2yo summary thread 2018

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks 2yo summary thread 2018

This topic contains 263 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Nathan Hughes Nathan Hughes 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I see The Paddocks is 33’s for the Coventry. I’d say 6f is his distance for now and Hannon has said they will keep him back for Royal Ascot in mind

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

If Gosden thinks he’ll get a mile I would be confident. He looked today that he would have won had it been 7F and it’s clear that he’s not a trailblazer. He put distance between himself and the runner-up in the closing stages today, which I much prefer to see than horses who blaze from the start and win the race there.

I have him over 90 already and that’s a good start. If he wins the Coventry I doubt he will be any bigger than 8/1 for next year’s Guineas.

People will say 20/1 now for that race is ridiculous but it’s a one way street with these bets and people dismissing such odds are sometimes clambering to find much shorter odds later.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Yes, just read the Gosden comments
    The dam’s side of the pedigree has more stamina and the way he won the race was encouraging as it’s not as if he started at 5f. Scat Daddy hasn’t got a flood of decent milers as offspring but you can get exceptions from all stallions
    I’m not totally convinced as yet as it’s early days and plenty of horses to hit the track but can afford a few quid to bet365 for the guineas especially being 20’s not much to lose and 20x the stake if proving the next Kingman. How that one never won the guineas is still a mystery.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

If Legends Of War wins the Coventry he will be 8/1 at best for the Guineas.

Maybe some other firms will offer odds soon.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Cape Of Good Hope makes his debut at Leopardstown this evening, in what seems the first 7F race of the season for 2YOs.

Betting is tight between him and Ger Lyons’ California Daddy, who ran behind Van Beethoven last time. Both are about 7/4 in a race where the remainder are a fair bit bigger odds.

Although Ger’s son of Scat Daddy has the advantage of a run, he was beaten more than 3 lengths by Van Beethoven and it’s a guessing game where Cape Of Good Hope, the full brother to Highland Reel, sits compared to Van Beethoven.

Just a race to watch but a win for Cape Of Good Hope will surely see quotes for big races next year.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Just Wonderful looks full of promise. The majority of the O’Brien 2y/o’s have need the debut run and this drifted out in the market. travelled well and look it up long enough out. Was green late on bumping into the rail before drifting towards the middle of the course. Will improve alot for the run and will have no problems stepping up in trip. I’d imagine she’ll turn up at Royal Ascot

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

O’Brien saying Albany for Just Wonderful
    Dansli out of Wading
    I remember backing Wading for her 1000 guineas Ante Post and she seemed to disappear off the face of the world.. :scratch:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

Any views on Bold Approach guys and other 2yos seen at weekend

Steve any early views on any Wesley Ward 2yos might come over to Ascot.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Cape Of Good Hope made a moderate debut in 7th but he’s a late foal with the wrong sort of pedigree to be tearing trees up this season. I’d like to have seen a little more from him and I am a bit surprised he was out this soon, given that he only turned 2YO three weeks ago.

Mark Johnston had a nice winner with Natalie’s Joy at Goodwood. The daughter of Lope De Vega came home six lengths clear and recorded a good figure of 90 on Topspeed. I don’t have her RPR yet but I expect it to be decent. The winning jockey hinted that Royal Ascot was next for the filly.

I didn’t see Bold Approach yet and will catch up on him later.

The Wesley Ward horses have been hard to track down replays on. I read that at the Keeneland meeting that launched Lady Aurelia, Ward saw his first two youngster’s beat but that he went on to land every one of the other TEN 2YO races at the meeting. It’s bad enough just trying to find the results for these races, never
    mind the replays but I’ll keep an eye out.

Some of Wesley’s winners were:-

Mucho Amor
    Stillwater Cove
    Shang Shang Shang
    What The Luck

It was stated that some of these early season runners may go to Royal Ascot.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Pride Of Brittany made an easy winning start for Jean-Claude Rouget at Saint-Cloud today.

The daughter of Invincible Spirit was soon at the head of affairs and coming into the closing stages she was going best out in front. She soon established a winning lead and was merely pushed out to win slightly eased down by two and a half lengths.

Sent off a 14/5 Fav backers never had a moment’s concern and she looked above average to my eyes at the 6F trip. Worth keeping an eye on.

Race replay:-

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/race-replays/2/3239/

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Clive Cox’s Heartwarming makes her debut at Nottingham Wed 30th May. Related to Heartache, the Showcasing filly is well tipped up tomorrow and can be backed at 7/2 behind the narrow favourite Capla Rock, who is the filly who shares the tips for the race after her debut 3rd at the track. The rating of 74 she obtained then may need to be improved up to score this time.

Heartwarming probably needs to score here to follow her relation to Royal Ascot.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Heartwarming is the one for money. Generally 7/4 now from 7/2 so it looks like there is confidence behind her.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Heartwarming a Non runner after the rains.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Calyx (son of Kingman) looked pretty smart just now at Newmarket. Looked a bit awkward with his head carriage but was speedy enough on debut, cruising up to a previous winner before putting the race to bed within a matter of strides. Reckon a noseband will be fitted not before too long.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Terrific start for Calyx and he beat a RPR rated 80 into second by 5 lengths.

Gosden clearly has two very much above average colts in Legends Of War and Calyx already this season. Both horses look Group material.

Calyx must have scope to do a good bit better than this after running with his head to one side and he travelled strongly through the line, suggesting he’ll have no problems with 7F.

I was impressed enough to take 25/1 with Ladbrokes for next year’s 2000 Guineas. I can see him lining up for the Dewhurst this season and it will take some showing to make a bigger impression than this fine looking colt from a sire who was imperious himself.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 264 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.