The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A Day At The Races

Home Forums Lounge A Day At The Races

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 666 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

Hexham’s website has a link to this YouTube clip of some Pathe newsreel footage of a Hexham meeting in the early 1920s:

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 531

Did you spot any forumites in the video?

As Richard88 said many touts at Cheltenham Tuesday, but on Wednesday only saw one.
    My feeling was that Tuesday was busier than Wednesday.
    Only the one Guinness per day for me at £7.50, from memory, all other beers on tap were the same price.
    Price of a pasty £8 ish..Large Sausage Roll £5.50, Coffee £4.

Punting was good Tuesday, Slade Steel, Classico Chianti E/W Twig and Famous Bridge. Another place for Tellmesomethinggirl.
    Wednesday Punts were not many, Ballyburn, was my only on course winner. Was happy to watch Fact to File win as I sure this was his race from October, backed at 20’s and 14’s.
    Wednesday has always been the day since the 90’s when a group of friends and I would go, now its just me as a few have passed on. From a punting view, its not very good. Small fields in 3 races, Cross Country, which I dont like and the Bumper, which in which I have never ever had the winner on course Its a bit like a two year old Novice, with rumours and not much to go on.

Last year I attended Tues, Weds and Thurs. Next year will be Tues and Thursday. As mentioned in previous threads, I am lucky enough to be able to accrue enough on R4R via work to pay for it. Would I go two days if it was my own money. Probably not.

These days I drive to the track as, its 60 odd miles. One year I tried the train, change at Birmingham to Cheltenham. Never again..thousands of folks being held in pens for trains. That year I was talking to someone on track who also attempted the trains, they jumped ship at Birmingham and took at Taxi to the races.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

The idea of being on a packed and noisy train to Cheltenham makes zero appeal.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 531

One never knows, until one tries it..

Participant
    • Total Posts 31537

Train is awful. I was up in the baggage holding one year when a fight broke out and all the standing people in the carriage went down like dominos.
    I always drive when going. Get up there early to beat traffic. Park in town away from the course. Afterwards take my time, have a decent meal, find a pub to watch the football then drive home when the traffic has cleared
    I wouldn’t go at all without the free tick from R4R

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

One appealing feature of Hexham is the distinctive hedges at the side of the fences. Although I expect the horses and riders in this clip didn’t appreciate them much:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2779

Hoping to get to Perth for the first time next month. Any views/advice please? Sorry if it’s already been discussed. I am too lazy to scroll through 600 odd posts!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

I have only been to Perth once, about 15 years ago. It is a nice track – I am sure you will have a good day there.

I went to the last meeting of the year, towards the end of September. The crowd was OK, as I expect it will be in April. The summer meetings look like they get quite crowded and noisy.

If you are travelling by public transport: the course is some way out from the city. Buses run from the city centre, from outside the town hall if memory serves. When I visited, it was two old vintage buses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2779

Thanks CAS

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 531

Just received this email from Cheltenham Racecourse:

Following the wettest February on record, our car parks at the Cheltenham Festival were extremely wet. We are aware that for some of our customers this resulted in vehicles getting stuck and requiring assistance from our racecourse team.
    While a huge amount of work and planning took place to try to ensure the inconvenience for our customers was limited, please accept our sincere apologies that the experience for some was not to the level that we would have liked.
    Therefore, we would like to offer all racegoers who purchased a car parking pass for The Festival a complimentary admission ticket to Saturday 26th October at The Showcase meeting.

Not having any parking issues personally, I wonder if having paid for two days parking, I’ll now receive two tickets..

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 531

So as an update to the above post, they sent me just one ticket..
    Ill go back to them and ask the question…why not two.

Participant
    • Total Posts 12825

Still waiting on mine Landafar. Everything takes longer going to
    or from Dunoon, Dunno why :unsure:

I’d be interested in their response Landafar, just wondering how
    politely they can say F Off B-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 12825

Just on the ticket thing Landafar, if two of you are likely
    to be going, I won’t manage down, so if you could do with
    another one send me a pm with you postal address and I’ll
    send on my ticket to you :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

Aintree tomorrow night is only £13.50 if you book online.

It is only a moderate card but well done to Aintree for pricing it properly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5671

Blob’s standout thread in my distorted view, not forgetting Dictators, and he would certainly watch the pennies to keep his racing affordable so think he is approving of any reasonable pricing. 29 Points to points doesn’t come cheap…

I will unusually rekindle his magic and passion with a blast from the past and one of his back numbers…

” I drove down the Melling Road back in the 1990s and it was a great experience, especially for someone who had Aintree burned into their consciousness from watching all those Grand National meeting on TV in childhood.

A phalanx of terraced houses which suddenly ended as I drove over the Grand National course on its approach to the first, cut through the middle of it with the Mildmay course to the left, and across it again and off into the wild blue yonder after that.

It was so brilliant I had to go back and do it again!”

Participant
    • Total Posts 5671

Not much value to be found at Lingfield last evening. A damp car park as a slow getaway from a miserable six measly races, with one stuffed full of newbies.
    A twelve carded Churchill Downs would die of apoplectic shock 😲

Participant
    • Total Posts 5671

Weekend fayre

‘Afternoon midweek racing is infinitely preferable – much more civilised.’

An itinerant racing scribe wrote the piece above and I can’t disagree with a word of his oft quoted nail on the head iteration. Pot bellies beer bellies,pushers,shovers,red nickers, picnickers, whippersnappers and sprogs, estate agents bankers and wannabe happy campers for the large part avoided.

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 666 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.