The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Heatwave Warning

Home Forums Horse Racing Heatwave Warning

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

With the Met Office issuing a heatwave warning for this coming week – are we close to a point where for the sake of our horses welfare we consider abandoning afternoon meetings this week?

Or, is it completely safe to race horses in these types of temps?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

They can all come up to Scotland and race. It’s dull and misty up here and has been for three days.

Heatwave, what’s that?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As long as racecourses provide sufficient water to keep horses hydrated, I don’t see there being a problem – marathons are run in searing heat, and Formula 1 drivers regularly endure track temperatures in excess of 45C.

The only issue a heatwave (otherwise known as ‘the weather’ in most other countries) may give rise to is the questionable effect of watering and how it is managed.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

In Australia, I believe the cut off tends to be when temperatures are forecast to reach 40C, although I don’t think there’s an "official" rule in place yet.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

As long as racecourses provide sufficient water to keep horses hydrated, I don’t see there being a problem

Thanks Equi, it’s just common sense really isn’t it, after all no race-course is gonna run out of water, surely. :x

What a bunch of clowns at Worcester. Hottest day of the year and they can’t work out they may need extra water of the course. What a laughing stock this game is at times.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It does amaze me how this sport manages to come up with new ways of shooting itself in the foot. :cry:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Paul Struthers has apparently said that racing was abandoned on welfare grounds, rather than because there wasn’t enough water.

Are the two not clearly related?

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Paul Struthers has apparently said that racing was abandoned on welfare grounds, rather than because there wasn’t enough water.
    Are the two not clearly related?

Yes, although the one was being used to correct the other in this instance.
    I hope other racecourses will take note.
    ALTHOUGH FLOOR TO CEILING DIVIDING WALLS IN STABLES ARE GREAT FOR THE FIGHT AGAINST CONTAGIOUS DISEASES, THEY HINDER AIR CIRCULATION. SORT THE VENTILATION OUT.
    This goes for every course which has built new stables over the last 5 or so years.

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 217

Despite the CoC’s valiant attempts to stick to the official party line, the fact remains that if there had been an adequate supply of water, racing would have gone ahead.

Leaking pipes, hoses that don’t fit, inadequate number of bowsers, etc. etc., on what was forecast to be the hottest day of the year, all point to managerial incompetence and indifference. Worcester seems to have a death-wish, and if today’s events serve to hasten the closure of the decrepit dump, I for one won’t be sorry.

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

I have just returned from Worcester and as Highflyer says if there had been adequate water supplies the race meeting would have continued. Sadly Worcester seem far more concerned with filling their hospitality marquee than looking after the sport’s interests and to the outside world must be a laughing stock – a racecourse next to a river that cannot supply enough water!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

As long as racecourses provide sufficient water to keep horses hydrated, I don’t see there being a problem – marathons are run in searing heat, and Formula 1 drivers regularly endure track temperatures in excess of 45C.

Post of the year so far, very prophetic.
    It was embarrassing hearing the COC trying to squirm out of it and if indeed Paul Struthers said that, can he add when it last occurred?

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

The only plus side is, a lot of horses were saved a ride home with various limbs strapped together. That is assuming they had made a hash of watering as they had at the last meeting.
    I love Worcester as a lovely fair track, but I think they should give up on the summer game.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Official statement as follows (apologies for jumping the gun, Silvoir!)

Professor Tim Morris, Director of Equine Science and Welfare, said:

“We are fully aware of the effects of heat on horses, both at rest and when performing, for racehorses and in other equine disciplines. The Authority’s Veterinary Officers have been well briefed as to how to cope with situations of high temperature and today’s successful use of water on the distressed horse was a result of our preparations to ensure that horses received as much water as possible.

“The length of time taken for the distressed horse, Highland Laddie, to be treated for dehydration, and the amount of water used, was exceptional. The delay this caused, coupled with the exceptionally high temperatures in the stable yard, meant the horses due to run in the following race were already becoming dehydrated.

“The abandonment of racing on the grounds of horse welfare was undoubtedly the right course of action, and supported by the trainers and jockeys the Stewards spoke to – Nicky Henderson, Seamus Mullins, John Mackie, Richard Johnson, Robert Thornton and AP McCoy.

“We have asked for separate reports from both the Stewards and the Worcester Executive and our Racecourse Inspectorate will visit Worcester ahead of their next meeting (on the evening of Wednesday 8th July) to see if any improvements can be made in terms of the availability of water.”

A good background piece on horseracing in the heat from 3 years ago can be read here:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ … 689562.ece

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

How many gallons of water can a horse drink ff’s sake?

Forgotten the smiley happy, or was that a serious comment?

elcartero
    Participant
    • Total Posts 861

The management could not run a bath.

Not at the moment, they couldn’t….obviously!