The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bryony

Home Forums Horse Racing Bryony

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Okay she’s getting all the plaudits and deservedly so, but really cant let her Badger victory this afternoon go without a big thumbs up.

She’s given that horse a great ride today. Thought she might have gone off a bit strong, but she seemed to back off him just enough on the back straight of the second lap to let him fill his lungs and produce a really brave and swashbuckling drive over the final fences in the home straight. She’s very Ruby in how quiet she sits, horses seem to jump up into her hands.

Cant be many who ride a steeplechaser better. Well done Bryony. :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16289

She’s better than Ruby Cav, in the fact that she can stay on a horse at the final fence 😉
    Seriously though she gets on so well with her horses and they look after each other, she’s a natural and am sure that if any woman can win the Grand National it will be Bryony. :yes:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 942

I’ve just watched the Badger and you won’t see many better rounds of jumping this season.

And that’s Bryony’s strength. There aren’t many jocks who are better at getting their mounts to travel and jump. She’s absolutely made for 3 mile chasers.

And her enthusiasm for the game is heaven sent for promoting this wonderful sport.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

She seems to learn something from every race. Despite that bad mistake at Haydock on Black Corton, she continued trying to make the pace but when DR came upsides early in the straight on the first circuit, BC made a mistake. From then on she sat just off DR pretty much as she did yesterday. No way of knowing if Haydock was in her mind, but it’ll be interesting to see how often over the coming weeks she tries sitting just off the leader.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Her technique and course management is superb and reminds me of Geraghty

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

Just love watching this woman ride. It’s not only that she establishes sympathetic partnerships with the horses she rides (by riding them as she does) but she also fills them with confidence (by riding them that way). Such horse craft, to my mind, is relatively rare in race riding, unlike in other equestrian sport. The effects in terms of benefits are there to see. A horse like BC (regarded originally as a fun summer horse) can find it within him to win a G1. Likewise, Present Man’s jumping down the Wincanton straight yesterday. There is a great image of the pair of them on Michael Harris’ Twitter feed that says it all about what she instils in a horse:

Come on Bryony – can you imagine what this would do for horse racing if she were to win the GN and/or the GC!

Participant
    • Total Posts 574

She seems to learn something from every race. Despite that bad mistake at Haydock on Black Corton, she continued trying to make the pace but when DR came upsides early in the straight on the first circuit, BC made a mistake. From then on she sat just off DR pretty much as she did yesterday. No way of knowing if Haydock was in her mind, but it’ll be interesting to see how often over the coming weeks she tries sitting just off the leader.

Interesting point. I felt her ride cost BC at Wetherby, and that Danny Cook’s aggression won him the race and that he would have won had he been on Black Corton. She’s done a similar thing in this race and this time it has paid off.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

We were convinced that neither Present Man or her other winner would last home yesterday but she seemed to ride both races perfectly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

The ride on Capeland was the pick for me
    got high praise from Nicholls

Blackbeard to conquer the World

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Another nice winner for her at kempton yesterday too. A delight to be there on an interesting days racing

She’s a star. I’m late to this thread but it was thrill watching her timing and natural ability and empathy on saturday

And at the risk of after timing wasn’t that a superb bet . Just 2lbs higher than last years win. Highly tried after and more suitable ground sat with a ludicrously overbet inexperienced market rival

Participant
    • Total Posts 334

She is top notch. One of the best out there if you ask me.

I still remember that ride on Frodon last year. What a magnificent round of jumping that was.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

The Geraghty of 2011/2012 you mean? 😉

Yes, Bryony is different gear.

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 593

“Her technique and course management is superb and reminds me of Geraghty”

TT, where do I start with that comment. As JJM says, maybe seven years ago. Nowadays, him and Bryony are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I mean, she’s brilliant at presenting a horse at a fence and getting them too jump. Be honest, you think you can still say the same about Barry?

He’s one of the greatest NH jockeys of my lifetime. But he’s gone at the game now IMO. Bryony is a rising star, those two being compared right now is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Sometimes I really wonder …

This afternoon, I’ve watched Robbie Power ride White Moon – a novice chaser – into the back of two horses, looking for a gap that was never there. His mount wasnt the most fluent but was still in the race,staying on up the straight and yet he took a route which you wouldn’t attempt even if you were on Sprinter Sacre.

Robbie is just 2 from 20 over fences in this country for the Potts family

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 593

To quote Luke Harvey live on ITV before the days big race, “yes Barry, he jumped well at Fakenham, until you fell off”. Barry glares back, like someone who just had their last Rolo nicked.

And that just about sums it up too me, well said Luke Harvey :yahoo:

Participant
    • Total Posts 12715

I did have a bit of a laugh at that Nausered…….if looks could kill :whistle:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Very well glared, Barry.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.