The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Boxing Day Bets?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Boxing Day Bets?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1822

So, with all the fascinating racing we have at our disposal on Monday, what are everyone’s top bets for the day?

I’m looking at Kemptons’ card thinking a certain Nicky Henderson could have a very special day, with Long Run and Bobs Worth looking like good things to me. Now there’s a Christmas cracker of a double <!– s:wink: –>:wink:<!– s:wink: –>

Binocular’s there too if you’re feeling ambitious, after all he’s had his run-out now <!– s:D –>:D<!– s:D –>

@TopWeightTom

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Sir Des Champs, whether he goes to Leopardstown or Limerick.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1533

Nicky Henderson’s has a few entered at Kempton but the track may be a bit sharp for Keys so Tetlami is expected to go for the 1st race. All Barry needs to do is point him in the right direction, he’s a cracking horse. I Have heard some sparkling reports about a horse called Blue Destination who was with Charlie McBride but iis now trained by John Quinn. He could run but he’s more likely to go to Wetherby if there’s some cut in the ground. One to look out for if he doesn’t take up either engagement

I might have a go on Bob’s Worth to beat Grand Crus if they both run.

Rock on Ruby could be worth a bet to beat my old pal Binocular who was very straight at Newcastle. I hope I’m wrong but I reckon something must be amiss with the horse. Depending which would show the biggest profit I might just lay Binocular if he’s very short.

Kauto Star I’ve already backed several times at much bigger odds and could make a good profit by laying it off on the day of the race. Not decided yet but at least some of it will be stay in place as I do think he’ll win.

The Hollinwell is one to trade on. Ferdy thought this horse would win the Ryanair last year but he’s been very disappointing as if something isn’t right with him. I backed him at huge odds last time and laid him off just as they turned for home absolutely cruising. He has such a high cruising speed he’s very likely to do the same again at Wetherby as am I. He could win but no matter how well he’s travelling I’ll grab the money and run if I can.

I’ll be keeping one eye on the market at Market Rasen where City Theatre is due to run. He’s had 2 desperate runs so far but the day is coming. Being one of JP’s even he would have trouble finding out from Jonjo when the day is until the last minute, but he’s miles better than his recent form suggests and it’s only a matter of time..

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Per Rasen, I will be taking a look at what stands its ground in the Lincolnshire National before deciding on whether it ought to be no, a little or a stonking great bet on Victory Gunner.

The ex-Craig Roberts gelding seems to have taken well to life with Richard Lee (was ever a trainer so adept at keeping lowish-grade chasers sweet and competitive well into teenagerdom?), and as a multiple winner of this race previously it’s not going to be too controversial (merely banal 8) ) to suggest that this year’s renewal will constitute his "Cheltenham". I expect him to be trained to the minute for it.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

shabby
    • Total Posts 638

Grand Crus – Feltham
    Overturn – Christmas Hurdle
    Captain Chris – King George

andymc123
    • Total Posts 6

I would really fancy Folsom Blue if he runs in the maiden hurdle in Limerick on the 29th of December

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6341

Always Right in the Rowland Meyrick Chase at Wetherby.
    Possibly not a bet, but I’ll keep an eye on Gray Hession in the bumper at Leopardstown. (Thanks to Ray Rose for pointing me toward that one)

Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

I lived with charlies son sean until recently (about 2 months ago) when charlie bought a new house in newmarket with a yard attached so it only made sense to sell the house for him to move home (also he is saving to start training) i was told by sean that this was a horse to watch for them, but he never really got his breaks, i remember watching him work as a 2yo with blue maiden who ran in the guineas, he worked well but never got it onto the track properly, I went to the yard a month or so ago to see sean and blue destination was still there having been sold, and if it helps at all he looked very well in himself, and i think this sort of race could bring the best out in him, Best of luck Lee.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Rock on Ruby at 9/4 with Ladbrokes for the Xmas Hurdle at Kempton
    You never know what you’re going to get with Binocular & it could just be a race too much for Overturn, so ROR is the bet for me

All winnings on to Peddlers Cross on the 27th…

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Per Rasen, I will be taking a look at what stands its ground in the Lincolnshire National before deciding on whether it ought to be no, a little or a stonking great bet on Victory Gunner.

The ex-Craig Roberts gelding seems to have taken well to life with Richard Lee (was ever a trainer so adept at keeping lowish-grade chasers sweet and competitive well into teenagerdom?), and as a multiple winner of this race previously it’s not going to be too controversial (merely banal 8) ) to suggest that this year’s renewal will constitute his "Cheltenham". I expect him to be trained to the minute for it.

gc

Turns out it was a no bet on the Lincolnshire National, as Richard Lee re-routed Victory Gunner to a Class 2 handicap at Ffos Las, which he duly landed.

It’s easy to point out that it was a thinly contested race for the grade, and that Swing Bill was nailed to the floor by his big weight in desperate going, but let’s accentuate the positive – the gelding set a new highest winning mark six days before his official 14th birthday, and Richard Lee didn’t let his contretemps with Dai Walters earlier in the autumn dissuade him from opting to execute this outstanding piece of placement.

For all that it wasn’t Market Rasen, I hope enough people still availed themselves of the 100-30 (or 4s when it was still on offer) about the old boy. For his part, the £10,396 first prize was the second biggest of a career which started at the Challow meeting at Newbury back in 2002.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.