The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hawk Wing

Home Forums Archive Topics Hawk Wing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Scottf
    • Total Posts 53

Again excuses made for another defeat especially by Balding – Isn’t it time these people realised HW isn’t the superstar they all predicted?

To say he would have won if right is to say O’Brien would run him less than 100% which I just don’t believe.

3 defeats in 4 races this season surely summises he isn’t as good as everyone thought he was?

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’m afraid so – he looks a million dollars, but he didn’t want to battle today, and that’s the difference between a very good horse and a great one.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Well I’ve always thought he has been over hyped, although I understood why.

Surely not another excuse again (the coughing) but it was a great race.

I was cheering on Grandera and was gobsmacked at the result, it was a real thriller. Amazing.

Grandera 1m2f and fast ground. Hawk Wing to wait until the ground comes up fast again and if not he should stay in training next year.

STE601
    • Total Posts 23

A horse of exceptional ability and like many greats to miss their targets ie,DancingBrave……take nothink away from the victor but enjoy your success at the expense of a top class horse.It’s what you win not what you should have one that counts but give the horse a bit of credit for his ability and acheivments.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

When I started gambling one of the first horses I thought was going to be a superstar was called Gorytus trained by Dick Hern.He was doped when odds on for the Dewhurst and was never the same again despite many chances.The lesson I learned was that it is an expensive business making excuses especially when the horse is likely to start at short odds.

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

I’ve always been in the Hawk Wing camp, but yes, the coughing excuse aside, I’m afraid I’ve conceded defeat now. He could and should have won easily; the moment when he should have flown was obvious and he clearly looked like he bottled it.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Hawk Wing is a very good horse, but NOT a champion… He is definitely beatable, but is only disappointing because of huge amounts of overhype.

I’m sure that his connections were reluctant to put him under too much pressure until they were sure he wasn’t "wrong" but he still looks to be not quite as good as was hoped.

why did aidan o’brien bring his string back today? pressure because it was the champion stakes? they weren’t ready…

ZZASS
    • Total Posts 38

Another thing WHY was he at the start with the horse and it wasn’t because of he was down there with his son ?

If so why was he on the phone and checking over Hawk Wing all the time , makes you think doesn’t it

<br>Zzass :wave:

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

I’ve been a Hawk Wing fan  from the moment I saw him, and watching him go to post in the Derby he looked the perfect racehorse. There’s been excuses every time he’s been beaten, quite possibly legitimate excuses. He probably wasn’t fully fit today but he gave up in the fight. I really believe if he was fully fit he would have beaten Grandera today but fit or not he just didn’t want to fight, and thats what makes a great horse- one that won’t back down. I’d love to see him in training as a four year old but I can’t see that happening and I take it the BC Classic will be next. Earlier on in the season I’d have said he had a good chance of winning but now I think he’ll be 2nd-he’ll be there with a chance but won’t fight.

STE601
    • Total Posts 23

Hawkwing idled a bit in front and let Grandera catch him on the line , but Frankie rode a fantastic race and MK was a little bit easey on Hawkwing. This hose can still put up a performance like that when not 100% fit speakes volumes to me and i would fully expect to recoup my losseson him when he comes out 100% fit.Still a fantastic horse with a lot of ability and still has to prove himself a true champion.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

How anyone here can say Hawk Wing did’nt fight yesterday is beyond me. Think what you like of the horse but give it a little respect……………he gave his all yesterday.

phunter
    • Total Posts 125

Yes he did give his all yesterday but once again just fell short , you can only make so many excuses for a horse not winning.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

"you can only make so many excuses for a horse not winning"<br>I have never understood this mentallity? If there is a valid excuse should it be ignored as the horse has had excuses made for him before? The FACT that the horse was back two weeks in training after suffering a virus which stopped the whole yard…………..is that not a valid excuse??? Look what it did to Sophisticat and Landseer. I only hope the horse gets the chance to prove how good he is weither it be this year or next year.

phunter
    • Total Posts 125

What mentality is that Aiden ..the mentality that knows when to stop listening to same stories everytime something doesn’t go right….knowing that yard had setback would had me more inclined perhaps not to run the horse in such a race.<br>Over the years we hear stories about the Derby taking so much out of a horse maybe it is the case the horse has had one hard race to many if that is the case then maybe we are being to hard on the horse but time like everything else will tell…personaly i tend not to side with one camp or another so i am not having a go at Hawk wing Aiden if i offended you i can only apologise.

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

Agree with Aidan on this one, can’t understand why people are saying the horse didn’t want to fight.  If that was the case he wouldn’t have gone past Best Of The Bests.  Grandera came so late and fast there was no time for HW to respond.  What was missing was the devastating burst of accelaration that we saw in the Guineas and the National stakes.  Could it be he doesn’t have it over 10f?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.