The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Got the Changeling a couple of months ago Bulwark but as with most films these days I haven’t actually got around to watching it yet.

Will try my best to give it a viewing this w/e though and report back on Monday.

Lee

P.S In Bruges was quite good but IMO no more than a 6.5/10.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

My brother just watched Changeling and interestingly enough he also went straight on the internet afterwards to find out if it was actually true or not. Definitely a movie that stays with you after its finished IMO. But it is definitely a plus for the movie, that he didnt come back and say it was rubbish, as he doesnt often take to movies of this pace and tone. Where he was just a bit lost for words after watching this one.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Just watched "Fifty Dead Men Walking", which is a poor remake of a good fact based book. Worth giving a miss.

The book Fifty Dead men Walking, which tells the story of IRA informer Martin McGartland is one of the better books to come of the N.I. troubles, and it has been long over due a movie being made about it (however the other informer Raymond Gilmour’s book "Dead Ground- Infiltrating The IRA" is actually a far better story and better book). This film doesnt do the McGartland book or the story justice.

Another thing which annoyed me about this movie, as with the film "Hunger" is the lack of attention to detail (not really excusable through the low budget). Firstly, there was barely anyone at all in N.I., who had UPVC windows and doors in the 1980s, yet in both movies almost every house has them. Secondly, despite the movie being set in times of the Red Telephone box, McGartland keeps using a new style BT Telephone Boxes. Most of the RUC are English, including his handler (played by Ben Kingsley) who was Northern Irish, which is probably through just not looking hard enough to find northern irish actors. And the movie is told through the eyes of Ben Kingsley’s character- the handler, rather than by McGartland, as the original story was. All in all a half arsed attempt to make a movie out of a good story.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Hoping to go and see Anvil on Thursday night; it’s had some pretty good reviews.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

A Mighty Wind is on tonight at 11.35..I’ve wanted to see this film for years.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Mighty Wind is superb and i think the best of his films.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I only half watched it and was a bit disappointed; have taped it and will give it another go…strange week for mockumentaries having seen Anvil which was a documentary that was more Spinal Tap than Spinal Tap. My S.O. has just opened the door and told me the end of The Others; this is a film that I have also wanted to see for years [the trailer used to terrify me when it was shown at the cinema]. No need to watch it now,I guess.

• Total Posts 1537

I just watched a film called ‘angel heart’ from 1987 with Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro. I didn’t think i’d end up so impressed with it, and will watch it again tomorrow because i didn’t anticipate things panning out the way they did.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I was reading an interview with Mickey Rourke last night, and want to catch up with all of his films…that film was before he went back to boxing, wasn’t it? I really want to see The Wrestler…he’s supposed to be the most amazing actor.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Have yet to actually watch the wrestler, have ahd it on my hard drive for ages. I thought Mickey Rourke was brilliant as Marv in "Sin City" though.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I did see Sin City…..he now lives with a geriatric chihuahua……not good for the image, is it!

• Total Posts 1537

I don’t think being gay does much to his hard man image either to be honest.

I haven’t saw the wrestler yet. I’ll wait until i get an av receiver for the speakers. I’m holding out because it’s hard to get a decent value one just now.

Edit: Moe, i saw angel heart on Filmflex for £2.50. It’s that thing you get with Virgin Merdia, dunno if you have it,.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Mickey Rourke is set to be the new villain for Iron Man 2.

By the way, has anyone seen the film ‘No Country For Old Men’. It’s one of those films that I’m 50/50 about watching.

• Total Posts 1537

I was too impressed with it Rob. However you’re curious about it, so you’ll watch it and you might enjoy it. It was over-rated in my book.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I haven’t saw the wrestler yet. I’ll wait until i get an av receiver for the speakers. I’m holding out because it’s hard to get a decent value one just now.

Have watched a bit of the wrestler, but it didnt really seem like a movie where Surround sound would make much of a difference. Have you tried ebay for an a/v reciever, I got a half decent (what was then) last season’s Pioneer model from Richer Sounds for 130 or 140 off ebay, and it was pretty good.

Got a set of Mission FS1 Speakers to go with it though and they are absolute cack, there is a gap between the top frequency of the Sub and the bottom frequency of the satellites which makes them sound wank, plus all the satellites are driven through the sub which itself is under driven. Have heard better quality from little cheap one box systems. Think I’ll get a new set of KEFs as they are meant to be brilliant, and arent quite so expensive now.

By the way, has anyone seen the film ‘No Country For Old Men’. It’s one of those films that I’m 50/50 about watching.

I reckon you’ll be 50/50 about liking it too Rob. I thought it was brilliant, but it seems that for every other person I know who also thought it was great, there is someone else thought it was rubbish. A bit like marmite, but well worth a watch, as IMO its probably one of the best films that you could dislike. :wink:

• Total Posts 1537

Have watched a bit of the wrestler, but it didnt really seem like a movie where Surround sound would make much of a difference. Have you tried ebay for an a/v reciever, I got a half decent (what was then) last season’s Pioneer model from Richer Sounds for 130 or 140 off ebay, and it was pretty good.

Got a set of Mission FS1 Speakers to go with it though and they are absolute cack, there is a gap between the top frequency of the Sub and the bottom frequency of the satellites which makes them sound wank, plus all the satellites are driven through the sub which itself is under driven. Have heard better quality from little cheap one box systems. Think I’ll get a new set of KEFs as they are meant to be brilliant, and arent quite so expensive now.

I reckon you’ll be 50/50 about liking it too Rob. I thought it was brilliant, but it seems that for every other person I know who also thought it was great, there is someone else thought it was rubbish. A bit like marmite, but well worth a watch, as IMO its probably one of the best films that you could dislike. :wink:

Bully mate, i’m a scrooge mc duck with my money. I put in research and bough Jamo 102 speakers, and the receiver i need is a sony strdg820. The thing is though pal, there is a major shortage is top value receivers under 400 quid. I will bide ma time.

You’re right about not needing speakers for that film, but i have a sumsung 37" television and whilst the picture is good etc, the sounds needs improving.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Just been too see the latest fast and furios film, lousy ending and lacked that bit of spark and edge.

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.