The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2390

There’s a good film on the beeb tonight – Anita & Me

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Not a film as such, but just finished watching Martina Cole’s ‘The Take’ which was screened over four parts on Sky One. Really, really enjoyed it and thought Tom Hardy was brilliant in it.

Having watched Bronson aswell with Hardy in it, I think he plays that type of role very well. Thought Bronson wasn’t half as good as it could have been either and was pretty disappointed with it. Now it’s out on DVD I might give it another chance though as I sometimes find a film better when watching it a second time round.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Didn’t realize it was out yet; should be brilliant.

Moehat, if you love everything about Ireland then you must watch John Wayne and Maureen O’hara in "The Quiet Man" made in 1952 but out on DVD it is Wayne’s best with a fight scene that is the funniest in film history and some right characters. My late father and I had a ritual on Boxing Day, whereby we would watch the racing and then put the video of the Quiet Man. A smile never left our lips from beginning to end and it rounded off the festive season very nicely.

• Total Posts 1537

I watched the bucket list which was a fantastic film with Jack Nicolson and Morgan Freemen. They play two men lying in their death beds, so compile a ‘bucket list’.

I also watched the far country(1954). It starred James Stewart and Ruth Roman. I find some of these older films to be quite poignant. There’s something about watching these stars of yester year, knowing they’re no longer here.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Oh I love James Stewart; my mum took me to see How the West was Won in glorious cinemascopeysomething and, even though he was bit old to play the romantic lead I still fell in love with him! As for The Quiet Man; I don’t remember seeing it. When we were last in Ireland I noticed a poster of the film in someones house [we were in Dingle to see Fungi]. Then someone in Killarney told us that Maureen O’Hara was still alive and living at the southern tip of Southern Ireland….

. I still haven’t picked up my copy of Sans Soleil, but the film that comes with it La Jetee was re made as Twelve Monkeys [you can get La Jetee on utube but I can’t get the link to work. It’s only 30 minutes long and sounds fascinating]. So busy this week watching al the stuff on BBC4 about the Apollo missions that I’m playing catch up with things. Going to see that film with Eric Cantona in it soon, and there’s an amazing film called Moon coming out soon made by David Bowies son which has had rave reviews. Also Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland..my son tells me that Jonny Depp based the Mad Hatter on Madonna and, having seen a picture of him in the role I think my son’s right!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Just watched Sans Soleil and feel as if I’ve had my brain pulled out with a pair of tweezers; about to start watching La Jetee and, if I don’t fall asleep will follow that with Twelve Monkeys. Today ordered Zardoz; should get it next week..haven’t seen it since I first saw it at the cinema. I really know how to have fun on a Saturday night!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Just got back from seeing Looking for Eric; can’t recommend this film enough…..

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

It was an aquatic, not an alcoholic experience, happy!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Just been to see Moon; very much a blokes film and it was funny because I think the film about CoCo Chanel got sold out so everyone trooped in to see Moon instead. Anyone that liked 2001 and films like that will love this one. Not a long film but I sat transfixed for the duration and probably could have carried on sitting there for another hour or so. Got to do a bit of googling now in an attempt to find out what it was all about. Strangely enough, as we drove away from the cinema the sky was completely black, and then suddenly the moon appeared in front of us and we realised there was a break in the cloud. A second later and it was gone. Spooky……

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

John Hurt is the patron of my local cinema and we went to see a screening of his film Night Train with a Q&A session afterwards. Someone touched upon his participation in Who Do You Think You Are, in which I formed a quite unfavourable opinion of him.He said that [excuse me for slightly misquoting ] that he realised early on that it was stage managed reality tv and the experience was not a good one. Having expected a very grouchy character he was absolutely delightful. Checking out his list of films etc on Wikipedia I was amazed at how diverse his roles have been. A national treasure, methinks and where is the Knighthood? [damn fine horseman also]….Night Train very good film, I hasten to add..as he said, it was a film about two people that need a film making about them because otherwise no one would know them. Very well directed and the acting [Hurt and Brenda Blethyn, also a national treasure] was superb. So lucky to have such an amazing cinema/art centre on my doorstep, and proud to have John Hurt as our patron.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ … 100_films/

A very good list

Hidden is number one… a fine film but the best? Maybe…

Very pleased to see Shane Meadows wonderful This is Engalnd so high on list. Also the often overlooked good night and good luck. United 93 and Sideways and Lives of others definately. Ive seen about a third of the films and there are one or two that i would have included but werent…notably this years 32 Shots and the counterfeiters

bit suprised to see the vastly overrated in the loop included and the drab wind that shakes the barley. Also the awful Royal tenebaums.

Opinions?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Didn’t see "Saving Private Ryan" in there. (Or Polanski’s "The Pianist".) But then these kind of lists will always miss out some favourites.
    Thanks for the link.

• Total Posts 223

Memento is surely the best and most original film of the last decade?

Mulholland Drive should be up there too

• Total Posts 223

Do you mean ‘of the decade’? Loads of older films on that list

Citizen Kane simply has to be in any top 5. To not have it in the top 100 is laughable

edit; please ignire me, was looking at the wrong list!

PS: Your link is the wrong one

THe decade list:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ … 902642.ece

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Private Ryan and memento might have preceeded the decade. Both fine films though, although this years hrt locker is the finest war film ive seen

its just since 2000 Hard held :wink:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I always thought Memento was released in 2000, and both the IMDB and Wikipedia seem to agree.

EDIT: In fact, it appears at #68 in the list.

I’m not an avid film-watcher, but I have to say I’m disappointed that particular movie isn’t higher as it’s quite possibly my favourite of the decade. Highly original and yet extremely well-done: it’s complex enough to feel fresh while avoiding becoming too obscure and hard to follow, which a film told backwards certainly has the potential to do!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Started working back through the best films of all time list, got to about 30 and packed it in as thought it was a load of pretentiously picked rubbish.

There will be blood is number 2 movie of all time, my arse…Not a bad movie but nowhere near the top 20.

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.