The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 299 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 223

1. Killyglen
    2. Denman
    3. State of Play
    4. Gone to Lunch

Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

My first 4 home:-

1> Denman
    2> Killyglen
    3> Cappa Bleu
    4> What A Friend

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Killyglen obviously me main one in this however if they try to force the pace for denman to show his best, they could set things up nicely for an improved run from Neptune Collonges who on similar ground in a fast paced race ran a stormer at cheltenham in the albert bartlett in 2008.

My idea of the 1st 4 (which is a nightmare which would take all of them to be in top form) would be-

Killyglen
    Nenuphar Collonges
    Casey Jones
    An accordion

• Total Posts 2440

Casey Jones isn’t running, Bulwark.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Always a race to remember,i shall have a go with:-
    1,Barbers Shop,
    2,An Accordion,
    3,What a friend,
    4,Snowy Morning,

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Cheers Gaz, just noticed after I posted that.

Have went through the card several times again, and have reassessed. Going for 3 instead of four. Think An accordion will like the ground but think there will be plenty of pace here and not sure if he’ll see it out.

One who I hadnt really been considering until I re-thought about it was War Of Attrition. I think his optimal conditions are a fast pace on good ground over this sort of trip, however it has been so long since he had those sort of conditions that its possible that he actually still holds some ability there, and his last couple of runs werent completely disgraceful on a surface I dont think was optimal at 33-1 I think he’s a play. I dont think conditions tomorrow are quite perfect but they arent a million miles away and it would surprise me to see him run a decent race as he isnt harshly treated here.

Killyglen and Nenuphar obviously I’ve already mentioned.

So it’s

Killyglen 8-1
    Nenuphar Collonges 20-1
    War Of Attrition 33-1

for me.

• Total Posts 223

WoA needs to be fresher than he will be tomorrow to be at this best imo. If he was going to be a force this season I think he would have shown us by now. Past it I reckon

• Total Posts 2184

WoA needs to be fresher than he will be tomorrow to be at this best imo. If he was going to be a force this season I think he would have shown us by now. Past it I reckon

He jumped as bad as I’ve ever seen him jump at Down Royal. I put that down to the ground up north for that race which was cat. He didn’t jump out of it at all and he is usually such a great jumper – one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I think for him to run third in those circumstances wasn’t a bad performance and I’d expect a good show from him tomorrow. He isn’t the force of old but he is still well able to compete against tomorrow’s field. Everything is geared towards Liverpool with him this year though I’m led to belive.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Hate backing the queens colours usually as I think they’re cursed – but Barbers Shop ticks all the boxes so I’ll have to exercise that demon in the quest for cash.

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Snowy Morning seems a big price to me and I do like Paul Townend’s style

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,
    OFFSHORE ACCOUNT
    KORNATI KID
    KILLYGLEN
    DENMAN..

regards,

doyley

• Total Posts 1982

Have had a flutter on Killyglen and My Will.

I know I haven’t put MW in my ‘first four’, but he’s overpriced for a horse of his class and always seems to run well in these type of races. His recent second at Down Royal proved his wellbeing and he should be all the better for it.

The absence of Carruthers will help Denman, but I’d rather watch and hope he returns to his best.

What a days racing! Some fantastic horses on show at Newbury, Newcastle and Fairyhouse this weekend. Some bubbles will burst, some new talent will emerge.

Looking forward to it!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I was just looking at the prices on Oddschecker, and, on looking at the going description suddenly remembered how ground dependant My Will has been over the years..he’s a horse that tends to get overlooked a lot, probably because he tends to run good races but without actually winning. Deserves a bit one imo [apologies if I’ve forgotten some good races that he has won; am emerging from some sort of lurgy and my brain is more fuzzy than usual..]. However, if I was well enough to go to the bookies I’d probably have an ew on my old pal Niche Market, even though everything is against him [and he’s not good enough!]We’ve got 2 Gold Cup winners; an Irish and English Grand Nation winner..how amazing is this race??

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

A very difficult race, have done an ew on Gone To Lunch, without any confidence whatsoever.

• Total Posts 1537

The vibes are good on What a Friend. I’ve picked up on one or two things regarding this horse, but i won’t be backing because that side of things has been done. The word seems positive on him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I haven’t looked at the race in depth but fancy Mon Mone, a score each way at 66-1.

I’d accept a place with them odds, could stay on well in testing ground

• Total Posts 1046

wow unreal

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 299 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.