The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cross Country – Great Advert For Ditching It

Home Forums Horse Racing Cross Country – Great Advert For Ditching It

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Imagine if that farce had just taken place at the Festival.

I suppose they may have had a novelty value to begin with but they have never added quality to a card and never will.

And before any clever dicks suggest that jocks have taken the wrong course in ordinary races just consider whether you are comparing like with like.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

I did not have a bet in the race. Never will.

Get rid of it! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Jockeys are going to get long bans for that.

How many days are the course makers going to get?

Final bend far too sharp.
    Should have railed (or ribboned) off the wrong course.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

They should hang a steward for every horse that takes a wrong turn – then we might get properly marked courses.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Apart from keeping Enda Bolger off street corners, these races seem of spectacular unimportance. Personally, I’d rather bet at Warwick dogs* than in one of them.

To be fair, the wrong-course taking seemed to have dried up in recent years but is back with a vengeance today.

What surprised me was that the incident took place on the one area of the track where it was basically bleedin’ obvious where to go. I was highly impressed by the fact that they ignored the last fence/hurdle right in front of them and opted instead to squeeze seven horses into a narrow gap between the rails and a gate. Couldn’t do it again if they tried.

Mike

*Now sadly defunct. God, I miss those 250% overrounds.

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 747

Two banned for twelve days others let off.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Taking the wrong course is a regular occurrence in these cross country races.

Makes the sport look foolish.

Ditch such races. If we want to watch show jumping we can.

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

A total farce in a race that most serious punters will have nothing to do with, and bores me rigid as well. Cheltenham have invested a lot of money into these cross country races and I’m sure would be loathe to ditch them, but I agree with the views of people on here that they should be scrapped.

On a side note I was amazed how Channel 4 virtally ignored the incident, for me this is another sign of how their racing coverage has declined over the years. So lucky to watch Lydia Hislop and Graham Cunningham cover the event sensibly and rationally on Racing UK.

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Two banned for twelve days others let off.

RP link

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra … 59830/top/

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Taking the wrong course is a regular occurrence in these cross country races.

Makes the sport look foolish.

Ditch such races. If we want to watch show jumping we can.

Lest we forget last year’s Punchestown farce with horses slipping around like nine pins on the final bend. I say ‘ditch’ these toy races (pun intended)

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

I just hope that the horses are allright as that looked really horrible.
    I too have no interest in these "events" and wish that they were scrapped.
    Then again , as one who has never had a wager in them, perhaps I am not best qualified to comment.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5766

I like them and find them a good betting medium, in general, though the risk of what happened today must be borne in mind. Cheltenham must shoulder a fair bit of the responsibility: inexperienced riders and a complex layout are not a good fit and the course exec should have signed the course with that in mind.

When the likes of AP and Ruby decline to ride in these because of the likelihood of getting a ban, it tells you it cannot be easy for amateurs and claimers.

1.01 there will be changes for the festival.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I enjoy them, yes they are a different type of race to what we are used to but is that a reason not to run them?

It could be argued the Grand National is different sort of race – and I suspect few on here would call for it to scrapped because it is different.

As is the case with any race, nobody is forced to bet on the cross country races but as Steeplechase hinted finding winners in cross-country races is relatively easy, even taking into account the risk of riders taking a wrong course.

However it is the responsibility of riders to learn the course and frankly to make the mistake she did today Ms Coward must be pretty damned stupid, as were the riders who chose to follower her.

DaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

I like them and find them a good betting medium, in general, though the risk of what happened today must be borne in mind. Cheltenham must shoulder a fair bit of the responsibility: inexperienced riders and a complex layout are not a good fit and the course exec should have signed the course with that in mind.

When the likes of AP and Ruby decline to ride in these because of the likelihood of getting a ban, it tells you it cannot be easy for amateurs and claimers.

1.01 there will be changes for the festival.

Spot on. Unfortunately I had a tenner each way on Wedger Pardy. Too late to winge about that tho!! The annoying part is, if it had been Cartmel racecourse, there would have been the 2 guys holding a tape, reminding jockeys to swing left into the straight as they do at every meeting. I fail to see where and what, the problem is with Cheltenham doing this for these races. Fair enough if people dont like these races, and, I agree with Kim Bailey that it is a change from everyday racing.
    Commiserations must go to Chris Leigh who im sure must have been counting some of the readies. A real nice guy who I met last year just after he sent Tanzanite Bay up to Lucinda Russell.

aji
    • Total Posts 469

Well I like them. I also like the opportunity they offer some of the older stayers to have an interesting challenge.

Poor show from the racecourse they should design the route better and help with tapes at the tricky points.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

I also like these races, they’re a great spectacle and a good betting medium.

From looking at the race on television it looked like a very poor error.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

You are spot on Dave – that is exactly what does happen at Cartmel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.