The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

All-Time Winningest Jockey

Home Forums Archive Topics All-Time Winningest Jockey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BadactorBadactor
    • Total Posts 129

Going into today… <br>Russell Baze only needs <u>ONE</u> win <br>to tie the great Laffit Pincay, Jr.

PINCAY ~ 9,530<br>BAZE ~ 9,529

…and 2 more wins to become the all-time leader!

<br>Today’s Entries @ Bay Meadows:<br>http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbRaceEntriesDisplay.cfm?TRK=BM&CY=USA&DATE=11/30/2006&STYLE=EQB

Live video is available @ the Cal-Racing website:<br>http://www.calracing.com/video.php?PHPSESSID=1d5b5f03789f2dfbd249ec5d94b7ad7e

As they say… RECORDS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN.

OK… but I do know this: <br>Were it not for the reckless riding<br>of Tony "The Rat" Farina…<br>Pincay (my Sports Hero) would never have fallen.<br>AND…If Pincay’s body were not broken,<br>he would still be riding and racking up the winners!

"There’s a fire inside of me… and I don’t know how to put it out." ~ Laffit Pincay, Jr.<br> <br>No matter what the numbers are, <br>and no matter if Russell breaks the record today <br>or tomorrow or ever,<br>Laffit Pincay is still the greatest jockey to ever ride <br>a thoroughbred race horse.<br>(…with your Mr. Dettori, a very close 2nd, imho! ;) )

Dell Yount<br>UpInClass Racing Forum (USA)<br>www.upinclass.com

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Pincay might be up there Badactor but I think a few of us on this side of the pond would put a certain Mr. L.Piggott out on his own.

Good luck to Russell Baze today/night. Fantastic achievement.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4578

A great jockey……..but a thread title that made me cringe. WINNINGEST? AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Rob

BadactorBadactor
    • Total Posts 129

http://www.bartleby.com/61/90/W0179000.html<br>The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000. <br>  <br>winningest <br>  <br>SYLLABICATION: win·ning·est

ADJECTIVE: Informal <br>More successful or winning more often than any others of its kind: “It was one of America’s winningest days for womenâ€ÂÂ

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

“It was one of America’s winningest days for womenâ€ÂÂ

BadactorBadactor
    • Total Posts 129

cormack,<br>thank you for the lead on Mr. Piggot!<br>I was unfamiliar with this outstanding jockey,<br>and your post caused me to do some research…<br>always enjoyable learning more about this sport!<br>http://www.jockeysroom.com/itm00138.htm<br>Top Notch… all the way! :)

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Ah Badactor – having been unfamiliar with Lester I beseech you to get your hands on one of his DVDs (you can buy one in the TRF Xmas store – icon on your left – make sure it’s suitable for your region though) and then sit back and watch a true genius at work.

In the twilight of his career he did win one of your new-fangled Breeders Cups and also took a bad spill in another.

BadactorBadactor
    • Total Posts 129

Mr. Baze has just tied my Sports Hero’s All-Time Winning Record.

Ah well… time and tide, you know.<br>It takes it’s toll upon us all. I’m a bit sad over this…<br>the passing of time… getting older… it’s cold in California.<br>My bones are chilled and I’m feelin’ a might older this afternoon.

As a kid, I remember watching Laffit from the rail.<br>A magnificent sight to behold, as he would WILL his mounts<br>into contention and powerfully guide his runners to the wire.<br>He was glorious to watch… and I still miss seeing him ride.<br>"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?" <br>…for me it was Laffit Pincay, Jr.

Oh well, there’s no crying in Horse Racing!!! (lol)<br>(I’m done groussing now. Thanks for listening.)

CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Russell Baze!

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

lol Trackside – at 3.97!!!

If I was doing that I’d be telling him Paul Haigh was the greatest jockey ever and encouraging him to buy his book!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I read McCoy’s a couple of years back and from what I can remember it was a fairly good read. His story of standing at the bathroom door some mornings crying because he had to go in and waste in the bath for a couple of hours is an indication of what these guys go through to make the weights they have to ride at.

I’m hopefully getting Timmy Murphy’s for Christmas from Santa/wife and from the extracts printed in the Sunday Indo it could be OK (provided all the best bits have not already been published).

An excellent non-horse-racing book out at the moment is Paul McGrath’s autobiography "Back From the Brink" which was fascinating and gives a bit of background to his well-publicised battle with the booze.

And trackside if you’re looking for DVD this Christmas, look no further than here:biggrin:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

"Winningmost" is a variant I’ve heard, Badactor.

But are you really a ham? If you want to see the ultimate in hamming it up, watch Olivier in his dying Richard III. Beat that if you can!

Incidentally, I think Lester was one of our best ever jockeys, but truth to tell, I don’t think he would have been so special in the US. I suspect jockeys of his brilliance have not been that rare at all in the US.

I remember the great Vincent O’Brien, the Wizard of Cashel, bringing over Raul Baeza to ride Roberto in the Derby, beause of his exceptional sense of pace.

It’s generally agreed, I believe, over here, that without him in the saddle, Rheingold the narrow loser would have prevailed. I don’t know where Lester was at the time. Perhaps detained elsewhere.<br>

(Edited by Grimes at 8:58 pm on Dec. 1, 2006)

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Braulio Baeza came over to win the Benson & Hedges Gold Cup on Roberto.

Lester had already won the Derby on him.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

Thanks. I’d have sworn his name was reported as Raul in the papers, too.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

In fact Bill Williamson was due to ride Roberto in the Derby but, after a spill at Kempton 10 days before the big one, connections did not want to risk him not being 100% and, somewhat controversially, Piggott, who had been , er, waiting in the wings, was booked.

In the event it proved a fantastic decision and rather than Piggott being elsewhere that day he carried Roberto over the line to beat the subsequent Arc winner by the shortest of margins. Whether Williamson would have won is a moot point, one we can never prove either way, but, to the delight of the assembled masses who were sympathetic to his plight, he proved his fitness by winning two of the other events on the Derby card.

As a footnote Piggott’s aggressive handling of Roberto on that Derby Day was described by Timeform as a ‘hiding’.

Roberto then ran poorly in Ireland and Piggott, his burning desire to win overcoming any sense of loyalty, deserted him in the Benson and Hedges Gold Cup, preferring to partner Rheingold , who had run well in France in the interim.

John Galbreath, Roberto’s owner, spurned by Piggott, then turned, somewhat ironically, to Williamson, who turned the ride down. It was then that Galbreath engaged the Panamanian, Baeza.

There is no question that Baeza rode a brilliant race, dictating throughout and ensuring that any chinks in Brigadier Gerard’s armour would be exposed, as proved to be the case. Rheingold ran dismally.

There was a happy enough ending for Piggott when he renewed his association with Rheingold in the Arc and, after fifteen previous attempts, finally won it.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

Just to complete my embarrassment, I somehow managed to conflate Piggot’s feat in the Derby with Baeza’s in the Benson and Hedges.

When you consider the point I was trying to make… well, actually, it’s now difficult to know what it was…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.