The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dante 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Dante 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Cant believe the price of Monitor Closely! Why is he double the price of Nehaam for a nose beating…and he ran more than respectable to be a staying on 8th in the guineas! For me he is a massive price against some of these hype horses.

• Total Posts 113

I enjoyed studying this race – pretty exciting I must admit!

Was extremely keen for

Black Bear Island

as a brother to a super horse with a 5-5-0-0 good-to-firm record. Sadly, the change in ground has altered my confidence a little.

I’ll go ahead as planned, but British weather can go fornicate itself. :evil:

Im hoping for a Black Bear Island/Kite Wood reverse forecast in an ideal world :)

Purely cos thats my 2 antepost bets for the derby.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Thought Sans Frontieres ran a blinder; can’t see them not running him in the Derby after that.

• Total Posts 1688

This Derby is becoming a Coolmore exhibitional parade.

I might cash in the Black Bear Island stocks because Freemantle was exceptionally good today from a Derby standpoint.

There was a margin of about a half-length between these two today, and there was a margin of a half-length between these two on debut – but Black Bear Island had the advantage of a racecourse outing this time, and Freemantle was on seasonal debut running on the speed, which is always tricky.

I’ll wait to see the prices, but these two might relegate Fame And Glory to a St. Leger prospect instead!

• Total Posts 1415

A poor Derby trial. Bunch finish, Monitor Closely far closer than he was in the Guineas, the first two no more than average previous form, Sans Frontir beaten miles by Delegator in the Craven. Can’t see any of that lot winning the Derby.

Participant
    • Total Posts 350

Nice win today, well done halfwaytoheaven.

• Total Posts 1415

Fame And Glory shortening all over the place now, now generally 9/4. Not surprising after watching the Dante.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

So what happened in the race ref the first 3 home and Crowded House? Stuck in work so havent seen or heard anything…

Wasnt big on crowded house before the race but still surprised he has failed to place…

• Total Posts 1415

So what happened in the race ref the first 3 home and Crowded House? Stuck in work so havent seen or heard anything…

Wasnt big on crowded house before the race but still surprised he has failed to place…

Didn’t get the best of runs but never looked like winning. Freemantle set a good pace Black Bear Island came from off it. It wasn’t a crawl which is why its a bit deflating to see a bunched finish certainly more so than you’d expect.

• Total Posts 1688

He was actually a bit skittish early on – head to one side and his stride was a little erratic. I wonder if Meehan will argue he’s still a little green?

• Total Posts 1415

He was actually a bit skittish early on – head to one side and his stride was a little erratic. I wonder if Meehan will argue he’s still a little green?

He looks a little bit of a character to me. His Racing Post Trophy form wasn’t up to much though it was very impressive visually. He was disappointing today I expected a better run than that from a horse that is seriously expected to win a Derby, he never looked likely to win at any stage to me.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Didn’t get the best of runs but never looked like winning. Freemantle set a good pace Black Bear Island came from off it. It wasn’t a crawl which is why its a bit deflating to see a bunched finish certainly more so than you’d expect.

Oh right, that usually tends to happen when the surface is quicker than expected, as horses dont tend to tire and effectively if you dont have something with a much superior turn of foot then you’ll end up with the finish pretty bunched, if Freemantle set the pace and was involved in the finish (and the pace as indeed decent) then its pretty fair to expect that that is what happened, and it would probably explain Monitor Closelys improved performance as IMO he looks to be a horse stuck between to posts distancewise, and probably short of top class also.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Ian, are you Cunningham in disguise? :lol:

I think it’s an intruiging trial. Black Bear Island in fairness has done this extremely well, he has come from last to first and picked this field up in the fashion of a very good horse. Perfectly timed run by O`Donoghue, the way he has won and being a brother to High Chaparral there is certainly more to come.

San Frontieres was always always going to be better over further, his pedigree just screams stamina, he’s bred to excel over further, certainly improved for a step up here and more like his true colours coming out.

Seriously doubted Kite Woods form coming into this and was one I wanted to get beat in this field, he’s ran ok but his 2yo form has been shown up as pretty moderate.

Got to be bitterly disapointed in Crowded House, thought it wouldn’t be easy for him today but not to the song of finishing 8th, hopefully he won’t end up as a Twice Over.

I wouldn’t take this form lightly, if I was an ante-post backer I would lump on some of the 10/1 about Black Bear Island left for the derby now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

How good must Rip Van Winkle be ? :wink:

Anyhow, as for Crowded House –

he didn’t get the best of runs, and you could tell that Jamie Spencer, by holding him up on the inside was heading for trouble, and as a consequence wasn’t overly hard on the horse, I thought.

However, I still don’t think he has the required speed ( or stamina ) to win the Derby. He’ll probably be about 16/1 or over now – should he run.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

16/1 spot on Himself, you wiley old fox

• Total Posts 1415

Ian, are you Cunningham in disguise? :lol:

I think it’s an intruiging trial. Black Bear Island in fairness has done this extremely well, he has come from last to first and picked this field up in the fashion of a very good horse. Perfectly timed run by O`Donoghue, the way he has won and being a brother to High Chaparral there is certainly more to come.

San Frontieres was always always going to be better over further, his pedigree just screams stamina, he’s bred to excel over further, certainly improved for a step up here and more like his true colours coming out.

Seriously doubted Kite Woods form coming into this and was one I wanted to get beat in this field, he’s ran ok but his 2yo form has been shown up as pretty moderate.

Got to be bitterly disapointed in Crowded House, thought it wouldn’t be easy for him today but not to the song of finishing 8th, hopefully he won’t end up as a Twice Over.

I wouldn’t take this form lightly, if I was an ante-post backer I would lump on some of the 10/1 about Black Bear Island left for the derby now.

What did Cunningham say mate? I was watching C4 coverage have recorded RUK.

I’ve already rated the race and I get 107 the winner that is way behind top class.

I agree Black Bear Island ran well but he’s just not top class at the moment. Either that or just about everything other than Crowded House and Kite Wood have improved on their previous which looks unlikely.

Kite Wood is now with Godolphin that pretty much ends any hopes he has of being a top class horse IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Haha, yes your probably right on Kite Wood.

I appreciate your ratings Ian, but this horse is only going to improve, he simply has not had enough racing to definitively say his rating means he can not better what he has done today, I believe he will improve on this, I’m not saying he will win the Derby, I would however if an ante post player take the 10/1 now as I think the race is being under estimated, given it’s heritage especially, he should be taken more seriously.

Unless it’s with an Idependant bookmaker 10/1 is top price with Laddies and Totesport, Freemantle is 14/1+

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.