The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Great point to point meeting

Home Forums Horse Racing Great point to point meeting

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Happy Jack on 11:20 pm on Feb. 3, 2007[br]Bica beat absolutely nothing today but still did it in pretty impressive fashion. He will be the Waley-Cohen’s Cheltenham horse while Katarino will be going to Liverpool again.<br>

<br>They’ve got Mel In Blue in reserve as well, haven’t they? Pretty impressive at Larkhill on seasonal bow, and still not without interest if turned to hunter chases hereafter despite a reversal since.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Mully on 9:52 pm on Feb. 3, 2007[br]Glad you enjoyed your day. I am at  Black Forest Lodge tomorrow, not a great card but hopefully excellent weather.<br>

<br>Remind me, isn’t BFL just up the road from Dawlish? I must have driven past it several dozen times on holidays at my great aunt’s back in the late 1980s but never had the pleasure of taking a meeting there.

Ideford Arch can’t be too far away from that neck of the woods, either. Both are on my list of PtP courses to visit. Come to think of it, ANY West Country PtP course is.

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from cormack15 on 10:11 pm on Feb. 3, 2007[br]"Being there made you glad to be alive!"

This IS a ptp we’re talking Adrian is it?

<br>Nurse, my sides. :biggrin:<br>

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

Quote: from jonny33 on 11:03 pm on Feb. 3, 2007[br]i was at wetherby today. bica was a most impressive winner of the hunter chase. could he be another foxhunter winner for the whaley cohens?<br>

Yep, a promising run from Bica. It’s been a lively start to the Hunters’ season with the useful Le Passing winning today and Sonevafushi at Wincanton. Regarding the Foxhunters: of the three Sonevafushi would interest me most at this early stage, if only because he’s a most accomplished fencer and is proven over 3m+. Plenty of tlc will be required from Venetia though as his resolution has often been questionable.

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

Hi Gray yes BLF is just up the road from Dawlish, close to Kenton. Ideford Arch is very close to Newton Abbott. I had wonderful weather today. The ground dried up quickly. Good results and Tom Malone did  the commentary. Happy Days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Mully on 10:16 pm on Feb. 4, 2007[br]<br> Good results and Tom Malone did  the commentary.<br>

<br>This is becoming an increasingly regular little side project for him, isn’t it? And all thanks to that day over three years ago when Kel Mansfield failed to turn up at Exeter, so he and Katie Langdell did the commentary instead.

I presumed there were a few commentating berths going spare – for Malone or anyone else – in the Devon and Cornwall area following Peter Wakeham’s retirement. Who else calls in that part of the world nowadays?

You might also know this if you’re from that part of the world, Mully: who was the J Cotterell who used to commentate at Exeter and Newton Abbot yonks ago? I was going through some old cards from my holidays in that part of the world between 1987 and 1991 the other day, and he was always the caller if neither Raleigh Gilbert nor – a very young – Simon Holt was.

Cheers,

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 11:44 pm on Feb. 4, 2007)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

AP,

It was certainly incredibly sunny on Saturday.  I was up in the commentary box with James Crispe and it was very difficult to pick out the runners – especially during the first couple races – as they were just silhouettes as we tried to shield our eyes from the sun.  Even Iain Mackenzie wished us "good luck" with the 17 runner younger horse maiden – where there was plenty of carnage including one of the favourites running through the wing.

I can’t remember any fences being dolled off due to low light in East Anglia but maybe Happy Jack’s memory is better than mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.