The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cooking

Home Forums Lounge Cooking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Hey all <!– s:D –>:D<!– s:D –>

Hardly been around here in recent months but I seem to have found my way back (don’t all leave at once, I’m not that bad).

After just having a small Gary Rhodes-related music rant on the ‘What Are You Listening To’ thread, I got to thinking.

Anyone on here cook often? Just for the fun of it? And if so what do you cook and why?

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

This is a bit of a random question I feel…but what are the best things to do with couscous? I usually buy ready-flavoured packets but theyre often crammed with sugar so I bought plain couscous today and was wondering how best to flavour it, or what is best served with it?

All you chefs out there can tell me how ;)

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Deep fry it.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2155

mesh,

in the countries of the Maghreb, its most often used as a bed for pieces of grilled lamb, chicken  or fish, and is given the flavours traditional to those main courses.    

for something special, try it with fresh mint, raisins and pine nuts.   really you can do it most any way that works for rice.

there are some trad ideas at

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/480/0.shtml

otherwise there’s always the old standby of the "recipes-by-ingredient" search on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

best regards

wit

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Mix it with wall paper paste to give it more body.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Sacla do a really nice Olive & Tomato pasta sauce which works well with couscous. Cook it as usual, fluff it with a fork and then stir in the sauce having warmed it up a bit. (Obviously any tomato-based sauce, or even just chopped toms with a bit of sugar and seasoning/pesto, is perfectly ok.)

Nice addition is stir-fried vegetables – peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, black olives, etc. (think pizza). To be really healthy, cut the veg up and put them in a covered bowl (cereal type) with a tiny (like a few drops) amount of olive oil and blitz them in the microwave for about 2-3 mins rather than frying them.

Delicious!

For extra, extra flavour, add a nice juicy medium-rare steak (cooked separately). Yum!

(Edited by non vintage at 12:54 am on Mar. 30, 2006)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I agree with Grasshopper ~ghastly stuff!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Use it as confetti at your next family wedding

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Nice with a bit of coriander and freshly-squeezed lemon juice, I reckon.

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Alternatively you could ignore these ignorant types and copy the Sainsbury’s version which is very nice.

Chopped peppers, sundried tomatoes, dressing. I would suggest a sizable addition of ground black pepper and maybe some black olives. Sling it in a nice salad and grill something that used to be alive on the side.

That’s my theory anyway.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Cheers for your replies…positive and negative ;)

Will probably have some tomorrow lunchtime, and pluck one of my favoured methods from here :)  I’m a bit of a fan of couscous, especially with tuna!!

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Quote: from Meshaheer

Will probably have some tomorrow lunchtime.<br> I’m a bit of a fan of couscous, <br>especially with youknow!!

Advice : Keep the fish wrapped

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I’m not very good and mainly cook basic meals like Cottage Pie and Lasagne.
    Also various stews in the slow cooker which I can leave whilst at work and be ready for when I get back.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I really enjoy cooking, and I’ll have a bash at anything really .. it’s a good way to pass a couple of hours.

I find bread the hardest, I have never managed to make a loaf that’s edible.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4714

After a fashion, though it does tend to be a bit experimental at times along the lines of chuck things in and see what comes out.

I do like to cook a curry from scratch. I used to get the timing wrong and end with burnt bits in the curry sauce, but I’ve improved now.

My wife is an excellent cook, so it’s easy to get lazy, but I don’t mind having a go when I can.

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.