The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

dave nevison RUK

Home Forums Horse Racing dave nevison RUK

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I think The Welsh Wizard was making the point that this is a racing forum and whether anyone, Dave Nevison, Harry Findlay or John Dunlop, dress like "chavs", it matters not a bit.

At least that’s the way I read it…….but he is Welsh and what’s worse he’s from Cardiff, but he does have a nice selection of ‘dirty macs’!!!! :wink:

Colin

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

In racing it seems that there are two groups of people who will invite so much vitriol and ignorance.

Group 1 – Anybody claiming to make money from betting on horses.

Group 2 – Anybody not sounding like Julian Wilson.

Dave Nevison appears to fit into both groups.

That, apparently, is his crime.

• Total Posts 101

Is chloed comments for real :?: do you think if he was dressed up wearing a bowlers etc he would only then have the right credentials

Some very jealous people on this thread indeed

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

I cannot believe this childish and totally Betfair forum like rubbish has actually extended to 3 pages , for goodness sake folks lets not always take the bait of idiot posters whose only pourpose is to start a wind up , even if its on their Husbands behaf

what on earth is happening to this once brilliant forum , daily it sinks lower and lower into the black pitt of folks slagging each other off

Enough already

Ricky

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3684

best way to stop these childish posts, stop anoraks hiding behind silly names,

Oi, Barry – I’m the only anorak on here and I’m not hiding !!

AP

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 125

I think The Welsh Wizard was making the point that this is a racing forum and whether anyone, Dave Nevison, Harry Findlay or John Dunlop, dress like "chavs", it matters not a bit.

At least that’s the way I read it…….but he is Welsh and what’s worse he’s from Cardiff, but he does have a nice selection of ‘dirty macs’!!!! :wink:

Colin

And even worse than that, the old Wizard`s from Llanrumney, Kaardiff. However, he was known as the "Beau Brummell" of South Wales".

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I know have known David quite a number of years now. Well before he got involved with John Best. Overall he is just like many others making a living gambling.

I note he has started his tipping line again but the last time it failed quite badly.

Johnny ‘Lights’ Humbrell would have staked more in a month than Dave does in a year and he got by without other incomes from book sales or from writing newspaper articles.

Very much doubt he would have bothered to spend all day in a television studio for £300 sobs.

Whilst Dave Nevison may still be able to bet with the Dennis joint my small claim to fame is I got banned by the Essex bookie many years ago.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

I don’t know whether ex "city" boy Nevison is a good human being or not. Neither here nor there.
    I did watch the preview and have to say I wasn’t too impressed with his some of his reasoning, although he does appear to know the form inside out.
    For example, the Queen Mother Champion Chase :
    Master Minded is the best horse in the race, Twist Magic, the second best, he opined. But Master Minded could fall, he continued, as could Twist Magic. Ya don’t say! :roll:
    Therefore, he concluded, that he would be backing Voy Por Ustedes (the worst of the three"), as it has proven form round Cheltenham and represented the "value" in the race.
    The logic of a pro punter. :lol:

What he actually said was:
    Before the Sandown race Master Minded was not a good jumper, also had an easy lead in the Game Spirit. The Champion at Cheltenham (particularly the second last) will be a bigger test of his jumping.
    Twist Magic fell at the second last last season and it would not be surprising if he were to fall again.
    So taking around 5/2 about any horse that has a reasonable chance of falling is (for him) not the done thing. Logical.
    He will be looking to back Voy Por Ustedes, the third best horse FOR A PLACE ONLY (he thinks Tamarinbleu will get outpaced on goodish ground). So he believes Voy Por nailed on to be placed.

I do not agree with him but can see his logic.

Ginge

Value Is Everything
    KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Dave Nevison is from my hometown Sevenoaks which as some of you may know is one of the most affluent areas of the UK and thankfully only has a very small number of Chavs.

I watched the preview programme too and he rather swamped the more informative Mark Howard I thought. Some of things he said made me feel a little uncomfortable in particular calling some horses muppets. Why use such derogatory terms to describe an animal that ultimately provides you with a living? Unnecessary. He also said Oscar Park will not complete the RSA Chase. He may well be right but as Dempsey proved last year you shouldn’t be put off a class horse because you think he will fall.

I think there were better people RUK could have had on but I don’t think he’s a chav.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Some of things he said made me feel a little uncomfortable in particular calling some horses muppets. Why use such derogatory terms to describe an animal that ultimately provides you with a living?

I didn’t much care for Dave’s use of “muppets” as it’s not an epiphet that tells us anything constructive about the animal’s ability, appearance or demeanour. I occasionally used the equally pejorative “trees” and “zombies” in the past, but I’ve learned the error of my ways.

Conversely, I’ve used – and will continue to use – the likes of “poisonous”, “uncoordinated”, “hairy”, “size of a small chicken” and the like when race-reading in points, for whilst they’re all cosmetically harsher than “muppets”, I’d counter that they do inform to some greater or lesser extent.

I’m not sure which one out of Mackenzie and Harris described the unpredictable Welsh mare De Chelly as “hormonal” in this year’s Annual, much less how they actually proved this!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Personally, I think Nevison knows a lot more about horse racing than either you or your husband. I have a sneaking suspicion he dresses better than either of you, as well. No offence.

If no offence was intended, then why post an insult at all? Why not just post the facts as you see them and not snide comments?

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

I’m surprised that the forum’s new crack team of moderators haven’t chopped this thread out. It’s what it deserves.

• Total Posts 1904

A cheap dig based on a misapprehension, liberally sprinkled with prejudice, provoking a barrage of disagreement which inevitably turns sharply personal. There isn’t anything good about this thread. Aside from my presence in it, obviously. And the word, ‘muppet’, which I enjoy in any context.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Muppet :D

jair1970
    • Total Posts 10

Nevison is the wrong guy for a Cheltenham preview

He is a expert on betting not form and as such, Cheltenham is not where he concentrates.

His form knowledge last night was pretty dodgy and the whole preview lacked substance and variation. They seemed to think that the front three in any market were the only ones worthy of analysis.

Nevison in particular showed that he’d paid very little attention to the festival until then After all, he’s a day-to-day bettor.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I lapped up Dave Nevison’s witty articles in the Racing & Football Outlook, I think – but then my sense of humour wouldn’t always be considered sophisticated much of the time in my wife’s or other people’s eyes. She thinks Laurel and Hardy are beyond childish.

As for the chav thing, in my experiece, some of the very best people have atrocious taste, and vice versa. Not that we would necessarily agree on what’s wally or chav, Chloe. But I’ve been more distasteful on here by far than you in my bad-mouthing, so I suppose it’s pot meet kettle, as far as that’s concerned.

Yet, it seems strange. On the one hand, you wonder why we are making a federal case out of a kind of "rough and ready" post, and on the other, it’s good that people stick up for the victim, if we think a post needlessly verges on invective.

I don’t get the sensitivity about calling a horse a "muppet" though, at all. I love the wry comments of some of the commentators, about "dodge-pots", "the usual suspects", etc. It has me in stitches when I learn what characters some of those horse are. I don’t know him, but I expect mad Davie would actually be as kind to a horse as any of us. My two penn’orth, anyway.

As regards Dave’s reasoning re the Champion Chase, I’m inclined to agree with it. The big Cheltenham meeting has a terrible rate of attrition, I think, in relation to "sexy" bets on relatively unseasoned horses, as compared with course and distance winners. But any successful public figure expressing an opinion, is on a hiding to nothing, here. He or she may be quietly tolerated, but it’s anything but guaranteed. We’re most of us armchair generals of the highest order.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Could it be that most of those critercising Mr Nevison are just envious of him making a profit at the game.
    Tghought he put some interesting theories up, some I agreed with (Gold Cup) some I did not (Oscar Park) but interesting none the less.

No doubt if Alan Potts was not a member of this forum, there would be the same comments put foreward if he did the preview.

I don’t care what they sound like or look like as long as they know what they are talking about. Dave and Alan do.

Ginge

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.