The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oaks 2018

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Oaks 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Took 100/1 on Forever Together (only £5 EW) before the trial at Chester. The more I watch that race back the more encouraged I am. Only really saw daylight 1f out and stayed on powerfully.

Nice bit of thinking there Charlie. She’s 5/1 generally now. :good:

Shows how quickly it can all change.

Best of luck :yes:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

charlie87charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 803

Cheers Steve. I must admit (people probably remember) that Matt Chapman actually said on air before the race at Chester that Forever Together was 100/1 for the Oaks and it was this, plus decent runs behind Who’s Steph and Contingent, that made me think 100/1 was worth it. Fingers crossed – I liked that run at Chester not just because the step up in trip should suit, but if they go off a clip then I think it will suit Forever Together.

Middle_Of_MarchMiddle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

Aye best of luck Charlie. Win or lose, you look like getting a real run for your money with those odds so well played.

I’m left with Wild Allusion 4/1 NRNB. Had either Sun Maiden or Sea of Class made the race (also both NRNB), I planned to cash out with Bet365 on the Godolphin filly.

Unfortunately, they are both out so I’m left with the favourite. A real shame that September never run for me as she’d beat this field by 10 lengths.

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1221

Not on slow ground she wouldn’t have.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2304

The weather will play a bit part in this (obvious enough i know) If it comes up G/S or Soft could anyone really be backing Magic Wand or Forever Together?

Wild Illusion to me price wise is much more appealing even being shorter than those two. The ground will pose no issues and the trip should really be fine too.

The one i will be chancing is Ejtyah at 20/1. It wasn’t a bad reappearance at all, and she’s looks to be one that needs a good trip. I guess the ground is a question mark having races only on AW and GF, but some of her relations did ok on it and i guess at her price i can take the chance.

She doesn’t have piles to make up with Give and Take, considering it was her reappearance and only her 2nd run of her life.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

Good point that Kev. I hadn’t thought of that.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2449

4th choice on jockey bookings but ill probably end up siding with bye bye baby, no point in backing her right now, once the market catches on she will drift and seamies horse will shorten

Absolute minefield of a race, shes (wild illsuion) got to be one of the worst favs this race has had for a while lol

What rating is the winner going to need to run to, 110 might be good enough on this field with question marks above most…. wish theyd kept laurens for this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

It’s undoubtedly a poor renewal Ham. I think it’s pretty clear the favourite wants this step up in trip. The rain suits. She isn’t a Taghrooda, a Minding or an Enable but she will probably be good enough to win this. Though Godolphin in the classics is not a recipe I tend to follow.

It says something that the Ribblesdale will almost definitely be a better race than the Oaks this year.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1469

Ham why is Wild Illusion a poor favourite? She has group 1 winning form.
    If people think the race is a minefield of a race, poor renewal, etc then just back the favourite.
    Sometimes in horse racing the obvious can stare you in the face. :yes:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

In fairness Mike it really does look a poor Oaks.

I’ve done as you suggested and backed Wild Allusion but I’d have been against her in virtually every one of the Oaks of the last 10 years.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2304

Mike007, i think Ham’s meaning how poor a race it is that Wild Illusion is the outright fav, not that she’s a poor fav in the context of this race.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

wasps41
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1138

I was up on the downs today ( I am a local). I don’t have a going stick but as an racing enthusiast that ground is no worse than good to soft at the moment. In fact I would say it was good ground. Not going to argue with the clerk of the course though. It is just my opinion

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2449

shes the best horse in the race on ors, at this moment she is rated 4lbs clear and a deserved fav in this lineup… BUT shes just way to short on her formline for me and i couldnt back her, whoevers on at a decent price well done. Her guineas starting point was a nice return.

I think Shes going to be mullered by the ballydoyle army in this, the last horse they will want to win this is the godolphin horse. Buicks going to have to be pretty wise to the occasion (hes more than capable of course)

Im not dubawis biggest fan either and i can just see one of the 4 galileos improving past her

But shes a decent horse and i wouldnt put anyone off backing her, the price is the main issue i have and i couldnt back blind on her sketchy group 1 form, im actually quite sketchy of the whole 1000 guineas form, laurens head and shoulders above them when she gets her trip, 10f looked too short for her i think she would have pissed up in this, thats another reason ill be looking for something that didnt run in that race.

Good luck with her though :good:

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1961

wasps that’s quite an interesting piece of news, cheers

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1961

Looking at myweather2 could well get another 14mm today, think I will watch the Woodcote and make my mind up then.

Had a little bit (already) on Give And Take at 10s EW, just feel as people have said not the greatest oaks and she did it well enough at York

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.