County Hurdle

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2017 County Hurdle

This topic contains 78 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Zarkava Zarkava 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Funkmaster Flex
    Participant
    • Total Posts 97

Would any of you guys be keen on Peace & Co. Henderson said in his interview with RUK that he’s had a wind op and is a different horse and could go to the imperial cup and then here? Is that not too close together for a horse that has been off the track for a while??

16/1 NRNB

(my racing knowledge is still minimal so excuse me if this is way off! :good:

With Henderson you can never rule anything out. It would be a big ask though to win both for any horse, let alone one having been off for a year. He was pretty mediocre when last seen too but if the wind op helps him rediscover to within a stone or so of his juvenile form then he would certainly be up to winning the Imperial Cup.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1077

Arctic fire entered

Jaymo74
    Participant
    • Total Posts 233

Would any of you guys be keen on Peace & Co. Henderson said in his interview with RUK that he’s had a wind op and is a different horse and could go to the imperial cup and then here? Is that not too close together for a horse that has been off the track for a while??

16/1 NRNB

With Henderson you can never rule anything out. It would be a big ask though to win both for any horse, let alone one having been off for a year. He was pretty mediocre when last seen too but if the wind op helps him rediscover to within a stone or so of his juvenile form then he would certainly be up to winning the Imperial Cup.

The problem with Peace n Co last year was that he was an absolute lunatic. He tugged and pulled away his chances with nothing left to give at the business end. If you believe that Hendo has sorted out the horses head,then he’s chucked in off 149 (i think thats correct). After winning the Triumph in 2015,he was as short as 5/1 for last years Champion Hurdle. I’ve punted 2 others – Ivanovich Gorbatov (last years Triumph Winner) and Hargam (3rd in the Triumph 2 years ago) Both have been incuspicous in their runs this year with a festival handicap in mind. At 25s and 50s,im involved :yahoo:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

Took the 14s at Hills of NORTH HILL HARVEY.Think they do the Greatwood and County hurdle double like last year.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15788

Not going mad with Ante-Post bets on the handicaps this year, not least in this race, with Sternrubin already out, but Allblak Des Places 33’s NRNB is very tempting.

Funkmaster Flex
    Participant
    • Total Posts 97

16/1 NRNB

The problem with Peace n Co last year was that he was an absolute lunatic. He tugged and pulled away his chances with nothing left to give at the business end. If you believe that Hendo has sorted out the horses head,then he’s chucked in off 149 (i think thats correct). After winning the Triumph in 2015,he was as short as 5/1 for last years Champion Hurdle. I’ve punted 2 others – Ivanovich Gorbatov (last years Triumph Winner) and Hargam (3rd in the Triumph 2 years ago) Both have been incuspicous in their runs this year with a festival handicap in mind. At 25s and 50s,im involved :yahoo:

I can see why you’d fancy those two. :good:

Litts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

Having spotted Peace and Co at Doncaster when he destroyed the field (and starchitect). Backed him at 7’s before he got battered in to just over evens. Made a lot of money on him so it’s been sad to see his demise so quickly from the horse he could have been.

Watched him having a run out at Kempton yesterday and he looked pretty good. No evidence of ripping the jockey’s arms off and managed to stay behind brain power. Admittedly this was only three of them but they were on the racecourse.

I’m happy to back him for this race. Maybe sentiment is coming into it but he seems to be back to himself and @20’s he’s worth a e/w bet.

FrankieMac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 154

Weights are out – having had a quick scan I had to have a few points on Hargam at 33s – looks well handicapped to me :unsure:

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

Ivanovic gorbatov
    Tombstone
    Limini
    Riven light
    Listen dear / dont touch it (if back over hurdles)
    Would be my shortlist atm. Depending on handicap marks

Tombstone now very likely to run here after being given a very lenient handicap Mark.
    Gone back in nrnb

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

I’ve backed Tell Us More, taking the 25/1 as soon as it was confirmed that his rating will remain 143. He was a funny horse when with Willie Mullins. If you watch Douvan’s Supreme Novices’, you’ll notice this horse travelling better than anything (winner included!) before curling up the straight. He often shaped as if he had some sort of problem but won his share of races over hurdles and fences for the yard.

Switched to Gordon Elliott for two starts early in the season, there has been much more end product from Tell Us More. He beat 150s performers Alisier D’Irlande and The Game Changer despite a terrible round of jumping over fences, digging quite deep to assert after the last. He’s potentially thrown-in.

Winter Escape and Peace And Co could also be huge blots on the handicap, but there’s a bit less guessing required with Tell Us More. At least we’ve seen him run to 160ish in the last 12 months, whereas those two haven’t even completed a race in that time. The prices have gone for all three now but I’m happy with my position.

I’ll probably have one more slightly creative bet on the day (6 places please!) with Vosne Romanee, currently 33/1 in a place. Dr Newland’s potions are certainly kicking in with this one and he has been improving rapidly over hurdles and on the flat in the last year. I’m not worried about his long absence as Newland told Coral Champions Club back in October that the horse would have a long break, then one or two all-weather runs, then the County Hurdle. He hasn’t run in this standard of race before, but Newland is usually adept at knowing exactly what he has on his hands.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

I’ve backed Tell Us More, taking the 25/1 as soon as it was confirmed that his rating will remain 143. He was a funny horse when with Willie Mullins. If you watch Douvan’s Supreme Novices’, you’ll notice this horse travelling better than anything (winner included!) before curling up the straight. He often shaped as if he had some sort of problem but won his share of races over hurdles and fences for the yard.

Switched to Gordon Elliott for two starts early in the season, there has been much more end product from Tell Us More. He beat 150s performers Alisier D’Irlande and The Game Changer despite a terrible round of jumping over fences, digging quite deep to assert after the last. He’s potentially thrown-in.

Winter Escape and Peace And Co could also be huge blots on the handicap, but there’s a bit less guessing required with Tell Us More. At least we’ve seen him run to 160ish in the last 12 months, whereas those two haven’t even completed a race in that time. The prices have gone for all three now but I’m happy with my position.

I’ll probably have one more slightly creative bet on the day (6 places please!) with Vosne Romanee, currently 33/1 in a place. Dr Newland’s potions are certainly kicking in with this one and he has been improving rapidly over hurdles and on the flat in the last year. I’m not worried about his long absence as Newland told Coral Champions Club back in October that the horse would have a long break, then one or two all-weather runs, then the County Hurdle. He hasn’t run in this standard of race before, but Newland is usually adept at knowing exactly what he has on his hands.

Peace and co dosent run.
    I’d give tell us more a shout though.
    And add in mick jazz for good measure.
    Will be interesting to see how Cilaos emery gets on in the supreme in regards to the latter.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Wow, I hadn’t heard. One of the big dangers out of the way I suppose.

Mmm Mick Jazz. I had him in mind for every big 2m handicap hurdle this season, but he’d always get pulled out at final decs. Then Gordy Elliott decided to win a graded novice with him! :wacko:

I guess it’s a sign of confidence if they STILL think the horse is well-in after spilling their beans like that.

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 781

I am going to pile into Ivanovich Gorbatov (gone from 11’s which I took into 8’s) and Arctic Fire. That Triumph form from last year is looking very strong indeed

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5703

Will look again to Song Light EW who has not let me down and deserves a decent prize.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I have gone for Vosne Romanee at 25/1, as I decided to wait for enhanced place terms. With six places up for grabs it offsets the loss of 8pts on the double carpet available earlier.

The horse looks laid out for this and has won on lively ground. The form of his Perth win is mixed but some winners have come from it and he won well that day. He has quickly gone up 20 Lbs in the ratings and a win at Wolverhampton a months ago will have put him spot on. He’s already more than 60 Lbs higher over hurdles than he was on the Flat and the trainer is pretty good with his small stable. They have not had a lot of runners out but have five winners from their last 20 runners.

I like Air Horse One, who has found the winning thread, but I am worried that another 8 lbs hike in the Handicap and this more competitive company may find him out this time.

I’ll leave Ivanovich Gorbatov. The decent ground should help but he hasn’t tasted victory for a while and I am not sure if he is really well in off 150 on his handicap debut. Single figure prices on him is too short to my mind.

North Hill Harvey will be popular but two things put me off. He hasn’t been seen since December and he is 2/2 on Soft, whereas he is 0/4 on Good To Soft. I just don’t see value at 7/1.

Mick Jazz is from the Elliott yard and has the rising star Jack Kennedy on board. I just can’t bring myself to back him at these odds. Much of his price is based on connections and while he may well win this, I don’t see any wriggle room in his current odds.

Winter Escape would have a shout if bouncing back from a poor effort behind North Hill Harvey in the Greatwood but Alan King is pitching a shut-out at the meeting thus far and when your luck is out it sometimes stays out and there is just a suspicion for me about his earlier wins when well odds on. The Doncaster race isn’t worth talking about for form and while the Dovecote he won threw up wins from all four opponents subsequently, it’s a mixed bag of destinations they won in and there are some disappointing efforts in the mix as well. Just a suspicion that the huge field here will be a different game to where he has done his winning and the jockey won’t get away with dropping his whip as he did in the Dovecote.

In the end it was a question of picking a potential improver at big odds and trusting he will be in the first half dozen home.

Vosne Romanee 25/1 E/W 1-2-3-4-5-6

Hopefully it’s Coleman Mustard and not Coleman Balls. Remarkable :whistle:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.