The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

David Nicholson

Home Forums Memorials David Nicholson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Very sad news. The racing world will be much quieter for this loss.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Was just about to start a thread myself Sal. As a kid, a visit to the Duke’s Open Day still sticks in the mind – notably him yelling at an unfortunate stable lass called Miranda – and the likes of Waterloo Boy, Another Coral, Bigsun and the ill-fated Mighty Mogul all hold fond memories for me.

A sad day for racing.

RIP

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Very sad news. He was a central figure in jumps racing for a generation and left a big hole when he retired.

Condolences to his family and friends.

KEITH REED
    • Total Posts 57

very sad news

InvisibleLayer
    • Total Posts 101

sad loss

RIP

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Often used to watch races out on the track by the last. Remember a day at Haydock a few years back when a hurdle was missed out because a groundsman had left some cones out. The Duke ran out – told the jockeys to go back, jump the hurdle, then continue again. Not sure whether this was the correct thing to do but I don’t think the stewards on duty fancied arguing with him!

Last saw him leaning against the paddock rails at Aintree back in April. Looked to be struggling to get about – so I didn’t approach him to have a word – wish I had now.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

A very sad loss. David Nicholson was not only a fine trainer and jockey but also a very down-to-earth, honest man and a true gentleman to boot. I had the pleasure of spending a few hours in the bar at Chepstow with him and various others in 1992; some of his anectodes were simply brilliant.

My most sincere condolences go to his family.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

The last time I actually saw him in the flesh was about 10 years ago at Lingfield. It was in the members bar and he was standing there talking to J. Gifford and T. Biddlecombe. I felt like going up to then and asking for their autographs.

He was a goodish jockey, and eventually became a top-class trainer (after many years of making a horlicks of it).

I remember him riding the great Mill House to his last famous victory in hte Whitbread in 1967.

He was certainly a character and really will be much missed.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Aye, Moorcroft Boy’s Scottish National went in my top three training feats ever when the Post ran that a while back – anyone unmoved by that performance and the scenes that immediately followed it really does have a heart of Formica.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Certainly one of the great racing characters of the latter half of the 20th Century. He was bloody minded and didn’t always get it right, but he was a hugely passionate (and emotional) supporter of racing and even those who got on the wrong side of him, and there were plenty, couldn’t help but have some admiration for the man.

GreenGreenDesert
    • Total Posts 127

A great loss to the whole of Racing; and my heart goes out to Dinah and the family. We Can’t afford to lose such great characters. To me it is the end of an era.

I have written a piece on my blog:

http://www.myspace.com/davedent

(Edited by GreenGreenDesert at 9:18 pm on Aug. 30, 2006)

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Loved the impression that R.Phillips[very briefly-and surprisingly? the master of Jackdaws]did a few years ago  on the morning line.

R.I.P

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

ROA report the sad news on their website:

http://www.racehorseowners.net/industry … easeID=502

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4716

I particularly remember a quote about David Nicholson from Kate Fox’s book ‘The Racing Tribe’.

Talking with Nicholson’s travelling head lad she writes;

‘When I admitted that I had initially found his boss quite intimidating, but was now revising my opinion, he said "Oh yes," and then, looking around as though making sure he could not be overheard, added almost in a whisper, "he’s much nicer than he lets on".’

Rob

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

That’s a good book.

And indeed a fair quote. I never met the man but I have the impression it was probably fairly accurate.

Certainly outspoken but entertaining for it, he said what he thought and people like that are hard to come across the game these days.

A sad loss indeed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.