The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Free Princess Latifa

Home Forums Lounge Free Princess Latifa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

On the day Sheikh Mo’ runs the best two year old he’s ever had in the Dewhurst.

Should we be welcoming Sheikh Mo’ at all?
    If I were a stable lad the last thing I’d want would be to be associated with Stable Staff awards sponsored by Darley.
    How long before demonstrations on racecourses?

Free-ee Prin-cess La-ti-fa. :rose:

value is everything
    goodfellow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 646

I agree. Well done for raising this important topic. His country’s human rights record is shocking. There seems to be a lack of coverage of this in the racing world. Everyone says he is a great sport but many are exploited by his regime.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

I would be most surprised if there were demonstrations on racecourses – the racing world is well known for not wanting to get on the wrong side of the Sheikhs, probably due to the fact they have pretty much bankrolled British racing since their arrival…..not that that should be any excuse.

Lets be fair and say that pretty much all of the owners from that part of the world are more often than not from countries that have massive issues with human rights and freedoms in general and it is not just the racing world that (to varying extents) stick their fingers in their ears and go la la la la whilst still dealing with them.

Yes they should be held to account more on those particular issues to do better and clean up their acts but with business/money being the bottom line in most things I doubt that things in that regard will change even half as quickly as we would like.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Am sure you’re right about the horse racing authorities and normal racegoers ignoring the situation. Just seen Sheikh Mo’ get a presentation at Newmarket – for what he’s done for the Racing Industry. But any member of the public can pay to get in to racecourses. Suspect it won’t be long before we get demonstrations… And tbh I’d join in the chorus of:

Free-ee Prin-cess La-ti-fa.

value is everything
    Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1498

I rarely agree with you Ginge, but I support this one 100%. You can’t treat him like a king and avoid asking unpleasant questions. He should become an unwelcome guest on British racecourses.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Might get them doing it outside the racecourses but paying significant money to get in to do it I am not so sure about

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5099

I sympathise and empathise with the sentiments expressed; but why restrict them to the Maktoums?

How about Khalid Abdulla and other members of the Saud dynasty; and the QIPCO bunch

Cheap Oil and Expensive Thoroughbreds: turn a blind eye, cock a deaf ‘un

TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1226

It’s always been a bit of a moral dilemma for me too, and the fawning is particularly uncomfortable. But then, as Drone suggests, if racehorse ownership was restricted to those who obtained their money through ethical means, fields would be very small indeed.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Given a choice of what to demonstrate against at the moment, I’d be more inclined to set aside these Johnny Foreigner blackguards and turn westward to the leader of the free world who has abandoned the Kurds to their fate.

As for Pinatubo, leave him alone. He didn’t choose his owner. With every run he reminds me more of Mill Reef. I’m even planning a trip to Newmarket for the Guineas.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

Are you planning on going Cheltenham this year Joe…??
    I’m going on the Thursday of the festival to see Paisley Park (touch wood)
    Nothing to do with the thread but the thread should be in the lounge
    Hope Arsenal go down #freeprincesslatifa #dontflyemirates #pinatuboforthe2000

Member since March 2008
    SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Am too old and irritable to attend the festival these days, Nathan. Watch it at home with friends and a few beers. I hope the wee fella (Alex?) is doing all right.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

hein bollowhein bollow
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 992

Exactly Joe, this headline is certainly not the brightest :negative:
    Racing is full of criminals, and if people wish to engage for the Princess then why not go ahead,
    instead of absurdly blaming this wonderful horse!

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

It was great to see Pinatubo win but it was a hard watch the ITV team sucking up to Sheikh Mohammed. His wife is now in hiding with their children, fearing for her life. I’m with GT on this one.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

Alex is doing well, thank you Joe.
    He recently went up a grade in Violin and is busy with school work etc
    He hasn’t really got into sport but I was proud of him coming 2nd in the sprint at Sports day, must have inherited my speed and that was with little training other than me chasing him around the house.
    I understand about Cheltenham, I haven’t been to the festival for at least 3 years now so thought I’d give it another whirl as I took the offer of free tickets from racing rewards, will take my brother as he has never been so it will be an experience for him.

Member since March 2008
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26588

Exactly Joe, this headline is certainly not the brightest :negative:
    Racing is full of criminals, and if people wish to engage for the Princess then why not go ahead,
    instead of absurdly blaming this wonderful horse!

:wacko:
    That’s an absurd comment, Hein. Not the brightest from you.
    Nobody is “blaming this wonderful horse”. :negative:
    Just don’t want this particular owner to win until he frees this woman.

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.