The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Free Princess Latifa

Home Forums Lounge Free Princess Latifa

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22225

:wacko:

My wallet wants me to bust into a bank and take the money but heart and mind know better.

Member since March 2008
    DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5099

GingerPro wrote:

If backing a Godolphin horse I will still be thinking Sheikh Mo does not deserve to win. But I think you already know this. Whatever my wallet might want, my heart and mind won’t want a Godolphin horse to win.

Indeed

Many – possibly most – of my bets have been on horses owned, trained or ridden by folk I’d rather not have much to do with in the real world: sentiment and emotion has no place in the ‘serious’ punter’s armoury

‘Wishing a horse would lose’ because you dislike the connections is a trait we’ve all succumbed to on a superficial level; but dislike – or its converse like – should never influence a bet: the horse is everything

Sheikh Mohammed is an odious individual but if I identified Pinatubo or anything else he owns as a sound bet the wallet would be prised open

My punting is almost exclusively on Politics nowadays and gawd knows there’s shites aplenty in that game. But I’d back Trump to win the next US Election, Johnson to win our next GE and the Brexit Party to win x seats if I deemed them ‘value’ whilst being utterly depressed if my bets were successful

If you can’t bring yourself to back a horse/sportsman/team/politician because you don’t like it/him/her/them then don’t bet and enjoy the sneering should it/him/her/them get stuffed and your prejudices get a lift

Pinatubo couldn’t give a toss about anything except his next nosebag of oats, fortunate lad: enjoy him

Participant
    • Total Posts 22225

Yes,
    Ginger does want Sheikh Mo to have winners, you don’t back a horse and hope it loses
    Wallets don’t have a head or a heart and the decision is made by those holding said wallet
    saying now the Sheikh doesn’t deserve to win is different to saying hope it loses.. :good:

Member since March 2008
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Please don’t tell me what I think, Nathan. You’re putting two and two together and making five… again.

For me – and many others who take their betting seriously (I am not unusual) – betting is only a matter of what’s value. Often backing value horses running against some of my favourite racehorses… And then shouted my favourite horse home in close finishes despite the ones I’ve actually backed coming second. Ever since Desert Orchid beat Panto Prince.

I love racing for racing’s sake. Am an investor not a gambler like you.

It’s the same with Godolphin. I might back one of their horses thinking it’s a good/value bet/investment; but will love it if getting beaten – because I hate the owner and don’t think he deserves to win. Same as Drone backs Boris.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22225

You’re a gambler
    Taking much bigger risks than me
    I never come home from work being x amounts of points down.

Member since March 2008
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

I seem to remember being very angry [and saying so at our racing club] about a bookmaker offering odds about Kauto Star falling in a race. This was at the start of his career when a lot of people [me included] thought he was a very dodgy jumper. Then again, it could be my dodgy memory….

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.