The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

due to safety – winds

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

What a fking joke. I’m sorry but this country is a nanny state. I’m surprised they don’t ban people from walking out of front doors just in case something happens to them.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Marsh
    • Total Posts 92

Not good, hope the weather improves.

I does mean that there will be a bumper card of racing over the next two days.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Have to say i’m shocked, but guess if someone got injured through marquee etc falling down then we’d be criticising them. It’s a shame for those who have traveled down for the week. What a shame.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Its too windy. :roll:

Its that bad it hasn’t even blown Thommo’s cap off. What is the matter with the building at Cheltenham can’t they get somebody to fit a secure roof?

Ten years ago there would have been no question of abandoning its absolutely freakin ridiculous.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

If they are rescheduling the races over the next few days then will they get them on TV, will be gutted if have to watch a replay of the QMCC, the Ballymore or the R+SA. Ch4 doesnt seem to have mentioned that

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Some of the races will now be run on a different course, including the Stayers Hurdle.

Will this make much of a difference to Inglis Drevers chances?

Steve

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

Staging today’s races on the remaining days will mean worse ( ie more congested) crowds and earlier starts, I suppose.

Not something I look forward to with anything but forboding. It was going to be bad enough on Gold Cup Day without this.

Perhaps, global warming really is having an effect, I don’t know, but present day health and safety laws together with racecourse greed ( packing in more and more tents) hasn’t helped.

Still, we cannot turn back the clock or control the weather.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

What about bets? I’ve backed Tamarinbleu on the basis that it would run today on todays course in todays conditions.

Still can’t get over this decision.

seemorebusiness
    Participant
    • Total Posts 39

I’m the first one to criticise some of the things this country does but although I’m very disappointed about the abandonment can you imagine if something did happen today? The festival would probably never be the same again. The H&S folks would have a field day.

Disappointing but at least they are going to squeeze all the races in over the next 2 days.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Dessie Hughes and Barry Geraghty didn’t seem to quite believe that racing had been abandoned, and from the television footage you’d have to agree with them.

Utter nonsense.

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

What happens if tomorrow is windy still? ? ?

Stage a 3-day bumper card in 1 day, on Friday.

Wolverhampton style.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’m the first one to criticise some of the things this country does but although I’m very disappointed about the abandonment can you imagine if something did happen today? The festival would probably never be the same again. The H&S folks would have a field day.

Disappointing but at least they are going to squeeze all the races in over the next 2 days.

Its life something can happen at any time. FFS abandonning racing because of the wind it really isn’t on its bloody awful. If they cant manage to build a stand that doesn’t blow down at the slightest puff of wind then go back to the 1930’s or whatever and just have everyone standing on a bank.

There’s no excuse at all.

Too wet its called off, too firm we water forever, too windy we call it off, its absolutely laughable and a complete nonsense.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I’m glad i never traveled down there, and good question about C4 racing. Will they be able to show all the races?? Perhaps they could move some to More4 , but still those with terrestrial wouldn’t get to see all races. Ahh what a terrible shame it really is. :( :(

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I can’t believe it’s been abandoned, worst decision ever, it must be something to do withe the safety of the corporate tents, because you’d definitely race in these winds. Why not close the tented villages and let the racing carry on? How do they know the winds won’t abate before lunchtime?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.