers with a runner in the 5:30 either, as the evening session of the Newmarket July sales starts at 5 p.m.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Have they done this before on the Rowley Mile?

I only ask because I thought that there was a meet a couple of years back with a gap about halfway through for a arab race,but I could be completely wrong on that assumption.

I am sure you are right, GD.

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Hi,

It has been very interesting to see various people’s thoughts on the placement of an Arabian Race in the middle of a prestitigious thoroughbred card.

The inclusion at that particular point was at the request of the sponsors, the Emirates Equestrian Federation, as they see their role in promoting Arabian Racing in the UK as a very important one.

As for the comments regarding there being no form for these horses, full form comments are provided in the RP card on the day of the race including a race analysis. Also, full past results and form indexes are available at http://www.aroracing.co.uk and full international Arabian Race form can be found at http://www.ifahr.net.

Although our database is not as advanced as the RP or other TB sites all the information is freely available.

Arabian Racing operates as a microcosm of TB racing. We have our own handicapper so every horse is rated in relation to the other horses registered with us. ARO acts as the administrative body, the disciplinary body and everything else for Arabian Racing in the UK. ARO is, however, regulated by the BHA in the same way that P2P racing is.
    By this, it would mean that placing a Purebred Arabian race in the middle of the card is no different to placing a Hunter Chase in the middle of a card, as both are regulated and approved by the BHA.

I am sure there are plenty of people on here who do not support Arabian Racing and everyone has their own opinion but all I ask is that you give it a chance.

There will be another Purebred Arabian Race, a Group 1 this time, taking place immediately following the King George at Ascot on Saturday 25th July.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or PM me and I will endeavour to pass on as much information as I can.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Hi,

It has been very interesting to see various people’s thoughts on the placement of an Arabian Race in the middle of a prestitigious thoroughbred card.

The inclusion at that particular point was at the request of the sponsors, the Emirates Equestrian Federation, as they see their role in promoting Arabian Racing in the UK as a very important one.

As for the comments regarding there being no form for these horses, full form comments are provided in the RP card on the day of the race including a race analysis. Also, full past results and form indexes are available at http://www.aroracing.co.uk and full international Arabian Race form can be found at http://www.ifahr.net.

Although our database is not as advanced as the RP or other TB sites all the information is freely available.

Arabian Racing operates as a microcosm of TB racing. We have our own handicapper so every horse is rated in relation to the other horses registered with us. ARO acts as the administrative body, the disciplinary body and everything else for Arabian Racing in the UK. ARO is, however, regulated by the BHA in the same way that P2P racing is.
    By this, it would mean that placing a Purebred Arabian race in the middle of the card is no different to placing a Hunter Chase in the middle of a card, as both are regulated and approved by the BHA.

I am sure there are plenty of people on here who do not support Arabian Racing and everyone has their own opinion but all I ask is that you give it a chance.

There will be another Purebred Arabian Race, a Group 1 this time, taking place immediately following the King George at Ascot on Saturday 25th July.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or PM me and I will endeavour to pass on as much information as I can.

I haven’t been able to get Arab Racing for a wee while, but used to go to Market Rasen and Huntingdon meetings in the early and mid 90s. Enjoyed it imensley and I’m not a flat racing man. It is good sport and the horses are beautiful. I can recommend it as a day out

It mus be remembered that Arabian horses are the foundation stallions of the thoroughbred and thus should have their place on any thoroughbred card for that reason alone.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Come on don’t be so stuffy,

The racing fraternity takes life too seriously.

What is wrong with a bit of variety at a racing event.

Gives race goers a chance to compare the two.

Even the odd one or two camel races during the season would not go amiss.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Not sure what I think about this one; when we go racing we usually miss the last race in an attempt to avoid the worst of the traffic, and when we do go racing it’s usually [for me in particular] to see in the flesh horses that I’ve only seen on the television. We also tend not to have a bet in the last race in case we win [ha ha, but, hey, pigs may fly] and it delays our departure. I have been Arab racing at Uttoxeter and have to admit to being a bit bored, although the weather was awful and I had the kids and ‘not all that interested in racing’ ex husband with me. I do agree, however that a bit of diversity is a good thing and, yes, they are beautiful creatures and it does add another dimension to the sport being, as has been pointed out, where racing began. Personally, I would still rather see more old favourites being paraded prior to racing. Where in the card do they have the pony races? They had one at Chepstow when we were there but missed it, so I assume it was at the end of the day.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

I can’t speak for Rules meetings with the same authority, Moe, but the pony races I’ve seen at point-to-point meetings the last few years have proven as likely to occur at the start of the day’s action as the end. Certainly at my regular haunt of Hackwood Park they’re always at the start.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

It’s a bit like moving the bumper earlier… It’s all very well to say "stick it at the end" but how will anyone get to know about it if they all go home before it happens?

Nope, I don’t know any of the horses that might be racing, but I never will if they hide the sport away! Why shouldn’t thoroughbred racing try and give it’s lesser known cousin a boost?

You nevr know, maybe global warming will render us a desert and then arab racing will be the top bomb :D

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Was at Newmarket that day and the majority of people left the track before the Arab race. If the laudable purpose of the sponsors was to expose and promote Arab racing, it didn’t work. Far betteri if it had been the first race on the card, half an hour before the first thoroughbred race, when the majority of racegoers would have arrived. Many more would have watched it.
    On a related point, with the significant decline in flat horses in training this year and worse to come in 2010 because of the economic situation/prize money issues, I wonder whether there is an opportunity for Arab racing to pick up some owners who can no longer, or don’t want to, pay out the amount of money it takes to keep a thoroughbred in training. I don’t know the economics of Arab horses, cost of buying one for example, but the training, etc costs are a lot cheaper. And they are lovely looking horses.

richard

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.