The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Brigadier Gerard 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Brigadier Gerard 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think the spotlight writer has called this all wrong, and it looks a laydown for Conduit.
    Fair enough, it’s his first outing of the season, he gives weight all round, and he’s down to 10f, but he’s 2 classes above these.
    If he can’t give 7lb to the likes of Pipedreamer and Campanologist, even when not fully fit, then he’s not half the horse I believe him to be, and his entries clearly show his trainer has no fears about his dropping back in trip.
    3/1 looks an absolute steal for what is potentially European Horse of the Year, and I believe you won’t even smell that price for the Eclipse, after tomorrow’s race.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Bold statement Reet and whilst I agree about his price but I just couldn’t steam in on him.

Pipedreamer is a more than worthy opponent at this distance, as to a lesser extent are campanologist and Cima de Triomphe. With all of them in receipt of 7lb it looks no easy task for Conduit.

His best performances have come in strongly run races over longer distances and he will need a strong pace to win. I can’t see Durcan or Kirby (On the obvious front runners) wanting to force the pace too much and play into the best horses hands.

Cracking race in prospect though. I’m considering getting out early and going down there for the evening!

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

St Leger winners dodnt have a good record in the race.

But he should win if fit.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Agree he’s the one in the race with the most potential this season but bigger targets lie ahead and he’ll have to win easily as he surely won’t be given a very hard race first time. I think it may have been Nick Mordin who said that if you see a Group 1 horse in a Group 3 race you should be taking them on.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Agree he’s the one in the race with the most potential this season but bigger targets lie ahead and he’ll have to win easily as he surely won’t be given a very hard race first time. I think it may have been Nick Mordin who said that if you see a Group 1 horse in a Group 3 race you should be taking them on.

Wouldn’t like to take Stoute’s on though, he has the best older horses I believe.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Carv
    I’d agree with Nick Mordin on that most of the time, indeed it’s one of my own mantras, and Michael Stoute is a past master at using lower class races to get horses fit. However, I have a strong feeling this one is different though; partly because it’s the Eclipse course, partly because it’s a huge drop in class, but mainly because it’s this horse.
    Let’s face it, he’s 3/1 because people (Including the spotlight writer) think 10f is too short for him, particularly with all the rot that was written about him winning the BC Turf by default, but I’d bet diamonds it isn’t. Not only are 3 of his 4 gp1 entries at 10f, he showed terrific speed, around a very sharp track, against much better horses than these at Santa Anita, and I just can’t see where the opposition’s coming from.

ps And if anyone thinks 3/1 isn’t big enough, throw in the admirable Pipedreamer for the forecast. 8)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Conduit is kicking off later this year than he did last year. His stable companion Colony won that race and Conduit clearly needed the race.

That seems not to be the case this season with SMS stating he will win or run well in defeat.

Conduit appears to be a much better animal than Tartan Bearer who just caught Pipedreamer, who wasn’t fully wound up, when they met at Sandown.

The big question is how fit does Conduit have to be over this trip to beat Pipedreamer who will no doubt be straighter than he was last time?

Despite what SMS says I think he will have left a lot to work on with Conduit who has bigger fish to fry later in the season.

Pipedreamer looks the safest choice to me.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Fist, once again I am amazed at your ability to accumulate knowledge so quickly. It seems only the other day you were telling us that you knew very little about flat-racing. :wink:

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

We’ve had a lot of rain lately so I’ve been reading and and watching vidoes a lot.

Soon I am hoping to pick a winner :lol:

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Conduit appears to be a much better animal than Tartan Bearer who just caught Pipedreamer, who wasn’t fully wound up, when they met at Sandown.

The big question is how fit does Conduit have to be over this trip to beat Pipedreamer who will no doubt be straighter than he was last time?

Despite what SMS says I think he will have left a lot to work on with Conduit who has bigger fish to fry later in the season.

Pipedreamer looks the safest choice to me.

Tartan Bearer needs released at the very last second, every race he shown in shows he needs to be as he can idle in front, when he gets there he thinks he has won, and you seem to only think Pipedreamer was the only unfit horse in that field, Tartan Bearer was more unfit than him, and the Pipedreamer camp decided after all not to take the winner on. Pipedreamer is quite a honest horse but in G1 company the likes of Tartan Bearer, Frozen Fire will keep on beating him where they will have the pace more to suit. If your a Pipedreamer fan I think it was worrying he couldn’t beat Tartan Bearer when the race was no where near ran how the winner wanted, they crawled at a slow pace so Pipedreamer was allowed to get a march on the winner and still couldn’t win.

Pipedreamer though has a very good chance of winning this but he flopped badly in last years race and even passed by a 100/1 shot, if it comes a stamina test it maybe a worry.

Conduit was one of my favourite race horses last year, but he hasn’t faced a quality field at this distance and he may struggle with his penalty, he has to hope for a fast pace which hopefully Frankie will provide on Campanologist, who is actually nice value at 8/1 as I think Conduit needs the run who was not containing Tartan Bearer on gallop reports but obviously this would be expected but he surely needs the run and will come greater for it with The KG & QE in mind for the team.

I’m siding with Campanologist.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

For me the most solid horse is Pipedreamer. Very solid Group 2 and Group 3 horse.

There is a lot of runners and for some reason trainers must think this race is always going to be a weak group race. But cracking contest as a result.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Cima Du Triomphe is the one for me here, with bells on. Cant have conduit at this distance, remembering that he didnt have the speed for last years King Edward. Not gd-fm this time but 2f shorter, in more competetive grade, I’ll give him a swerve..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Bulwark

Watch the replays, it was greenness, not lack of speed that was Conduit’s problem last year, both at Ascot and Goodwood. He’d already showed bags of speed at Epsom, but didn’t come of age mentally until the Leger,

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Bulwark

Watch the replays, it was greenness, not lack of speed that was Conduit’s problem last year, both at Ascot and Goodwood. He’d already showed bags of speed at Epsom, but didn’t come of age mentally until the Leger,

Nice theory, but not for me… He didnt IMO come of age until he was running over an extra 2f on a slower surface, he had already won at epsom on a slower surface against weaker opposition, but IMO that was just his class shining through.

He is possibly the best horse in this line up but today he’s out over a trip way short of his best, against opposition, some of whom are pretty decent at that trip. IMO his price is laughable.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Bulwark

Not unlike a few others on here, you seem to think you know a horse’s distance requirements better than his trainer.
    Now, that

is

laughable.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Bulwark

Not unlike a few others on here, you seem to think you know a horse’s distance requirements better than his trainer.
    Now, that

is

laughable.

Is this his trainer who sent him for a St Leger 1m6f (at about the same time as the irish champ stakes) and the breeders cup turf 1m4f (same day as breeders cup classic)….hmmm….

Now who is it thinks they know the horses distance better than his trainer, is it possible that this race is a piece of speed work for a later target. Not entirely impoossible I would say…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Conduit’s entries:
    28May09 7:45 (Overnight) at Sandown, Blue Square Brigadier Gerard Stakes (Group 3) 11/4

17Jun09 3:45 (Early closer) at Ascot, Prince of Wales´s Stakes (Group 1)

20Jun09 3:05 (Early closer) at Ascot, Hardwicke Stakes (Group 2)

04Jul09 3:10 (Early closer) at Sandown, Coral-Eclipse (Group 1)

05Sep09 3:50 (Early closer) at Leopardstown, Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Group 1)

And just how many warm ups do you think he’ll need? :roll:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.