The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

gamblers

Home Forums Lounge gamblers

Viewing 6 posts - 18 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Lovely Lady
    Participant
    • Total Posts 160

Not to leave the ladies out of it,  in the late 1930’s racehorse owners Dorothy Paget and Mrs J.V. Rank were noted gamblers who thought nothing of  having £10,000 [320,000 today] on one of their horses.  Apparently they were the biggest gamblers of their day.

[above from Wikipedia]

As a gambler with human life General Custer takes the biscuit.  <br>

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 2:06 pm on Feb. 26, 2007[br]<br>From the acting profession, you have Wilfred Hyde White and Robert Morley who were fearless gamblers.

Official receiver: "what has caused you to file for bankruptcy"

Wilfrid Hyde-White: "novice hurdles sir"

• Total Posts 2432

Drone LOL.:biggrin:   The pair of them HAD to work till ripe old ages because of their love of the turf.  A lesson perhaps? But that’s a cracking story.

Lovely Lady, Mrs Rank was such a massive bettor that her husband (of the mega rich and theatrical Rank family), had to purchase a bookmaking enterprise to keep an eye on her unbelievable wagers.

Taken alongside Dorothy Paget, there were few male gamblers who could compete with the sheer size of their bets, (although Miss Paget was allegedly a slow payer as well as being "difficult").

God, I love a woman who punts. Such a rarity.

Lovely Lady
    Participant
    • Total Posts 160

Maxilon 5,

I must admit until I’d read that article I had never heard of Mrs Rank, so thanks for that little tidbit.   I knew of Dorothy Paget a long time ago when I cared for an elderly lady who knew her and told me about her gambling and other idiosyncracies, and just to name drop this lady had been a one time girl friend of a young Billy Hills.   A lot went on around Wigmore Street, London in those days apparently.

I’m afraid I’m not in their league Max.   Will a £5 punter suffice?….lol !<br>

Malc Smith
    • Total Posts 61

Drone

I remember that line from "Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell" who was, of course, a betting man.

Who can forget O’Toole’s portrayal of the cat racing in Battersea?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

It’s one of those anecdotes whose truth is questionable and <br>just the sort of smart one-liner many would happily credit to Jeff B, even if he didn’t actually originate it.

Viewing 6 posts - 18 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.