The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Smoking Ban

Home Forums Lounge Smoking Ban

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. tonight was my first night out in a pub since the smoking ban has come in in Scotland.

The places I used to go to where half empty and the atmosphere, although smoke free was a bit flat.

I can only wonder what the economic impact will be eventually, any thoughts ?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Jeez dave – we need to get you out more!

The economic impact on teh health service will be hugely beneficial. Dunno about pub landlords however.

I’ve been out and about in England/Wales recently and, after almost a year smoke-free up here, it was horrendous to have to sit like a kipper in a a smoke-house again.

Why we allowed smoking to continue for so long in public places is a mystery.  

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. I’m not to sure about the saving for the NHS, I get the feeling that the kids that were brought up on chicken nuggets and playstations, could well take up any slack on the health front. I was just a bit suprised how quiet it was everywhere.

I should get out more though, your right .. :cool:

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

If yer want a bit of fun<br>   my candid would be <br>   to look out for a beer and skittles evening<br>   in a private members.<br>   Sometimes they advertise for greenhorns.<br>   Before you ring the number<br>   just check the barmaids age is near to wrinkly.<br>   The :old: ones will more than likely<br>   put your skittles up

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"Why we allowed smoking to continue for so long in public places is a mystery."

Perhaps because we live in a supposedly free and democratic society!!  

Ban cars in my vicinity. I say!;)

Colin

ps Gamble, I worry about your sleeping patterns.:)

(Edited by seabird at 11:32 am on Feb. 4, 2007)

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Colin,

That is why it is banned. The majority do not want smoking in public places.

Have to agree with Cormack about how quickly you get used to the pleasant smoke free atmosphere and how noticably irritating it now is when you go to English pubs.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Is that fact, Kevin?

Colin

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

As a student studying in Scotland/ living in Englans, its about the only part of Scotland I prefer to England! The pubs and bookies are much nicer, smoke-free environment. Though if I smoked, I would probably think differently.

Oy Grassy, how come you didn’t rack up some points in the 4PP yesterday?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I’m not a smoker and hate breathing in other peoples fag smoke, but telling private businesses like pubs and restaurants that they MUST ban smoking is wrong. People can choose not to spend their money in places that allow smoking if they feel that strongly about it; the state should keep its nose out of it.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I have never smoked but I have shared my life with smokers since I was born and that’s a long time.

The idea that smaokers should be treated as pariahs is totally abhorrent to me.

If you don’t want to spend time where people are smoking don’t go there.

I, for one, am not happy with the facts?? produced to support the passive/anti-passive smoking debate. How were these stats compiled?

Colin<br>

(Edited by seabird at 5:50 pm on Feb. 4, 2007)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

The fact of the matter is .. the pubs are half empty !!

The problem is though Kevin, or so it seems to me, is that the people who support the ban on smoking in pubs arent neccessarily the same people that use them regularly.

.. like I would support a ban on dish-washers, but I dont have one .. ?!

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Just kidding Grassy, I could have done with you winning that’s all, having a few, erm, well, difficulties.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Quote: from cormack15 on 1:09 am on Feb. 3, 2007[br]<br>The economic impact on teh health service will be hugely beneficial. <br>

Not so guv. It would be ‘beneficial’ to the NHS if smoking were to boom:

The revenue (~£9 Billion annually) the exchequer receives from duty on tobacco more than offsets the costs of treating smoking related illness (~£2 Billion)

It is cheaper to look after and offer palliative treatment to mentally fit smokers in their 60s and 70s suffering from terminal lung cancer/heart disease etc  than it is an 80 year old non-smoker with the heart and lungs of a 20 year old and the brain of a 2 year old who can be expected to live for several years.

Alzheimers/senility is uncommon in smokers partly due to earlier death but it also appears increasingly probable that nicotine helps prevent/delays Alzheimers.

An ageing population with its associated increase in senility is what does – and increasingly will – cost the NHS and government (via pensions) a vast amount of money: care for the ‘healthy old’ who ‘looked after themselves’ but are now senile and/or immobile.

And personally I would rather die coughing my guts up with brain and dignity intact enjoying a lucid – if opiate tinged – conversation on my deathbed with nearest and dearest than sink into senility and die not realising that I’d spent several years being spoonfed and having my bum wiped by a third party: a grossly undignified slow way to die and and an equally grossly unfair burden on family and state.

As for the smoking ban and it’s ludicrous juxtapostion with the get-p**s<br>ed culture and the dubious morals of a particularly squalid government, Grasshopper’s post is spot on.

Democracy = liberty + tolerance of minorities<br>

(Edited by Drone at 10:39 pm on Feb. 4, 2007)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

What about the staff memebrs of these public places – should they just **** off and get a job in a non-smoking place because there is so many of them isn’t there?

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

I have never smoked either. If someone wants to kill themselves with some nasty cancer then fine by me. I do not want to breath the same cancerous chemicals while I am polluting my liver with alcohol.<br> <br>Its the mindset that I cannot understand. If the local pub sold a beer where the glass said on huge letters "DRINKING THIS s**t
    WILL GIVE YOU CANCER AND THE PEOPLE DRINKING NEXT TO YOU" then I am sure that would be socially acceptable. NOT

Same goes for buying something in the supermarkert that says "EAT ME I’M CANCEROGENIC" and I will make you smell like an ash tray.

Think about it! Smoking kills.

<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.