The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Covid-19 Monitor

Home Forums Lounge Covid-19 Monitor

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 404 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5646

Oh Moe Oh Moe Oh Moe, do be careful on those stairs of yours especially with a dog that follows you in leaps and bounds – they can be a deathtrap. A friend’s brother’s wife caught her foot around the hoover flex on the top landing just as she was taking her first step down with calamitous effect -toppling her to an unseemly and indecorous death. Also a funeral I attended the back end of last year was my cousin – another unfortunate lady, who lost her footing on the stairs down and died three weeks later in hospital very sadly as a result. She lived with her sister and complained once to me about the bouncy carpet underfelt they had recently had fitted. If only they had gone for Cloud Nine ! Well then we are left with the infamous menacingly wide stairs at the Bates Motel which have a certain reputation for sharpness…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-mum-three-dies-blood-5483130

Only 43 and a mother of three. Dead from a jab that she didn’t need- absolutely tragic.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Oh Tank, clutching at straws to vindicate your crazy position.
    You want to stop using a vaccine that has saved millions of lives, just because it’s caused the death of a few. :negative:

Carry on scaremongering. :wacko:

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Nothing crazy about me, mate. Far from it.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Ridiculous reporting – what medical qualification does her partner have to state the vaccine caused her death?

Sensationalist rubbish.

Was she on the pill? Was she a smoker? Both have larger incidences of fatal blood clotting.

Looking at her photograph she also appeared to have a high BMI, which would also increase her risk of blood clotting.

195874551-4038435572904994-2158920229934342254-n

Everything in life carries a risk , taking the vaccination is an informed choice – OK some people potentially die from the vaccine. Everything in life carries a risk and we’re all going to die anyway.

I have naturally thick blood with a higher risk of clotting and I still made the choice to have the AZ vaccine – interestingly my, latest, post-vaccine blood test showed my blood is the thinnest it’s been for 20 years – so maybe the vaccine has thinned my blood!!!

Nobody is being forced to have the jab, apart maybe for healthcare workers which is no bad thing and not without precedent – Hep B vaccination is already mandatory for many front line workers.

Presumably you don’t drive a car Tank – 0.00292% risk of death per year in the UK or cross the road 0.0005% pedestrian deaths a year from car collisions – both have higher risks than the AZ jab.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

I do drive a car because it makes life easier and I’m prepared to take the small risk involved in that. I don’t want an experimental vaccine because, IMO, I don’t need it so I’m not prepared to take the small risk involved. It’s all about choice. If the government try to make life hell for people who aren’t vaccinated, then I would probably get jabbed as I’d deem it worth the risk then.

I believe they are working on a single jab vaccine, so would hold out for that. Don’t want to queue up twice for something that I don’t want.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Hope you’re keeping yourself to yourself, not putting anyone else at risk, Tank.

Stay safe and keep everyone safe.

Value Is Everything
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2619

It’s your personal choice not to have it. It was her personal choice to have it and accept any risks that may come with it (which are not proven, hence the quote marks in the headline).

I have no issue with anyone not getting the vaccine, it’s up to the individual. The problem is, you open with statements like she ‘didn’t need’ it. I’ve no idea how you can come to such a conclusion, and you certainly can’t on her behalf.

I’ve had one dose of Moderna and felt mildly groggy the next day and had a sore arm for a further day and that’s it. Use that information as you wish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5646

I though Richard do have an issue with people not taking the vaccine. It is obviously up to the individual to decide and if he decides not to take it like Tank then I would expect him to self isolate and live mostly a hermit life and why ? to protect other lives he might come into contact with especially vulnerable lives.

There was a march through central london of anti vaxxers last week and one had a slogan on his vest and it read

‘My body my choice’

I spoke to the chap and said what if your choice kills all of your family members or innocent vulnerable people you come in contact with ?

I, although doubly vaccinated was fully masked not to protect myself but to protect others. I got no answer from the unmasked man – he just looked at me blankly and started shouting slogans with the others. I received no answer.

The question is, and I would ask this of Tank,( especially if he is not stuck at home self-isolating ) and I repeat the words you wrote

” I don’t need the vaccine ”

but is it really about your personal need or protecting others in the community at large ? What indeed is the proportion of consideration you give to your own well being in contrast to others ? Do you consider yourself 70% and other members of the community 30% in deciding not to take the vaccine ? Is it 60 – 40 is it 50 – 50 or, and I suggest this the less likely, do you consider protecting others more than yourself …so 20 – 80 or 10 – 90 ?
    How much is it a personal decision and how much is it a community one ? If you are at large in the community Tank and possibly putting others at risk – What was your exact ratio of concern regarding personal and community protection ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16292

This is scare mongering at its worst. You believe what you want to believe but putting out stories like this will not help us all get back on our feet again.

Paul 100% with your post and Gamble also for standing up to the anti-vaxers.

This condition could have happened for numerous reasons and with all due respect to the poor woman and her young family, the vaccine is not one of them.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2619

I am not comfortable in any way with forcing the vaccine on people, not sure how you would anyway.

However some are not yet vaccinated through no fault of their own because it takes time. Until everyone has had the chance then everyone should be subject to restrictions to protect those who want it but can’t yet.

The jury seems to be out as to whether the vaccinated can spread it but once you’ve had it you have little to personally fear from those who refuse it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

An interesting series being shown on BBC4:

Extra Life: A Short History of Living Longer

The first episode deals with the history of vaccination and is essential viewing, particularly for the likes of Tank

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000w6s5/extra-life-a-short-history-of-living-longer-series-1-1-vaccines

Absorb those gruesome photos of children with smallpox 🙁 Lest we forget

there are none so blind as those who will not see

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Apart from some very limited circumstances I am basically opposed to forced vaccinations and would rather rely on persuasion and peer pressure.

During our training the primacy of informed choice by patients was always drummed into us – the oft used quote is “provided they have capacity every patient must make an informed choice, even if it is a blatantly wrong choice”

Of course it doesn’t mean we don’t try and convince them their decision could have serious implications, my personal record is 2½ hours persuading a patient that he would die if he didn’t go to hospital ….. it was only when he finally realised he actually was deteriorating badly and we may be right he reluctantly agreed to go in.

The one time it does become morally difficult for us is when a patient is adamant they don’t want treatment and then they loose capacity to decide.

On the one hand, where the patient lacks capacity, we have to act in the best interests of the patient i.e. do the minimum to keep them alive until they get to hospital but we also have to consider what decision they would have made had they had capacity and, obviously, if they’ve already told us before they lose capacity it puts us in a difficult situation.

It happened to me twice ….. on one occasion we treated the patient and got them to hospital and the other we didn’t and they passed.

In the first case the patient didn’t complain we treated them and took them to hospital and in the latter the patients family and, more importantly from a registration perspective, coroner agreed we made the correct decision.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Thanks for that link Drone – looks an interesting series.

I wonder if it will cover an issue which worries me.

It’s OK extending the length of peoples life – but what about the quality of life ….. are we extending lives to the detriment of quality.

It’s something I’ve thought about for a while but really hit home with the number of jobs we would get to care homes.

Yes there were people fully active well into their 90’s and beyond but there were many more just sitting in chairs staring blankly into the distance.

I only ever cried once when doing ambulance work – it was a 96 year old lady, living at home, fully independent bright as a button who would put some people 30 years her junior to shame.

She had fallen and fractured her hip and was convinced it was like having a scratch and bruise.

We knew, at her age, she had a 30% chance of not coming out of theatre alive and the chances of her gaining full mobility and freedom were probably less than 10%

We popped into see her before we left A&E and her last words were “I want you two to come round for a cup of tea in a couple of weeks.”

It absolutely broke my heart – when we got back to the ambulance I just bawled my eyes out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

The jury seems to be out as to whether the vaccinated can spread it but once you’ve had it you have little to personally fear from those who refuse it.

Not convinced that’s true as the unvaccinated could act as reservoirs for new variants that current vaccines are less efficacious against

But, as you intimate, there remain plenty of unknowns, so much is conjectural

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

That’s got gamble logged in :bye:

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 404 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.