Free Princess Latifa

Home Forums Lounge Free Princess Latifa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Given a choice of what to demonstrate against at the moment, I’d be more inclined to set aside these Johnny Foreigner blackguards and turn westward to the leader of the free world who has abandoned the Kurds to their fate.

What has that got to do with it, Joe?
    How many horses does Donald Trump have in training in Britain?

Answers: ZERO and ZERO.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

How about Khalid Abdulla and other members of the Saud dynasty; and the QIPCO bunch

Cheap Oil and Expensive Thoroughbreds: turn a blind eye, cock a deaf ‘un

Fair comment tbh:
    Those things do make me very uncomfortable Drone. But Khalid Abdulla is not the head of the Saud family. However, if you can tell me what KA himself has personally done wrong – then I may agree with you.

I know something about how people are treated under these regimes, but for me it’s a matter of being personally responsible.

In this case Sheikh Mo is directly respnsible for the wellbeing of his daughter and (one of his) wife.

Personally, I don’t want Sheikh Mo to be stopped from owning horses anyway. Just – at this moment in time – imo should not be welcomed in the way he is. Sucking up to a man that’s done that to his daughter and wife I find particularly sickening.

value is everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

Mike and I were only talking about this yesterday and we both commented on how none of the racing forums/racing press etc mention what has happened to his wife and daughter. And, yes, I found the sucking up to him yesterday stomach churning. I have been meaning to say something for quite a long time now but was worried about causing problems for the forum, which is wrong given that we live in a free society and should be able to voice an opinion. As for the treatment of the Kurds, that, too is awful but is a separate issue. Thanks Gingerstipster.

steeplechasingsteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Ginger, you don’t get to say what I think is the greater evil. When I saw this thread I thought your account had been hacked. You’re a racing man through and through, over decades, and you wish defeat on a champion horse because of its owner? That’s spiteful and nasty in my book.

Of course the Princess should be properly treated. Just as every person in the world should be and, yes, the sheikh should be publicly condemned for what he’s done, but there’s a hefty measure of hypocrisy in this thread. We would all like to believe that faced with speaking truth to power we would always do so and damn the consequences. In reality, holding a broadcasting job and faced with potentially blowing your job and perhaps your career, would you ‘do the right thing?’

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

A lot of bad things have happened, historically by people not ‘doing the right thing’. I personally found the fawning over the Sheikh stomach churning. I had thought that he was keeping a low profile recently but was obviously wrong.

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1267

Nothing wrong with the title Ginge has chosen for this thread. I was hoping too that Pinatubo wouldn’t win. That’s why I reversed the four O’Brien horses in forecasts and tricasts. Aiden has had the first three home in some Group races in the past.

Nothing wrong with that, I guess. When we back a horse we all hope that the rest loses, so that’s why we’re on a winner. There is also nothing wrong with the thought of freeing Princess Latifa.

I understand that Sheikh Mo isn’t the only evil personality in the world of sports or politics who should be publicly condemned and that the list would be a very long one. But, at least Ginge took the first step and shared his opinion with us.

At least that’s his own opinion and not what Timeform says…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Ginger, you don’t get to say what I think is the greater evil. When I saw this thread I thought your account had been hacked. You’re a racing man through and through, over decades, and you wish defeat on a champion horse because of its owner? That’s spiteful and nasty in my book.

Of course the Princess should be properly treated. Just as every person in the world should be and, yes, the sheikh should be publicly condemned for what he’s done, but there’s a hefty measure of hypocrisy in this thread. We would all like to believe that faced with speaking truth to power we would always do so and damn the consequences. In reality, holding a broadcasting job and faced with potentially blowing your job and perhaps your career, would you ‘do the right thing?’

I am not telling you what to think is the greater evil. Another straw man arguement, Joe? What’s happening to the Kurds is also evil, but it’s not a competition for what’s the greatest evil. Point is neither Trump or Erdogan owns horses in Britain, so what’s happening to the Kurds doesn’t come in to HORSE RACING. What matters is whether the treatment of Princess Latifa is evil, not if it is a greater evil than anything else.

I was/am not wishing harm on the/any horse. As Ex-Ruby says, when backing a horse you’re wishing all the others don’t win and when laying a horse a punter is wishing any other horse wins. Is that also “spiteful and nasty in your book”? Surely wishing any other horse wins because the owner is being evil towards his daughter and wife is a better reason to hope a horse loses than financial gain? Horses do not have feelings like humans either. Whether Pinatubo won does not matter in the mind of Pinatubo.

Yes, if I were there I’d “do the right thing” for the greater good. I don’t expect it of others. However, what they definitely should not do is welcome him with open arms and suck up to him. Do think it’s awful TRF brushes this issue under the carpet by moving this to the Lounge. By doing so imo it’s letting down Latifa, Haya and all women everywhere. :negative: :negative: :negative:

:bye:

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Well, Ginge, doubtless you will attend a meeting at some point where the sheikh is there. He seems to move around freely. Approach him and tell him exactly what you think. Have a friend film it for us.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5662

“Do think it’s awful TRF brushes this issue under the carpet by moving this to the Lounge. By doing so imo it’s letting down Latifa, Haya and all women everywhere.”

If we wanted to brush this issue “under-the- carpet” the topic would have been deleted.

If you wish to campaign for women’s rights then please carry-on in The Lounge.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

This isn’t just about women’s rights, it would be just as bad if a boy/man had been kidnapped. It’s about human rights and I’m grateful to Gingertipster for restoring my faith in humanity. Of course it should be on the main page but it won’t be, not because it’s an issue to just be gossiped about but because the Sheikh is powerful in the racing world and people are scared of offending him. And yes, I ‘d be quite happy to tell the Sheikh what I think of him and, if it wasn’t for the fact that I don’t actually go to see flat racing I probably would have done so by now….

Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

If finding myself in a situation able to question Sheikh Mo’ then I shall Joe, but far better/easier if journalists and/or broadcasters step up. Unfortunately I doubt Sheikh Mo’s enterage will allow any mere mortal to ask questions – unlike journalists and broadcasters. Might even do a journalist’s career some good if the people can see him doing what’s right – if having the bottle. ;-)

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Mark, what does a journalist have to gain by confronting him on this? The man would not answer – you know that – he’d turn on his heel and walk away. Journo would get a couple of hours in the sunlight of twitter and forums and then be forgotten while he tries for years to get a new job.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

Didn’t Clare Balding try to ask a question about doping a while back?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

She did. The Independent reported on the result.

Once Sheikh Mohammed elected to watch Dawn Approach compete in the Qipco 2,000 Guineas, it was inevitable that the topic of the recent doping scandal that has shaken his elite Godolphin racing empire and the sport as a whole would be high on any list of questions. Almost as inevitably, its broaching was the cold spoon in the soufflé, even in the aftermath of the colt’s impressive victory.

In the post-race television interview a discussion of Dawn Approach’s five-length spread-eagling of his field was acceptable; a mention of the British Horseracing Authority was not, and met with the rebuke to Clare Balding of an implacably turned back

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

I don’t think the ITV lot should have been confrontational but I kept thinking as I watched some of the racing [listened to most of it on racing radio in another room] that they shouldn’t be wheeling out all those schoolkids and waxing lyrical about Darley etc. I understand that there are obviously court cases going on etc so people have to be careful with what they say, but it was the fawning that really annoyed me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.