2019 Gold Cup

Home Forums Cheltenham 2019 2019 Gold Cup

Tagged: 

This topic contains 246 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by MarkTT MarkTT 8 hours, 33 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Lemons68
    Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 279

Road To Respect At 12-1 looks a fair price at this stage. If this dry winter continues, that can only be in his favour.

I also like Clan Des Obeaux At 10-1, that was a great performance in the King George.

I haven’t bet either of them yet, I will wait till nearer the time.

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Desperately seeking Presenting Percy.

Had 6 races before running at cheltenham festival 2017.

Had 5 races before running at cheltenham festival 2018.

Is this horse even going to turn up this year?

That’s 50/50 I would say.

Only had 5 chase runs, hasn’t been allowed to develop this season and has a distinct lack of experience going into one of the hottest gold cups for the last 10 years.
    Even if he gets his one chase run round Gowran park against trees before the gold cup he is basically still a novice with just 6 chase starts.

Fair play to percy he was very forward compared to the other novices last year in the RSA but the other horses have now developed, progressed and are ready to come of age in March.

I dont think this will turn up but if he does then he will struggle.

Only 1 novice has won this race in last half century and that was coneygree.
    Lack of experience and development makes percy look one of the worsey priced horses in gold cup history。

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1957

Percy isnt a novice potato…

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

I know that Percy isn’t a novice?

My point is most novices have more experience than this horse.

Call him by whatever title you want to officially call him by but ultimately he is a horse who has had 5 chase starts at novice level.

The reasons why novices almost never win the gold cup is because they lack the chasing experience that is needed to win this race.

Whatever title you want to give to percy he lacks chasing experience and history shows that those who lack experience struggle in this race.

So basically Presenting Percy is a novice in all but name was the point that flew over your head ham. :good:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 620

Presenting Percy is a machine he will be fine.

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Yes a washing machine.

He will take elegant escape for a SPIN then the legend will show him a CLEAN pair of heels as he says bye bye :bye:

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

Just been watching Master Oats 1995 gold cup win and it was quite a performance. This must have been the first cheltenham festival I had interest in as I remember it because of Viking Flagship winning.

This horse had never won a grade 1 race, this was in fact his first run in grade 1 company in the biggest race of all. He had just 3 races that season prior to winning the gold cup and his last run before this stunning victory was winning the welsh national carrying a big weight.
    Doesnt he look good wearing black and yellow silks.
    The most improved horse in training that year.

Now let’s see what happened ;-)

https://youtu.be/F-8OvcBbs28

:yes: :yes: :yes:

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

It’s likely that Native River and Clan Des Obeaux will run in the denman chase.
    I probably now consider Clan Des Obeaux as the main danger to Elegant Escape in the gold cup and would expect Clan Des Obeaux to again beat Native River.

If that happens then will native river even bother turning up in the gold cup on the back of 3 defeats?

Presenting Percy will soon be double figure odds on the exchange unless he appears from his hiding hole and impresses very soon.

Looks very plausible that Clan Des Obeaux will soon be favourite for this race.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2427

If EE wins, it will be the worst Gold Cup in living memory

Like having Harbour Pilot win it

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

What a bizarre comment?

Presenting Percy-Current RSA Champion
    Native River-Current Gold Cup Winner
    Clan Des Obeaux-Current king George Winner
    Thistlecrack-Ex World Hurdle winner, King George winner and numerous grade 1 winner
    Might Bite-Ex RSA and King George winner, last years 2nd in gold cup
    Kemboy-Current Lexus winner
    Road To Respect-Ex Lexus winner and multiple grade 1 winner
    Sizing John- Ex gold cup winner
    Bristol De Mai- Multiple grade 1 winner

Plus grade 1 winning chasers Bellshill, Balko Des Flos

As well as possibly other grade 1 winning chasers who may or may not turn up.

On what basis would this be a weak gold cup if Elegant Escape won it?

Feel free to let the team know. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1957

What hes saying potato is that if EE won almost everything would have to underperform, aka he is not good enough to win a gold cup. So if he did somethings went wrong with everything else.

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

So just to clarify
    it was definitely going to run in the 4 mile
    It definitely wasn’t going to run in the rsa
    It had no chance of placing in the RSA
    It was a substandard RSA
    It isnt good enough to run in the gold cup
    No chance it will run in the gold cup
    If it’s a really poor gold cup he may steal 3rd place
    If he wins the gold cup it’s one of the worst gold cups of all time.

:scratch: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

potato
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

In one corner we have a man who holds 100% faith. That faith never waivers and he remains always consistent in belief and conviction. He could make excuses or create hiding places but he chooses not to. If the unthinkable happened and EE didnt win the gold cup then I am big enough to say I was wrong. I wont accept the ground as being excuse should EE get beat as I believe he will become the greatest chaser of all time and a great one can still win despite the ground.

In the other corner we have some children who make outlandish statements on what cannot happen yet when it looks like it may happen they consistently change the goalposts in a desperate attempt to save face should it actually happen which they now realise it may.

I make it clear and leave myself nowhere to hide.

The usual suspects keep on making new angles in an attempt to cover themselves and give themselves something to hide behind should EE win.

These types are normal on racing forums.

WHEN POTATO CAME TO TOWN
    THEY ALL ASSUMED THEY WERE DEALING WITH A CLOWN
    THE LITTLE GANGS TEAMED UP AND HAD A POP
    BUT 18 MONTHS LATER THE SPUDS ON TOP
    THEY ALL ASSUMED THE CLOWN WOULD FALL
    BUT 2 MONTHS TO GO AND I STILL STAND TALL
    THEY SAY THAT ELLY ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN
    4 GOLD CUPS LATER THAT THOUGHTS IN THE BIN
    THERES NO NEED TO STOP AND REWIND THE TAPE
    THE GOLD CUP WINNER WAS ELEGANT ESCAPE

THE TRAIN REMAINS PERFECTLY ON TRACK
    NEXT STOP GOLD CUP WINNERS ENCLOSURE

IN ELEGANT ESCAPE
    WE TRUST

:rose: :rose:
    :heart: :heart:

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 186

I agree with Potato, if all those horses turn up and Elegant Escape beats them then we would have to say we all, other than Potato, under-estimated him. It would be very difficult to argue that every other horse under-performed. I think it’s lining up to be one of the strongest Gold Cups in years. I just hope they all turn up (and that Might Bite wins)

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1025

“He had just 3 races that season prior to winning the gold cup and his last run before this stunning victory was winning the welsh national carrying a big weight.”

Not quite right, Potato. Master Oats won the Pillar Property Chase (the Cotswold Chase these days) in between his Welsh National and Gold Cup wins.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 247 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.