The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Barney Curley

Home Forums Horse Racing Barney Curley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

We all know of Barneys charitable exploits in Africa, but he is not so charitable where us punters are concerned.<br>Once again he is found guilty of a breach of rule 155, and his jockey 157, (Zabeel Palace Notts yesterday).<br>While having not seen the race in question so I cant comment on the rights and wrongs of the punishment.<br>But it is not the first and wont be the last where this guy is concerned. I seem to remember this guy once proclaimed himself the "Punters Pal" the only pal this guy is, is himself and nobody else. I have learned over the years to not to bother backing in races where he has a runner, nobody knows wether his horse is going to drift like a barge or be backed off the board and bolt up on the bridle. I think there should be a more severe punishment for continous breaching of rule 155, say if a trainer is found guilty of the offence say 3 times then ban him from training for a year, might make him think twice then. I for one would be glad to see the back of this guy from racing altogether, as he is a total menace as far as punters are concerned.

(Edited by madman marz at 10:58 am on May 13, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

So he is beyond criticism because he does work for charity ?.

Sting might save the rain forests and Bono might just save the world, but you dont have to like their music, as for Curley I dont like the way he trains horses. Or maybe he is just a loveable old rogue. Not when he was spitting and stuttering and totally losing the run of himself when attacking John Mc Crirrick. JMC showed what a real professional he was by keeping his calm while Curley made a complete idiot of himself.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Has he been done for this many times in the past? I just assumed they turned a blind eye to the non jiggers.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

There is almost a need for two betting markets for races where there is a Curley runner-with it and without it.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Lingfield on 3:21 pm on May 13, 2007[br]There is almost a need for two betting markets for races where there is a Curley runner-with it and without it.

Couldn’t have put it any better Lingfield.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Madman Marz,

Names and dates of these other Rule 155 occasions? <br>

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Smithy on 4:35 pm on May 13, 2007[br]Madman Marz,

Names and dates of these other Rule 155 occasions? <br>

Ah come on smithy there has been numerous over the years dont ask me to remember them.

How about the scam that was Mick Mcgoogle, funny he ran in curleys colours. <br>"Good old Barney the larger then life character who stitches up the bookies once again", but at the same time he stitched up millions of his fellow punters.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Smithy I can’t recall when he was last done under 155 if he ever was, he will probably win an appeal on yesterdays decision

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from bluechariot on 8:01 pm on May 13, 2007[br]Smithy I can’t recall when he was last done under 155 if he ever was, he will probably win an appeal on yesterdays decision

Oh no not another apologist, Barneys philosophy." I’m alright Jack, I’m looking after No 1".  

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Madman

I don’t think anyone on here is a Curley apologist. Merely a case of pointing out that the punishments you suggest in your opening address would not affect Curley as this is the first time (as far as I can remember) he has been found in breach of rule 155.

Your suggestions would merely impinge on the hard working souls like Declan Carroll, who have been found guilty under this rule more than once in the last 12 months.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

MM<br>You make sweeping statements without checking the facts. Mickmacmagoole never ran in Curleys name.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Not saying he’s right or wrong but continual breach of rules should carry severe punishments.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Quote: from madman marz on 8:20 pm on May 13, 2007[br]

Quote: from bluechariot on 8:01 pm on May 13, 2007[br]Smithy I can’t recall when he was last done under 155 if he ever was, he will probably win an appeal on yesterdays decision

Oh no not another apologist, Barneys philosophy." I’m alright Jack, I’m looking after No 1".  

<br>

You should try and comprehend the difference between a Curley apologist and someone who was responding to a factually incorrect bleat.

For what it’s worth, I think it is a shame that a guy who clearly has a talent for training racehorses feels the need to operate in such a manner.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Smithy on 8:41 am on May 14, 2007[br]

Quote: from madman marz on 8:20 pm on May 13, 2007[br]

<br>

You should try and comprehend the difference between a Curley apologist and someone who was responding to a factually incorrect bleat.

For what it’s worth, I think it is a shame that a guy who clearly has a talent for training racehorses feels the need to operate in such a manner.

Ok smithy, I can’t substantiate my claims, but I would bet my bottom dollar that he was in breach of the rule other times in the past. Maybe someone out there has the relevent information.

I see good old Barney is going to appeal, and have another of his now famous/infamous spats with the stewards. If this guy had been operating in say Hong Kong he would have been hunted to extinction by now.

The stewards here are far too lenient. This guy is simply laughing at them.

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

OK, it’s 2001 and it’s not Rule155 but I lend my support to Madman’s sentiments….with so much racing taking place these days, I think we can afford ourselves the luxury of disegarding any race featuring a steed from B Curley esq.

"BARNEY CURLEY was found in breach of the Jockey Club instruction relating to schooling in public yesterday, writes Andrew Scutts. After the stewards had inquired into the running and riding of the Newmarket trainer’s Malakal in the maiden hurdle, Curley was fined pounds 1,200, his amateur jockey Richard Young suspended for seven days, and Malakal banned from racing for 30 days.<br>The gelding, who had been pulled up on his two previous starts over hurdles, finished sixth, beaten approximately 34 lengths, and was deemed to have been tenderly ridden throughout."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.