The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Aintree seating

Home Forums Horse Racing Aintree seating

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    domcalder
    • Total Posts 1

I have never been to Aintree before but am keen to take my two children (aged 8 and 11) there next year. I have been informed that all seating apart from West Tip enclosure has gone, but that the West Tip seats are not that close to most of the racing. What would be my best options for proximity, seeing as many jumps as possible and / or having a decent vantage point where we can watch more of the race with binoculars? The lady on the phone said I shouldn’t worry because there are plenty of bars and viewing screens everywhere, but if that’s the best option for me I might as well watch it in a pub where I live!

RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

Aintree is a massive place so wherever you sit, you’re not going to see all.

I was sat in the grandstands in the 89 national and could only see the start and finishes of the race, and now after the 97 bomb hoax do they let people on the inside of the course.

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I have never been to Aintree before but am keen to take my two children (aged 8 and 11) there next year. I have been informed that all seating apart from West Tip enclosure has gone, but that the West Tip seats are not that close to most of the racing. What would be my best options for proximity, seeing as many jumps as possible and / or having a decent vantage point where we can watch more of the race with binoculars? The lady on the phone said I shouldn’t worry because there are plenty of bars and viewing screens everywhere, but if that’s the best option for me I might as well watch it in a pub where I live!

I’m presuming you are looking to go on Grand National day as I’d be amazed if all the tickets had gone already for the Thursday and the Friday of the National meeting.

It would be well worth considering going on one of those days, though as it won’t be quite as packed and hopefully you would then be able to get a decent view.

We always used to go on the Thursday on the Queen Mother stand roof but the County Stand roof is good as well. It isn’t seated but it provides the best view.

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

The lady on the phone was right.

If you want your children to experience the race at all then use the couple of hundred pound (minimum) that it will cost you for tickets, travel, food & drink etc. to pop down to your local an hour or so before race time (about 3:00 these days) and entice back any young lads and lasses that you detect may have been in there for the duration.

Have them stand in front of your TV, vociferously riding home their selection (and quite possibly each other) while your children attempt to spot their horse – blissfully unaware of the fact that it fell at the remodeled Becher’s as the commentator they can’t hear failed to mention it.

Actually I’m being harsh on the Aintree experience but knowing what I know now I would have hated as a child, to have missed it on the TV having been replaced by a live attendance.

I’ve been twice in the last 3 years and have loved both experiences but I went with a bunch of blokes and while it’s great for that it’s not what I would choose for a family day of racing. I even had my stag do there and I think that says it all – about both the venue and me personally to be fair.

and I wasn’t joking about the viewing. It’s pretty terrible – regardless of your location and you’ll be lucky to see or hear much at all.

Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.