The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Favourite Fillies

Home Forums Horse Racing Favourite Fillies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    skettisketti
    • Total Posts 343

Hello everyone Im a massive fan of my filles and just wondered if any favourites in particular. Ive been following racing for about 6 years now so its a limited period but heres my favourite three.

1. Attraction- I adored this horse and was absolutely gutted when she lost her unbeaten tag to the great soviet song.
    2. Ouija Board- An absolute star dont think i will see much better thanher for a while.
    3. Soviet Song- was a fantasticly tough filly and it always makes me smile thinking of the commentary "Shes trying so hard" when losing her sussex stakes crown to Proclamation in horrible conditions. She was a star. Watch the replay on youtube and watch her battle the boys.

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

Ouija Board is my favourite horse of all time and I’m trying to arrange to meet her.

I lost a lot of money on Attraction when Soviet Song beat her at Newmarket in July 2004! :cry:

I’ve only followed racing for a few years so can’t name any other favourites from the past, sorry..

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Lochsong, Lyric Fantasy [The Pocket Rocket] and Hever Golf Rose on the flat.

Dizzy and Mysilv, both who met their end too early, from the inferior form of racing :wink: Mysilv was one of the quickest hurdlers I have seen. I think she may have run well twice in two different races at the same Cheltenham if memory serves.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

Ouji Board, Park Top and Pebbles = different class

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Shawanda. Strongly feel she could have won the Arc before damaging her pelvis running round the final turn at Longchamp.

Better than Ouija Board, imo.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

Oh So Sharp and Miesque.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Gazs Way De SolzenGazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2441

Always liked seeing Alexandrova run.

Ouija Board was fantastic too.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Pebbles, Bosra Sham, Miesque, Indian Skimmer, Oh So Sharp…. the list could go on, but they’re probably my top five.

MDeeringMDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Darjina – The class act. Should have brained them in the Hong Kong Mile. Prix du Moulin de Longchamp was sensational!

Personal Ensign – Ooh, that Breeders’ Cup Distaff still gives me shivers.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

There are so many but two that can be added to a decent list are

Indian skimmer

Triptych

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Salsabil, Bosra Sham, Oh So Sharp – slightly more obscurely Moonshell and her dam Moon Cactus. From more recently I’ve had a soft spot for Islington, Attraction and Banks Hill.

scallywag76scallywag76
    • Total Posts 280

Ouija Board, Methaaf, Oh So Sharp, Dahlia, Pawneese, Flying Water, Allez France, Rose Bowl, Lianga, Time Charter, Cistus, Lochsong.

skettisketti
    • Total Posts 343

Got to love Russian Rythm

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Diminuendo and User Friendly for me.

Also, thinking of Diminuendo, what a shame that Ravinella’s latter part of her career didn’t match the earlier.

Lee

AraziArazi
    • Total Posts 263

Off the top of my head..

Salsabil – Probably my favourite of the lot and as good as any middle distance filly that I’ve seen since.

Salsabil An Appraisal – Part 1[/url:2kpsmehf]
    Salsabil An Appraisal – Part 2[/url:2kpsmehf]

Shadiyid – Tough and consistent at the highest level. Never ran a bad race.

1991 Milers – Part 1[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1991 Milers – Part 2[/url:2kpsmehf]

Marling – Won an epic battle with Selkirk in the 1992 Sussex Stakes and was an unlucky loser of the 1000 Guineas. Very classy filly.

1992 Milers – Part 1[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1992 Milers – Part 2[/url:2kpsmehf]

User Friendly – She arrived on Arc day having won the Oaks, Irish Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks & St Leger. I was gutted when she was just touched off by Subotica in the Arc. What fine race she ran though in defeat.

1992 Middle Distance Horses – Part 1[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1992 Middle Distance Horses – Part 2[/url:2kpsmehf]

Sayyedati – Campaigned in virtually every top 1m race between 1993 – 1995. Her victory in the 1995 Sussex Stakes was a great moment.

1992 Chevely Park Stakes – Sayyedati[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1995 Sussex Stakes – Sayyedati[/url:2kpsmehf]

Lochsong – Pure speed. Always a joy to watch.

1994 Lochsong[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1994 King George Stakes – Lochsong[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1994 Prix De L’Abbaye – Lochsong[/url:2kpsmehf]

Balanchine – Ability wise she was up there with Salsabil and she was Godolphin’s first real star.

1994 Epsom Oaks & Irish Derby – Balanchine[/url:2kpsmehf]

Bosra Sham – Quite simply the 1m – 1m 2f filly I’ve seen and by quite some way. Also, she was a magnificent looking racehorse.

1995 Fillies Mile – Bosra Sham[/url:2kpsmehf]
    1997 Prince Of Wales Stakes – Bosra Sham[/url:2kpsmehf]

Ouija Board – Loads of highlights from a great career. Her two Breeders Cup victories are my favourite’s because it’s always great when we send over one our champions and they go and win.

2004 Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf – Ouija Board[/url:2kpsmehf]
    2006 Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf – Ouija Board[/url:2kpsmehf]

Soviet Song – Really impressive 2yo career then she found it tough going as a 3yo mainly due to the tough opposition (Russian Rhythm, Six Perfections, Intercontinental) but after that she was great. I particually enjoyed her victory in the Sussex Stakes. She had a great turn of foot.

(Can’t find any footage of Soviet Song winning!)

Six Perfections – I had a lot of sympathy for this filly after her unlucky defeats in the English & Irish Guineas. So I was really rooting for her in the Breeders Cup Mile and thankfully Jerry Bailey gave her a peach of a ride to win from a tough draw.

2003 Breeders Cup Mile – Six Perfections[/url:2kpsmehf]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.