The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

The place needs knocking down and replacing by a properly designed horse AND punter-friendly 21st century construction.

There is no point in receiving advance -notice gale warnings if your structures are flimsy.

Seafarers know that stormy predictions mean cancelled sailings; they don’t say " never mind – we’ll try get across on our rubber lilo."

Now is the time to sort things out for the future. i don’t think those winds are just going to blow away and never return.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Horses are all there already……..it should have been left until the last minute surely?…….warn people by all means even if they said it was only 50/50 people would still travel and risk it……2 days left to fit in 6 races can easily be done even if they start 12.30 with the ones they missed……that was they can keep times the same which won’t affect travel plans but no doubt they’ll take the easy wasy out and we’ll lose 4 of them………disgrace if they do as owners and trainers have waited all year for this

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I’m assuming they will still use the Old Course for the races that should have been run today?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

The place needs knocking down and replacing by a properly designed horse AND punter-friendly 21st century construction.

There is no point in receiving advance -notice gale warnings if your structures are flimsy.

Seafarers know that stormy predictions mean cancelled sailings; they don’t say " never mind – we’ll try get across on our rubber lilo."

Now is the time to sort things out for the future. i don’t think those winds are just going to blow away and never return.

Don’t know what wind is Sean……..Monsoons in Bangkok where the wind would blow you away at times and they have two courses. They never get lumps of timber or roofs flying about…and they say Thailand is a third world country :(

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Thommo’s question – Do the horses know there is no racing today? Is this man on the planet?

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Let’s just hope the weather clears up and the winds reduce because they can’t abandon it tomorrow.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’m assuming they will still use the Old Course for the races that should have been run today?

Races run tomorrow will be on the old course. Those run on Friday will be on the new course.

Steve

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3235

Don’t blame Cheltenham – this is a police decision and if Cheltenham chose to ignore them, their insurance would be invalidated.

AP

Marsh
    • Total Posts 92

10 races tomorrow

9 on Friday

:shock:

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

The gusts are very, very strong here in Cheltenham. What would have happened if one of the termporary structures blew across the course, hitting horses?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

whats happening with the antepost bets for today?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Don’t blame Cheltenham – this is a police decision and if Cheltenham chose to ignore them, their insurance would be invalidated.

AP

I don’t care whos decision it is its wrong.

People are capable of looking after themselves and making their own decisions regarding their safety (to a large extent) the country is turning into a farcical nanny state.

Disgraceful – noticeably not one of the C4 team has said anything to question the merits of the decision all being politically correct and to be honest false as the proverbial.

The whole situation stinks.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

I can’t believe it’s been abandoned, worst decision ever, it must be something to do withe the safety of the corporate tents, because you’d definitely race in these winds. Why not close the tented villages and let the racing carry on? How do they know the winds won’t abate before lunchtime?

The weather woman on FiveLive predicted that the winds will gradually die down during the morning and it would not be too bad at all when racing is due to start.
    I realise that the gates were due to open at 1000 and they’ve got to do something with those people but maybe the decision could have been stalled a bit to see what develops?
    I’ve a feeling that come 2.00 all will be serene and frustration will reign.

Anybody on here know if C4 have plans to extend coverage?
    With More 4, E4 and maybe red button options you’d think that they can sort something out or maybe RUK can come to the rescue and unscramble as a PR gesture?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

The gusts are very, very strong here in Cheltenham. What would have happened if one of the termporary structures blew across the course, hitting horses?

What would happen if a nutter sneaked in with a gun and shot people or a metor hit the earth or there was an earthquake?

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

I don’t know what is meant by " leave it till the last minute". The gale warning came last week from the met office.

Even then, many , including some on here, were more concerned with chat about the good drainage of the course.

Most serious punters are in the area already, and I suppose this applies to the once-a-year revellers who are probably out on the town as we write.

Imo, all lost races should be staged on the Saturday and on Sunday. The good cards of Thursday and Friday should not be spoiled.
    Of course, this won’t happen, but it would be the best thing to do, imo.

Yes, Gareth, perhaps the whole caboodle should be transferred to Wolver AW ! I was there on "marathon day", btw. Ten races was a bit O.T.T , imo.

Mind you, even at Cheltenham, a lot of people left early yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.