The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ATR New Look – Booth to be dropped

Home Forums Horse Racing ATR New Look – Booth to be dropped

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Its too much common sense to have the reviews as you suggest Carryonkatie. I noticed on Monday that Luke Harvey was previewing a race at Plumpton, but they were still showing the runners and riders for the previous race at Leicester. It despairs me how bad the channel is nowadays, and like MPs they just don’t get how bad it is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Simon Mapletoft joined Matt Chapman this afternoon to discuss the “great horses” emailed in by viewers in the light of the BHA’s alteration to the historic ratings.

I think I have heard more well informed conversations about racing down my local Corals.

Mapletoft referred to the golden era of hurdlers in the “early” 70s and then said “Bula came a bit later”.

Both referred to Jim Joel’s great Bob Turnell trained chaser Buona Notte as being “before my time” therefore they had nothing meaningful to say about him (he actually won a division of the Gloucestershire Hurdle a year before trouncing his rivals in the Tote Champion Novices’ Chase (RSA Chase).

But worst of all, during a frankly embarrassing programme, neither had ever heard of Exbury, Guy De Rothschild’s Geoff Watson trained 1963 Arc hero (and joint 8th top Timeform rated of all time).

I was born in 1966 and doubt either Chapman or Mapletoft were born much later – the difference is they think racing started when they got into it (incredibly arrogant), a bit like a lot of the people making the key decisions in racing these days.

To cap it off, and making a mockery of their “it was before my time” lame excuses, Chapman advised viewers that Elie Lellouche trained Peintre Celebre, although that wasn’t before both had reembered Solerina but couldn’t remember her more illustrious stablemate Limestone Lad – “before their time” maybe?.

I am happy to accept they were responding to emails but are the backroom team not on hand to give them guidance through their earpieces? But for Chapman to tell one emailer “its not a competition to just send in names of horses and see if we have heard of them” (which was a response to the viewer who emailed in Exbury, exposes Chapman as having a far more shallow knowledge than I have previously given him credit for).
    It is little wonder RUK /Turf TV are running rings around SIS/ATR, and losing Ascot may only be the tip of the iceberg. With SIS today announcing they are to expand their French coverage one imagines more UK courses will move to a channel which actually employs some racing experts rather than highly paid, over inflated guessing egos.

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Simon Mapletoft joined Matt Chapman this afternoon to discuss the “great horses” emailed in by viewers in the light of the BHA’s alteration to the historic ratings.

I think I have heard more well informed conversations about racing down my local Corals.

Mapletoft referred to the golden era of hurdlers in the “early” 70s and then said “Bula came a bit later”.

Both referred to Jim Joel’s great Bob Turnell trained chaser Buona Notte as being “before my time” therefore they had nothing meaningful to say about him (he actually won a division of the Gloucestershire Hurdle a year before trouncing his rivals in the Tote Champion Novices’ Chase (RSA Chase).

But worst of all, during a frankly embarrassing programme, neither had ever heard of Exbury, Guy De Rothschild’s Geoff Watson trained 1963 Arc hero (and joint 8th top Timeform rated of all time).

I was born in 1966 and doubt either Chapman or Mapletoft were born much later – the difference is they think racing started when they got into it (incredibly arrogant), a bit like a lot of the people making the key decisions in racing these days.

To cap it off, and making a mockery of their “it was before my time” lame excuses, Chapman advised viewers that Elie Lellouche trained Peintre Celebre, although that wasn’t before both had reembered Solerina but couldn’t remember her more illustrious stablemate Limestone Lad – “before their time” maybe?.

I am happy to accept they were responding to emails but are the backroom team not on hand to give them guidance through their earpieces? But for Chapman to tell one emailer “its not a competition to just send in names of horses and see if we have heard of them” (which was a response to the viewer who emailed in Exbury, exposes Chapman as having a far more shallow knowledge than I have previously given him credit for).
    It is little wonder RUK /Turf TV are running rings around SIS/ATR, and losing Ascot may only be the tip of the iceberg. With SIS today announcing they are to expand their French coverage one imagines more UK courses will move to a channel which actually employs some racing experts rather than highly paid, over inflated guessing egos.

You come across as a little bitter there, i saw all todays show with Chapman and mabletoft and thought it was excellent.
    My 2 fav. horses Diminuendo and Rainbow Quest never got a mention but i will not go squealling about it.

MoleHorse
    • Total Posts 127

Excellent show today but I thought Simon lacked enthusiasm for the topic maybe it’s just his character? but this show was tailor made for someone like John McCririck who puts his heart and soul into what he felt with recalling his memory of great racehorses and it gives a viewer like me who wasn’t around in those days to understand what it meant for some people.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

You come across as a little bitter there, i saw all todays show with Chapman and mabletoft and thought it was excellent.
    My 2 fav. horses Diminuendo and Rainbow Quest never got a mention but i will not go squealling about it.

With respect I am anything but bitter. I merely expect so called experts to conduct an on-air debate about the relative merits of the great/favourite horses down the years without making glaring errors or exposing gaping gaps in their knowledge. I love a trip down racing’s memory lane as much as the next person – probably more so. It is fortunate for me I am able to spot these errors. Imagine a young newbie racing fan watching this? They would go away thinking Bula was a star of the 80’s and that St Jovite must have been some horse to lower the colours of El Gran Senor.

I am still flicking through the progamme and here is another Chapman classic that just came up: "How did St Jovite ever beat El Gran Senor in the Derby".

If you find that sort of thing "excellent" then you are perfectly entitled to express your opinion. However I expect more from a dedicated racing channel, which is why I am happy to pay £20 per month for RUK. Coincidentally RUK ran a repeat the other night of the excellent 2hr debate "Is Frankel The Greatest?" with Brough Scott and Steve Mellish hosted by Lydia Hislop. To coin Chapman’s overused favourite phrase – "different gravy".

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Ivan ^, you certainly know your stuff and about the El Gran Senor derby defeat, it was one of my first ever bets and i did Secreto at 14/1. lucky me on the day but again memories of certain days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Back on subject (More or less) – Racing Review service continues to get worse and worse…

WEDS:- 9.15 til 10 – Southwell (AW) followed by features
    10.15 til 11 – Folkestone (NH Finishes only) / Fakenham (NH Finishes only).

TODAY:- 9.15 til 10 – Lingfield (AW) – shown twice
    10.15 til 11 – Hexham (NH Finishes only) / Fairyhouse (NH Finishes only).

Rubbish today as well. Second part not started until 10.23 – Lingfield NH races (last two-thirds) shown twice with commentaries cut-off after the finish, but only the finishes at Ffos Las and without a betting or sp graphic.

Of course the all weather rubbish was shown in full!

Tuning in on returning from work I’ve noticed they do sometimes show full replays early on in the Stateside coverage. This is all well and good, but it isn’t advertised so unless you are going to watch ATR continuously (which I guess they want you to do) you will miss it. This won’t last long either with the evenings gradually getting lighter and the UK racing finishing later.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Back on subject (More or less) – Racing Review service continues to get worse and worse…

Rubbish today as well. Second part not started until 10.23 – Lingfield NH races (last two-thirds) shown twice with commentaries cut-off after the finish, but only the finishes at Ffos Las and without a betting or sp graphic.

Tuning in on returning from work I’ve noticed they do sometimes show full replays early on in the Stateside coverage. This is all well and good, but it isn’t advertised so unless you are going to watch ATR continuously (which I guess they want you to do) you will miss it. This won’t last long either with the evenings gradually getting lighter and the UK racing finishing later.

I have it on good authority that the racing replay clips are done by media trained technical people with no horse racing knowledge. Their remit is to squeeze as much of each race to fit the allotted time. Therefore they are not thinking lets show race A in full as its an exciting novice chase with festival clues and only show the closing stages of a 2m AW claimer at Lingfield. Very worrying indeed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

I have it on good authority that the racing replay clips are done by media trained technical people with no horse racing knowledge. Their remit is to squeeze as much of each race to fit the allotted time. Therefore they are not thinking lets show race A in full as its an exciting novice chase with festival clues and only show the closing stages of a 2m AW claimer at Lingfield. Very worrying indeed.

Easily believable that they have no racing knowledge. "Trained" or "technical" is very debatable. I could do a far better job with my VCR (and I do!).

There is no common sense applied some days, as Wednesday morning demonstrated. The fact that nobody checks or cares what is going to be broadcast is shocking. Just because it’s "free" (as long as you have paid for your equipment and basic tv package) doesn’t make it acceptable.

ATR management have to take the blame for ruining the review programme. Do we really need three news bulletins in the morning? Is there anything that is so earth shattering that we desperately need to know it three times? Half the programme is usually looking back at yesterday’s racing anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

"media trained technical people"? Is that a euphamism for school work experience kids allowed to cut and paste in the editing suite.

ATR employee to Techkie Kid – "Right, make sure you show all the races on the brown stuff and if you have any room left, stick in a bit of the green stuff".

The way things are progressing, they might only have the "brown stuff" left in a few years.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

ATR employee to Techkie Kid – "Right, make sure you show all the races on the brown stuff".

The way things are progressing, they might only have the "brown stuff" left in a few years.

I’m sure our colleague Ricky Lake would see "brown stuff" as an apt euphemism for most of ATR’s racing coverage. :lol:

It certainly might be a euphemism for his usual description of the all-weather dominated action on ATR as "dross".

Can’t believe ATR still haven’t heeded criticism of the racing replays situation and adjusted the schedules to fit them in properly.

A few days ago, I was going to write in defence of Mick Fitzgerald after the heavy criticism of him on the Channel 4 thread.

Then, the other day, when I was at last watching a recording of the ATR coverage of the Sussex National meeting at Plumpton on January 6, I changed my mind when I heard Fitzgerald manage to out-do even Matt Chapman.

I’m still shaking my head in disbelief that, when he was handing over to commentator John Hunt, Fitzgerald managed to reach a new low in the cringeworthy stakes by telling viewers "We’re blessed with greatness today" because it was John Hunt commentating. :roll:

He managed to leave it so late to pay his effusive praise that when he finally said "good afternoon, John", his words crashed into those of Hunt, who was already beginning his commentary for the course, and there was no time for an embarrassed response from the great man.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Cheers Crusty , I just wonder if more people see ATR for what it is, and begin to think " do you really get quality broadcasting from it

Personally I look forward to its closure , but I can see from this outpost the support is waning if indeed only a little

imo

Ricky

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Mike Cattermole is sounding thoroughly fed up and down-in-the-mouth anchoring the ATR coverage today.

Monotone, ponderous, uninterested and struggling to keep awake, by the sound of it.

Mind you, with the delights of Wolverhampton, Cagnes-sur-Mer and viewers’ emails to entertain him and both viewers, it’s not entirely unexpected, I have to say.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Mike Cattermole is sounding thoroughly fed up and down-in-the-mouth anchoring the ATR coverage today.

Monotone, ponderous, uninterested and struggling to keep awake, by the sound of it.

Mind you, with the delights of Wolverhampton, Cagnes-sur-Mer and viewers’ emails to entertain him and both viewers, it’s not entirely unexpected, I have to say.

I’ve quite liked the laid back and relaxed approach this afternoon CrustyPatch :oops:
    Preferable for me to some raving looney shouting and bawling all afternoon and insulting every other emailer by telling them they are talking rubbish. The lack of racing is bad enough without being depressed even further by Coco performing.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

I’ve quite liked the laid back and relaxed approach this afternoon CrustyPatch :oops:
    Preferable for me to some raving looney shouting and bawling all afternoon and insulting every other emailer by telling them they are talking rubbish. The lack of racing is bad enough without being depressed even further by Coco performing.

That’s a very good point actually, Yeats.

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Anything is better than Matt Chapman’s antics.

I’ve always liked Mike Cattermole for his professionalism. His laidback approach is definitely easier on the ear.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Watched the review today and saw that they’ve actually got the win, place and show prices up on the graphics now. And they’ve changed them a bit too.

Pity they continue to refuse to change the whole morning sequence back to the way it was. :x

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Watched the review today and saw that they’ve actually got the win, place and show prices up on the graphics now. And they’ve changed them a bit too.

Pity they continue to refuse to change the whole morning sequence back to the way it was. :x

These graphics are a lot better, much clearer. At last some improvement from ATR.

Totally agree that the Review needs returning to it’s previous format. Watch out, on Saturday 16th ATR have six meetings, so I would expect two meetings won’t get shown at all in the review on Sunday morning (no doubt the two flat aw meetings will be shown though!)

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.