The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Gripes

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Gripes

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

….. but in this case the injured jockey was the winner’s (ex) girlfriend so this is why I think it was inappropriate.

Which would have been all the more interesting had Emma been doing the interviewing today :wink:

I see the point you’re making Steve but wouldn’t necessarily agree with it.

Is the nature of any relationship they may or may not have of any concern to anyone other than themselves (or their families)?

No pun intended but any relationship they may have / had is solely their affair and I don’t see why it should affect any editorial decision by a broadcaster.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33006

….. but in this case the injured jockey was the winner’s (ex) girlfriend so this is why I think it was inappropriate.

Which would have been all the more interesting had Emma been doing the interviewing today :wink:

I see the point you’re making Steve but wouldn’t necessarily agree with it.

Is the nature of any relationship they may or may not have of any concern to anyone other than themselves (or their families)?

No pun intended but any relationship they may have / had is solely their affair and I don’t see why it should affect any editorial decision by a broadcaster.

Not sure I agree with that Paul.

They are ex’s, so that might make a bit of a difference, and we are more in the dark about the present relationship. Do the C4 team know Jamie and Hayley can’t stand each other now?

But if the two people concerned are known to be close, brother, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend etc… Then there should not (imo) be an interview until they know how things stand.

Would it have been ok to interview Amy Ryan straight after the race had she won the race Brian Toomey had had his injury?

However in this case as I said, it’s not a big issue in my view and they had to make a quick decision.

Value Is Everything
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

Just watching the Morning Line right now. Ayr Gold day and an excellent card at Newbury.

What’s the first feature? The French Arc trials……maybe later on in the programme but not first up.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Just watching the Morning Line right now. Ayr Gold day and an excellent card at Newbury.

What’s the first feature? The French Arc trials……maybe later on in the programme but not first up.

Firstly I am surprised they even bothered to go all the way up to Ayr and didn’t just camp at Newbury.

I see Lord Snooty hasn’t turned up ever since he made a comment "I hope we goto Sandown next week as it’s nearest home" you get the impression he is picking his days off and really doesn’t want to go anywhere that is "north".

It really must have grated having to go to Doncaster last week bet he was brushing the seat before he sat down like Hyacinth. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

What was Hannon’s nap ? I was boiling the kettle

Participant
    • Total Posts 33006

What was Hannon’s nap ? I was boiling the kettle

Eqchequer in the 4:40 Newbury Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Out of 1,238 channels it is c4 the only one not working. They pulled the plug when Mick Fitz opened his mouth. :roll:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I see Lord Snooty hasn’t turned up ever since he made a comment "I hope we goto Sandown next week as it’s nearest home" you get the impression he is picking his days off and really doesn’t want to go anywhere that is "north".

I do have some sympathy with Nick on this one – Ayr is not an easy course to get to from down saaf.

There used to be internal flights from London to Prestwick which made it an absolute doddle to get to but they are, alas, no more (and they worked out cheaper than driving if booked well in advance)

Driving, it took me over six hours to drive home from Ayr on Scottish National day and Lucky would have another hour on top of that.

Plus if Gold Cup day crowd is anything like Scottish National day, which I believe it is, then I can also fully understand why he wouldn’t want to go :D

• Total Posts 336

Nick Luck’s absence was a bonus. Thought Rishi Persad did an excellent job today, and has made me change my opinion of him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

if only Tom Lee and Mick Fitzgerald hadn’t been there either it would have been perfect. I do so miss the old team.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

I watched the first half hour of The Morning Line today and found the presentation fine. I found the fast moving magazine format just what is required on a Saturday morning.

However the decision to begin with the French Arc trials was the wrong one. Focus has to be on today’s racing surely.

I watched CH4 Racing last Friday afternoon at Doncaster and was disappointed. I can’t take to the theme tune for starters! Thereafter the presentation is just too slick. There’s just not the cosy feel of old. The stage managed McGrath and Fitzy slots from the booth are pretty cringeworthy.

Where were Luck and Balding today? Do they know there’s a belting night out in Ayr when the Western meeting is on that shouldn’t be missed. I could just see the 2 of them on the karaoke down Smugglers bar!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33006

Luck and Balding were not at Ayr because today was not one of the biggest British racing Saturdays of the year . There was no Group 1. Ayr Gold Cup may be a big Scottish race, but the rest of the card is not top class aby Summer Saturday standards. Like it or not, unless you’re idea of racing heaven is 6f handicaps… it has nothing on the previous weekend’s "Classic", with two Group 2’s and Portland to back it up… Or next week’s duo of Group 1’s, Sun Chariot and Cheveley Park, big handicap Cambridgeshire, plus the Group 2 Royal Lodge in just a support role. Balding and Luck’s contracts are only for a certain number of race days and difficult decisions on where to use them need to be made.

As Paul says, if it is not a good trip up to Ayr, Channel 4 probably want their main two presenters fresh for Newmarket.

Value Is Everything
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

Tbh neither Luck or Balding add much to the coverage with respect to what I am looking for so if they want to give some meetings a miss then good luck to them. Nowadays the main presenters seem to fluctuate each week. I think that’s a mistake as the weekend viewer wants some consistency in the racing coverage.

I would argue that races like the Ayr Gold Cup and Cambridgeshire gain more interest (and viewers) than the St Leger and Sun Chariot. However there’s a focus in racing and the media on the Champions Series and these old handicaps are getting slightly lost in the mix. And the move towards having all the key races in a 3 hour slot on a Saturday afternoon is not helping either the Group races or these old heritage handicaps.

I watched RUK’s afternoon coverage on Sky+ yesterday teatime and between Ayr/Newbury/Newmarket/Catterick it was just too much. There was hardly any time for analysis of the races or interviews with connections given the volume of racing RUK had to cover.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

Slightly off subject but I was lucky to go on a cruise last week and one of the entertainment "artists" was a chap who balanced upside down with his head resting on the top of a bottle to the tune of the bbc racing theme from the 1990s,what memory’s that gave me of the old days of Julian Wilson,Richard pitman etc all much preferable to the current dumbed down ch4 racing

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Slightly off subject but I was lucky to go on a cruise last week and one of the entertainment "artists" was a chap who balanced upside down with his head resting on the top of a bottle

You can see that every Saturday night in Glasgow. Free.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Noticed this many times now re the ‘Tanyas Market Movers’ skit. Does she never check the markets the night before the races?? Said Rizeena moves from 7-4 to 2-1 but when I checked yesturday I’m pretty damn sure I saw Rizeena at around the evens mark. 7-4 to 2-1 is significantly different to evens to 2-1

Also said Ihtimal moved from 5-2 to 2-1 but the horse was definitely at 3-1 with paddypower yesturday.

It may seem petty but this is the case with the majority of her ‘market movers’.

Or am I missing the point and they only look at moves on the day? If this is the case then I think they should involve the odds for the day before because from my short experience the main market moves happen at around 10pm the night before.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Noticed this many times now re the ‘Tanyas Market Movers’ skit. Does she never check the markets the night before the races?? Said Rizeena moves from 7-4 to 2-1 but when I checked yesturday I’m pretty damn sure I saw Rizeena at around the evens mark. 7-4 to 2-1 is significantly different to evens to 2-1

Also said Ihtimal moved from 5-2 to 2-1 but the horse was definitely at 3-1 with paddypower yesturday.

It may seem petty but this is the case with the majority of her ‘market movers’.

Or am I missing the point and they only look at moves on the day? If this is the case then I think they should involve the odds for the day before because from my short experience the main market moves happen at around 10pm the night before.

As well as speaking to any bookmakers reps who may be at the meeting, Tanya rings round the bookmakers before going on air to get the market moves.

So I would presume the moves would be based only on the morning moves.

If I happen to be at the same meeting as her in the next couple of weeks, and I remember, I will ask her.

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.