The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Beyond Belief…

Home Forums Horse Racing Beyond Belief…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

This isn’t one on racing but hopefully we’re all horse lovers on here so I thought I’d bring this despicable situation to people’s attention.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … =1770&ct=5

How can someone comprehend treating animals like this?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Having read the whole article and being absolutely stunned by the horrendous treatment some of these animals suffered, I found this part the hardest to swallow:

If charged and found guilty Gray could face a six month prison sentence or a £20,000 fine.

Christ! He won’t do that again, will he?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Nor will anyone dare send out lame horses to race on the track when the BHA are issuing £0 fines and 0 month prison sentences.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

http://www.redwings.org.uk/newsrescue86.htm :cry:

I’ve donated to this group for many years, they do an outstanding job. All support needed for the saving of the survivors.

One has to wonder though with the apparent number of complaints to the RSPCA prior to today, why there wasn’t some move made a long time ago. :shock:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

The farm in question is only two miles or so away from my office in Bucks. I’ve already overheard a few people in the bookies next door who feel like driving up there asap and giving Gray and whatever’s left of his family a damn good scragging.

The only real comfort from this episode is that it reads as least as though they’ll be able to save up to around 80 of the remaining emaciated animals from destruction, although that’s clearly going to require a sizeable investment of time and TLC.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Reading this story sickens me and makes me want to cry. These heartless people must be dealt with and punished severely in my opinion. I hope the surviving animals can be saved and found good homes.

Pete

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

Nobody seems to be asking the obvious questions – where did all these horses come from and what was the purpose of having them?

If it’s not a riding school or a training stable, why would 80+ horses be gathered together in one place?

AP

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I’ve read that they were being readied for the horse-meat eaters amongst us.

Colin

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Nobody seems to be asking the obvious questions – where did all these horses come from and what was the purpose of having them?

If it’s not a riding school or a training stable, why would 80+ horses be gathered together in one place?

AP

The article points out that they were bought for £1 each and were meant to be sold on as food.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Sorry Colin, hadn’t noticed you’d already pointed this out, or maybe we posted around the same time.

Mike

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Once a horses value goes below it’s meat value it’s on a slippery slope; better for an owner to have an animal put down perhaps than just sell it on not knowing where it’s going to end up….I thought we were going to ban the export of live horses to the continent; has this not happened?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

AP

Good question AP.
    Another one raised by ITN’s lunchtime news – Why does the racing industry produce 17,000 foals a year, when only 1/3rd of them ever reach the racecourse? And what happens to the rest of them? :shock:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Given that Mr Gray is part of the beloved ‘travelling community’, is there really any point fining him?

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

AP

Good question AP.
    Another one raised by ITN’s lunchtime news – Why does the racing industry produce 17,000 foals a year, when only 1/3rd of them ever reach the racecourse? And what happens to the rest of them? :shock:

Read the Tony Morris article in the latest edition of pacemaker, that will give you a clear indication reet.

JohnJ

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I read (somehwhere :?: ), that the only time he whinged was when his ‘prize thoroughbred’ was taken away, the only horse of significant monetary value.
    Perhaps a racehorse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.