The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheletenham Wednesday Abandoned

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

Clearly the correct decision today, however I’m a little dissapointed that the 2 days won’t start with their ‘traditional’ opening races, the Ballymore (Sun Alliance) Novices Hurdle tomorrow, and the Triumph Hurdle on Friday.

The 4m plodders race on Thursday, and the new mares only race on Friday don’t really have the same ‘oomph’ about them. A muted roar?

Maybe that’s the old-fart traditionalist in me. :)

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

On the plus side, from a quality perspective the Thursday last year was the worst days racing at the festival that I can remember in over 20 years.

With the exception of Inglis Drever, this year wasn’t shaping up to be much better.

At least by having the Champion chase et al. on the same day it will add to the occasion.

Lee

Katchit
    • Total Posts 115

From a wholly selfish perspective – I was having to miss today to work but having been yesterday (did I mention that we won the Champion Hurdle yesterday :D )… I am going tomorrow and Friday

I won’t miss a single race AND what racing as well… 10 races tomorrow and I’ll get to see Choc get wins 3,4 and 5 in Group Captain, MWDS and Voy Por… hooray!!!!

When I get home I’ll turn off the fans in the garden!

High Ken
    • Total Posts 47

A poor decision by a sport that is growing more soft by the day. I have looked at the national news and as yet can’t find any reports of damage, destruction, or deaths/injuries of anyone in the Cheltenham area. Strange that. Do you think the scaffolders had a day off work around Cheltenham?

Mr Gillespie was the man who wanted to do away with the 4 mile chase due to H&S, ignoring the fact the Queen Mother Champion Chase had a much higher percentage of fallers, etc.

This is one of the first courses to doll off fences due to low sun, and act in a knee jerk way to any faller on the course. We have seen the ditches filled in, the fences weakened, the races reduced in length, the field sizes reducing yearly and after Granit Jack’s fall (a rare fatality at the fence after he had never run in a chase in the UK or at Cheltenham), alterations to one of the last remaining fences that needed some jumping/skill.

mightyironman
    • Total Posts 5

Fair play to all you lot getting the bonus of the extra races! But remember extra races mean really DEEP pockets!!!
    Was there yesterday, supposed to be there today as well, but was absolutley gutted when I heard the news on C4 this morning, so made the long trip home after Breakfast.
    Second year I was there "The Cheltenham Festival" nothing like being there, can’t wait for next year already!!!

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 124

FLASH calling Flash,

You OK? You haven’t contributed to this thread for a little while.

Hope you haven’t been felled by a roof tile, or possibly metaphormosised into High Ken.

Regards,

LlanrumneyBoy

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

A poor decision by a sport that is growing more soft by the day. I have looked at the national news and as yet can’t find any reports of damage, destruction, or deaths/injuries of anyone in the Cheltenham area. Strange that. Do you think the scaffolders had a day off work around Cheltenham?

Mr Gillespie was the man who wanted to do away with the 4 mile chase due to H&S, ignoring the fact the Queen Mother Champion Chase had a much higher percentage of fallers, etc.

This is one of the first courses to doll off fences due to low sun, and act in a knee jerk way to any faller on the course. We have seen the ditches filled in, the fences weakened, the races reduced in length, the field sizes reducing yearly and after Granit Jack’s fall (a rare fatality at the fence after he had never run in a chase in the UK or at Cheltenham), alterations to one of the last remaining fences that needed some jumping/skill.

If we could only see into the future!! Dammit, I’m jealous of Denzel Washington in Deja Vu and, on a smaller scale, Nicholas Cage in Next. 8)

Accidents are prevented by analysing potential risks and taking the appropriate actions. The correct decision was made.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

High Ken, I would think that the chances of there being low sun in June are pretty slim.

Colin

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I’m feeling similar as wilsonl & Emerald. I’d arranged to have Thursday & Friday off work, so I’m delighted that Cheltenham have re-scheduled the festival to fit in with my holidays! They will be long days though, not sure if 9-10 races a day may be just too much, even at home, we’ll see. I’ll add my commiserations to those who had tickets & were due to travel today.

In case I can’t find the well done Katchit thread, well done to Katchit (the person), that was a brave run by your horse, just about sums him up.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

FLASH calling Flash,

You OK? You haven’t contributed to this thread for a little while.

Hope you haven’t been felled by a roof tile, or possibly metaphormosised into High Ken.

Regards,

LlanrumneyBoy

I’m still here mate, got bored of it now I’m sure many people will be relieved to know. :wink:

High Ken
    • Total Posts 47

"seabird" wrote: High Ken, I would think that the chances of there being low sun in June are pretty slim.

Colin

Does the sun not set in June or do we have 24 hour daylight?

You missed the irony anyway. Low sun, false ground, a bit of wind, it’s all the same when it comes to racing in the noughties.

As said previously it makes you wonder how we won 2 World Wars. The H&S mob wouldn’t allow us out of bed now for fear of hurting ourselves and suing the Army.

You would have had more chance of being killed on the M25 this morning (and most mornings) than at Cheltenham today, but they don’t close that every day.

High Ken
    • Total Posts 47

Bosranic.

Life is a risk, but let’s be honest, can you please list for me all the racegoers killed by flying objects at a racecourse in the last 50 years? I’m struggling. It was the same when I was trying to think of the last jock killed by low sun.

When I read some of the posts by those who must either be the increasing number of H&S staff or just purely brainwashed by this safety obsessed society we now live in, I just despair. No wonder anyone who likes to take risks has to leave this island.

High Ken
    • Total Posts 47

"MyceneanPrincess" wrote: I seem to recall the Clerk at Huntington getting berated a few weks back, especially by Lydia Hislop on RUK for not acting quickly enough to call of the racing.

Today the Cheltenham Exec are decisive and manage the situation brilliantly (as testified by Willie Mullins no less) and still some people on here and other forums complain.

Is Lydia Hislop spokesperson for the H&S mob? She appears to be. I remember this was the lady who said on RUK that Kawagino had no right to run in the 2006 Champion Hurdle off a rating of 108 before he finished the 2nd best British trained horse in the race!!

You would be hard pressed to move Lydia Hislop with a tornado so what on earth was she going on about.

Plumpton showed on Monday what you can do with strong winds and waterlogged conditions. Just get on with it.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I bet some of you guys moaned in 1985 that the match in Heysel went off a couple of hours late and again in 1989 because the match in Hillsborough was abandoned.

Get some perspective on things for God’s sake.

I think that remark is totally out of order.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

It is not just in our country. Racing authorities in New York are much quicker to call off racing than over here and have done numerous times over the Winter.

Back in November at Aqueduct they cancelled racing which included a Group race after jockeys refused to ride prior to the first race, citing strong winds. There it was only 20mph with gusts up to 30mph and it was only flat racing in a semi suburban area.

Good decision by Cheltenham exec made quickly and efficiently so people didn’t waste their journeys and now I’m going to go on Friday as the great card now looks awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.