Free Princess Latifa

Home Forums Lounge Free Princess Latifa

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8730

The children at Newmarket last Friday came from the Newmarket Academy and were there to explore jobs within the racing industry, its a regular turnout from the Academy at the Future Champions meeting and they only stay for the first two races then move on to Palace House Heritage Centre to see racehorses being retrained and the new Peter O’Sullivan House for Injured jockeys etc.

I too feel uneasy about the fawning and think it is due to the hefty investment that Sheikh Mo has made within the town, however last October he was voted against being made Honarary Freeman of Newmarket which must have been a hard knock to take (but the right decision)..here is is portion of the article…

An extraordinary meeting for Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum to be made a Freeman of the Town of Newmarket was met with a strong backlash from Labour opposition and young people in Newmarket.

Sheikh Mohammed has donated large sums to fund schools in the town and pledged £1million to build a state-of-the-art library for Newmarket Academy.

However that sparked concerns from residents in the West Suffolk town, who were upset at the United Arab Emirates’ human rights record.

Labour member Ollie Bowen said: “Giving the title of Freeman of the Town is a medieval practice which originally granted select citizens freedom from serfdom.

“Other medieval practices continue in the UAE, including stoning, flogging and the detention of those who criticise authority.”

The meeting and the councillors were split over the decision, but the vote on awarding the title was withdrawn before it was voted upon.

Councillor Michael Jeffreys said: “We had a great turnout of younger people at the meeting who felt it was morally wrong.”

The council conceded to instead vote on sending a letter of thanks to Sheikh Mohammed, which received unanimous support.

Sheikh Mohammed has ruled Dubai since 2006 and began to invest in Newmarket’s horse racing industry when his thoroughbred team, Godolphin, came to the UK.

He founded the Newmarket Academy Godolphin Beacon Project in 2016, which works to improve the education and facilities at Newmarket Academy and will be building their new library this academic year.

As a racing fan I will continue to support and follow the horses trained by Charlie Appleby and others who train for Godolphin as so many jobs within our racing industry would be lost if Sheikh Mo and his entourage pulled the plug on their operation within the UK,

I do agree with everything said about the Princess Latifa and Princess Haya of Jordan and there is another Princess Shamsa of concern also I believe.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

It really annoyed me when so much of the coverage for yesterday’s England match was dedicated to the racism. Who cares? It was a football match so they should have been talking about the football and leaving the discussions of racism to the current affairs shows…

This would be a fair opinion if sports and culture/politics were completely autonomous of one another but this is patently not the case. Sports are firmly embedded in cultural and political landscapes and when politics encroaches into a sporting event then that encroachment becomes a matter for the sport itself. To silence or dismiss very legitimate grievances pertinent to a prominent actor within a sport is not to be neutral. It legitimises the actor and his actions while condemning the dissident.

Good thread Mark.

steeplechasingsteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

BH, that’s fine if it is the sport taking a position on matters like these. But to criticise a journalist or broadcasting company for not making a lone stand is ridiculous, in my view.

To wish a defeat on a horse who might be anything and could easily finish his career unbeaten … Jeez, how does that bring justice to anyone or any situation?

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

There’s something similar going on at the moment with the NBA and China. Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey made a pro Hong Kong comment before retracting same after pressure from the NBA who themselves were under pressure from China. This led to a large amount of outcry against the NBA because an American citizen was prohibited from speaking freely at the behest of a foreign party. If a UK journalist spoke out against Mr Mo before finding him or herself permanently unemployed then that would be a vile blight on the sport and on the profession.

Nevertheless, this isn’t even about rebuking Mr Mo as it is heaping praise on the individual. If one was a victim of domestic abuse, how vile would it be to watch an entire industry singing “for he’s a jolly good fellow” in uniform for (allegedly) one of the world’s most notable and egregious offenders? Even if it’s too much to ask for explicit condemnation, are journalists or producers able to state that they feel uncomfortable with the sycophancy?

As for Pinotubo himself, as has been suggested, he doesn’t care. His feelings are safe. What it comes down to is success for Pinotubo means good PR for Mr Mo. I find expressing ones discomfort with same is a much more agreeable than burying ones head in the sand or sentimentalising a morally neutral animal to the detriment of human victims.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Doubtless Pinatubo doesn’t care, but I care about what he goes on to achieve, and I suspect many thousands of others do. That’s aside from what he can do for racing if he turns out to be a superstar I as I believe he will.

Had Ginger or anyone else wished defeat on Frankel at the peak of his powers for something his owner had done, I wonder how that would have gone down.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

Is there a direct causational link between a marque horse and the attraction and retention of racing fans? It’s another discussion really but assuming that to be the case then at what ethical cost? Furthermore, much depends on the human stories attached to the horse if the horse doesn’t stand out on its own accord. Frankel was Sir Henry Cecil’s last hurrah. Enable is Frankie’s supermare. The House of Saud was hardly a matter of discussion (while not completely absent from discussions). The human story to Pinatubo is a resurgence of Godolphin and Mr Mo is only too happy to be a part of the horse’s narrative.

All that being said, it is perfectly fine to acknowledge the accomplishments of a horse while simultaneously denigrating the owner. It is even alright for personal opinions of an owner to play a factor in how one becomes emotionally invested in a sporting event. People root for individual athletes on account of personal preferences in every other sport so there is no reason why horse racing should be any different. Personally, while I think Tiger Roll is an admirable beast, the fact that he is owned by a contemptible piece of work will always cloud his legacy for me. Conversely, I would have been delighted had One For Arthur retained the Grand National because that’s a much nicer story than the boss of Ryanair buying the race. It also happens to be better for the sport’s image.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5734

Well, I suppose it’s down to personal outlook – I can’t stand O’Leary and particularly his blackmail notes to the handicapper over the National, but I don’t have an ounce of enmity toward any of his horses.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7727

I really don’t think the OP wishes any harm on Pinatubo other than using him as a bit of click bait [which worked and didn’t harm the horse in the slightest]. When we visited Newmarket the impression I had was a place that felt great affection for Henry Cecil but only tolerated Godolphin [as they were then]. I could be wrong. At the end of the day,without the Arabs we wouldn’t have thoroughbred horses racing each other and for that I shall be eternally grateful, but it doesn’t mean that I have to condone Sheikh Mo’s treatment of his womenfolk.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

Ditto. I don’t believe anybody in this thread holds any enmity towards any horse nor wishes any horse any harm. Saying one hopes a horse loses is the same as “I would rather a horse not owned by suchasuch wins instead” which boils down to semantics more than anything else.

Where O’Leary is concerned, if I felt any negative emotion regarding the horses running for him, it would be pity. Most of them are purchased, highly tried, used to clog up handicaps then flogged. “Good riddance” doesn’t do his withdrawal from the game justice and I hope he gets bored with the flat before too long.

On a similar note, is the game entirely dependent on “the Arabs”? (not tarring all with the same brush – I am not familiar enough with the affairs of everyone from the peninsular to do so) If they left for whatever reason (wells running dry, political turmoil etc), the sport would still exist just as it did before them, just as it will after them. It will look different just as it does with the rise and fall of all racing empires and dynasties.

With this in mind, is it really worth mollycoddling any group or person?

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20974

Using Pinatubo as click bait sort of defeats the object of the thread.. :unsure:
    Agree with Joe in that if a thread title was Hope Frankel loses the thread maker would be could a troll

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8730

Agreed Nathan & Joe. :good:

Would like to see Pinatubo’s name taken out of the title of this Thread as he has nothing to do with the problems being discussed here.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

The removal of Pinatubo’s name from the thread can not be done without an aggressive cognitive dissonance.

Any success of Pinatubo is intrinsically linked with the financial and reputational wellbeing of Mr Mo. Similarly the reputation of the sport is not quarantined from that of its figureheads. Particularly in the modern media age. There have already been protests in America. Do we need that in the UK?

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5662

OK, I have changed the title of the “thread” as some members were not comfortable with it.

goodfellow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 616

I know that being an admin is a thankless task but I don’t agree with the moving of this thread from horse racing to the lounge or changing the title because a few people had a different view. People are entitled to a different view which is not the case in Dubai. Will the title now be changed back because I disagree? This is a major topic for horse racing and moving such an important and well contributed thread on all sides of the argument to the back waters of the longe is contributing to the sense that the forum as a whole is no longer relevant. Such debate should be welcome and encouraged.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1263

I am not comfortable with the title of the thread being vandalised. Can you change it back now?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.