The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheveley Park 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Cheveley Park 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Kentucky SpringKentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375

Ward said: “I train every horse on clenbuterol and the majority of trainers, all the top trainers, train all their horses on it. It is not an illegal drug and it is wonderful for keeping horses’ airways clean.”

As far as I am aware, British trainers can not use Clenuterol during training… And it not only keeps “horses airways clear”, it can also be used as a growth hormone.

imo It’s like Al Zarrooni setting up in another country that allows the stuff he was banned for, and then us encouraging him to race his horses over here.

It can indeed be used for muscle growth and when used on a regulatory basis (every horse) it is not used as intended and muscle will grow, excersize or not.
    In some countries it is used to grow muscle on lamb and calfs who are boxed with no excersize before slaughter.

Best Wishes
    Silk

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WARD+AND+THE+ISSUE+OF+DRUGS%3B+David+Ashforth+on+the+medication…-a0205955466

The above link should work, the numbers were not clickable in the original link.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5770

On drugs, it’s a simple fix for the BHA if they care to face up to it: allow no runners from any racing territory where (name your drug) is freely used.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Kentucky SpringKentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375

thank you for the fix, Caution, I failed in two attempts :good:

Best Wishes
    Silk

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I backed Caravaggio ante-post for the Morny, believing he could go something like fast enough to keep tabs on Lady Aurelia and then overhaul her in the final furlong but he never showed up. Looking at the way the Morny panned out late on I feel he may well have beaten her, given that lesser horses than him closed her down.

I actually happened to be watching when Lady Aurelia made her US debut and was taken by her early dash, her low action and her cadence. To me she looked a filly who would take the dickens of catching in the Queen Mary.

It took time to get odds quoted for Lady Aurelia but I managed to get 5/1 for Ascot and never had a concern, even having had reservations about the ground going against her. For me though, it looks like the obvious explanation for her less impressive display in the Morny was the 6th furlong.

Lady Aurelia was only about a length clear of Al Johrah in the Morny, yet she stuffed that filly 7 lengths at Royal Ascot. Al Johraj went on to be beaten at odds-on in Group 3 company next time and Tis Marvellous ran like a scabby donkey in the Flying Childers, so hardly an endorsement of the Morny form.

I want to take her on at these odds but there is no value for me in Queen Kindly at her price and it is hard to fathom why Roly Poly is double her odds on better weight terms. For me, Roly Poly looks the value at 6/1. She is a course and distance winner, albeit that I don’t think that was a great Cherry Hinton she won. For me her Lowther run was the better effort and she may well beat Queen Kindly this time.

The Caution Quid is on Roly Poly to “Jam” it up Lady Aurelia B-)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

I recall years ago Lyric Fantasy looking almost unbeatable over five furlongs and then being completely put in her place by Sayyedati in the Cheveley park. There are some comparisons with the situation here for sure although Roly Poly and Queen Kindly aren’t a Sayyedati.

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1196

Had to laugh at the Oddschecker verdict for this race. Apparently, Lady Aurelia isn’t progressing; quite how anybody can draw that conclusion after ONE subsequent run (and that in a race for which Dettori said the ground was “horrible”) I’m not sure. And a flat six furlongs is going to be the limit of her stamina, they say…. seemingly oblivious to the fact that she was powering away from her field- not coming back to them- at the end of the Queen Mary over Ascot’s stiff five.

The American filly may lose tomorrow (I can’t see it myself, but there’s no such thing as a certainty) but Oddschecker’s reasons for taking her on are specious at best. One wonders how such flawed writers land these gigs.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Had to laugh at the Oddschecker verdict for this race. Apparently, Lady Aurelia isn’t progressing; quite how anybody can draw that conclusion after ONE subsequent run (and that in a race for which Dettori said the ground was “horrible”) I’m not sure. And a flat six furlongs is going to be the limit of her stamina, they say…. seemingly oblivious to the fact that she was powering away from her field- not coming back to them- at the end of the Queen Mary over Ascot’s stiff five.

The American filly may lose tomorrow (I can’t see it myself, but there’s no such thing as a certainty) but Oddschecker’s reasons for taking her on are specious at best. One wonders how such flawed writers land these gigs.

Struggling to see what oddschecker have done wrong? There is a clear difference between a stiff five and a stiff six. I should think that everyone who opposes her will be making the case that she might be better at five than six. You can’t just ignore the Morny run.

Dettori’s comments about the ground were well reported. He would say that though, wouldn’t he? I think it was similar ground for the other four runners. At least he can’t use the ground excuse tomorrow.

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1196

Struggling to see what oddschecker have done wrong?

Leaving aside the five/six furlong debate, how could anybody draw the conclusion that a horse isn’t progressing using just one race as evidence?

We all know that horses can underperform- even Frankel nearly got beaten in the St James’s Palace Stakes. Maybe he had hit his peak in the Guineas…

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26480

Lady Aurelia’s effectiveness at 6f is a worthy point, although I believe she does stay 6f. Morny disappointing win/distance due more to the pace rather than trip. If she’s allowed to set an even or slow pace can’t see a prolem. If taken on and forced to go too quick early-on, then she may not last home… But neither will the filly that takes her on, so it’s unlikely anything will.
    I would also say she’s unlikely to progress further, not because of what happened in France but how unbelievabley top class the Ascot performance was… And imo the probable use of growth hormone Clenbuterol, which brings a horse to peak career performance a lot sooner. ie Maybe Oddschecker are skirting around the reasons for their conclusions.

value is everything
    thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Channel four sucking up to ward right now on the morning line, sickening. Why don’t they actually ask probing questions like “what are you really giving your horses?”

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Seems to be no money at all for Roly Poly. It doesn’t look right when you can’t lay a 4/1 shot at 6’s. There have been a few successful late Coolmore gambles this season but unless the money does arrive I have a nasty feeling she might well bomb. Perhaps all hasn’t been plain sailing since York and this amounts to a little bit of a dart throw?

Given their number of horses bit surprised Coolmore didn’t throw something in just to give the favourite a hard time for a couple of furlongs.

thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Brave Anna bounced back. Clearly the stiff six furlongs was what she wanted as similar conditions to Ascot.

Not sure you’d fancy her for the guineas though as she’s disappointed each time she’s been asked to go beyond six.

thejudge1thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

The jockey said something revealing there in the post race interview- he said you could rely on Aiden to prime them for the group ones

Is he suggesting that they don’t wound them up for lesser races? In which case we can understand why she’s been stuffed her last two starts? (Although the moyglare was also a group one) :wacko:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4525

Just to confirm television set is still in one piece.

The game is impossible at times, you get everything within reason spot on and still can’t win.

Commiserations to everyone who backed the second.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.