The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oaks 2018

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Oaks 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5819

MAGIC LILY 25/1

When you think Enable was a 2yo maiden winner last year look back at other winners same with WAS and Tagroodha it not always go to a filly with group one form at 2.Minding did though.

Now Godolphin not fave owners but when you think there classic hopes normally by Dubawi that sire not have best of records at Epsom.And reason go with there New Approach filly who sired a oaks winner in Talent.And won derby himself add to fact Dancing Rain in her breeding to another Epsom winner there many postives about her.Her breeding remind me of Australia for glory at Epsom.And she show on debut by romping home in maiden i hope she gets put away for season and come back at 3.

I see Magical and Happily in same way as Rhododendron in that high class horses but not get 1m4

September be intresting she has middle distance horse all over her never keen on her for guineas.But expect her to be smart horse at 1m4 she was out to 33s with Power last week now into 20s.

Middle_Of_MarchMiddle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2652

Pretty sure there’s already a thread for this race somewhere on here.

I’ve been backing September at the big prices since the week before her Chesham run. I saw the 33s also last week and had a pop at that price.

I’ve been backing her almost weekly for the race ever since June.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5819

After fillies mile i was happy with Lily ran a cracker on 2nd start

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I don’t know where the other Oaks thread went but I said there that I thought Magic Lily was the best value at 25/1 over the other Fillies Mile runners at much shorter. I have had a tenner on Magic Lily at 25/1 and a tenner on Liquid Amber at 33/1.

Liquid Amber blew away the 2/7 Fav Ballet Shoes by 5 lengths on her second start. The further she went the better she looked in the 1 mile Flame Of Tara, a Group 3 race, and I felt she was worth a play at a big price.

Connections decided to put Liquid Amber away and stated that her first target was likely to be the Irish Guineas, which obviously leaves it tight for Epsom. I am actually hoping that they will focus on the Epsom Oaks as she may find it sharp at a mile this year. By Kittens Joy, the sire of John Gosden’s Roaring Lion I just felt 33/1 was worth an early punt. I just can’t back the shorter priced ones at the head of the betting.

For now, those are my two and I hope I don’t have to make another bet but there is plenty scope at the odds I have, to pick another for a bigger bet if I see one I feel is likely to be involved.

Two ante-posts:-

Magic Lily 25/1
    Liquid Amber 33/1

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2652

I said on the Guineas thread I don’t know where the other Oaks thread went.

I put up September at 33s before she won the Chesham on that and I am quite happy to stick with her. A mile and half on good ground will show her as a superstar.

Bobby BluebellBobby Bluebell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 216

I’m hoping Contingent makes up for Dermot Weld’s lousy season last season.

She looked very exciting on her debut winning easily from a poor draw when her stable was under a cloud. Bred in the purple, Weld could hardly contain his excitement afterwards.

I guess she will go for a Guineas trial first to see if she has the speed for a mile at 3. I think she is an Oaks filly though.

25/1

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Contingent looks an excellent prospect Bobby. She should be in group quality races this season.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

VoleurVoleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

MoM, any chance you backed September for the Oaks? Never realised lol

Contingent is worth a speculative early punt for me too at 25/1.

I was very taken with her on debut, the way she overcame that wide draw and ran right through the line earmarked her to me as a filly right out of the top drawer. I believe the Kevin Prendergast filly who chased her home that day, Algahbrah, is also well regarded.

On breeding and visual impression, you would imagine 12f will be well within her reach.

Wild Illusion is another I will be keeping an eye on, as she boasts some top class juvenile form. She looks pretty much nailed on to stay the trip and has plenty of scope, herself and September both polar opposites physically. She doesn’t need to improve much on figures to beat most of these, relatively speaking of course.

The Guineas, English or French, looks to be the plan at the moment, which I find a little bit unfortunate. Despite being a Group 1 winner at two over a mile, I think there’ll be those with a bit more toe than her, unless it comes up soft.

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

September I’m also on AP hopefully her size doesn’t stop her, it most certainly didn’t last season.

Highgarden is one that I’m looking forward to for Johnny G. Nice Nathaniel that won well on debut looking strong at the line over a mile.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2652

I may have mentioned it a thousand times Voleur.

Her runs on her ground have her as rattling home and clearly needing further.

I just pray she gets good ground at epsom.

VoleurVoleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

The law of averages would rule out another Nathaniel filly trained by Gosden winning the Oaks, but of course the horse doesn’t know that.

Agreed Kev, she looks a nice type.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5819

Magic Lily out of race so am gutted about that i look at big prices so ignore top of market and 2 i like from Beckett and Gosden

STREAM SONG 50/1

Trained by Gosden has run 3 times got off the mark last time at a 1m where she need all of that trip she looks a fine middle distance prospect for this season and expect her get better once she tackles trip ranging from 1m4

KINAESTHESIA 50/1

Won a maiden at Nottingham normally this trainer has decent record in this sends best oaks horses to Nottingham.She beat a few decent horses here.And with record he has in race by Sea The Stars i think she can progress more this season

Both owned by same man i also not doubt he have no problem sending both here if they prove it in trail races.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4199

Just seen the Oaks winner. We can end this thread now. Three words people, three words:

LAH TI DAR

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2652

Unless that’s a typo and you meant to put SEP TEM BER Joni, I think you’re on the wrong one.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4199

:) Very good MOM. I’m on her too but that was seriously impressive from the Gosden filly today especially when you consider the trainer doesn’t have them anywhere near wound up yet…

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.