The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 599 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9450

@Jack
    Difficult to really know what he could be capable of but he’s unbeaten in his only two starts and definitely will get the distance and go on tbe ground.

In his maiden last year at Newmarket on the July Course he was the greenest horse in the race .. slowly away, hanging right, wandering and he still won by 3 lengths staying on strongly.

His 2nd race was at Deauville on soft going and Listed, he was again a bit slow to start but won a hard fought battle against Duke Of Hazzard.

He has to step up to win this but surely must have been showing Charlie Appleby something special on the gallops to supplement him back into this race. :good: Jac

Just rang Paddy Power regarding my Ante Post on Al Hilalee at 33/1 and it does stand..I backed him £10 to WIN so no pressure ;-)

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 628

I’m not sure Charlie Appleby’s 3year olds are that forward at the moment, not sure what’s going on there. According to the racing post CA stable tour, Al Hilalee was supposed to run at the Craven meeting and then step up to the Dante as a plan and Line of Duty was going to run in the 2000 Guineas as a trial for the Derby. That was in early April, so now no Line of Duty and Al Hilalee is running in the Guineas as a trial for the derby, so thats a change of plan and seems a bit fanciful coming in of an RPR of 101.

Be interesting to see how he goes and whether he has just been showing a lot of speed or whether it’s a bit of an afterthought because something happened to Line of Duty.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9450

I understand what you’re saying Frenchy and it could well be the case however, as you know you only get one shot at the Guineas so why not give it a go. He has spent the whole winter in Dubai and is reportedly in good spirits, who wouldn’t be :whistle:

To say that Charlie Appleby’s three year old’s are not that forward is a difficult call considering every horse will progress at its own pace, some more forward than others. He wouldn’t want them all to be peaking at the same time and will only bring out those that are showing early promise which is why this entry has been made. Like Masar last season who ran third to Saxon Warrior and went on to win the Derby, I expect Godolphin have a similar plan in mind with Al Hilalee. They have to take that chance.

Looking forward to being there over the weekend and seeing how he copes with a big crowd and the preliminaries for the biggest race of his career. :good: Jac

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 628

A horse with a previous race RPR of 101 would surely take in a trial though first plus his plan was craven meeting/Dante early April. It’s not a usual plan there going on and I’d be really surprised if he troubled the first 3. They clearly rate him though, so he’s one too watch after, plus you’re on at 33s, can’t complain!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1469

Ive got this race covered. Magna Grecia 5-1 and Skardu 25-1. The rest playing for minor honours ;-)

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 628

Skardu has the profile to win, but that Craven form looks well suspect. The 2nd didn’t get a clear run, the 3rd looked like the winner until he faded probably because of fitness rather than stamina, the 4th pulled way too hard at the start and lost all chance and the 5th was upset in the stalls and surely he’s a lot better than that. 112 is only 1 better than the worst winning RRP in over 10 years and no Craven winner has finished in the first 2 of the Guineas in that time either. He might be worth a saver if he continues to drift a bit, but otherwise I’m not convinced at all. I also think he might struggle in a more strongly run 8F as well.

@ 25/1 though Mike, I assume you got on before the Craven, so definitely be happy with those odds!

I’m getting more confused about AOBs tactics. The Trophy stakes was run at a pretty fast pace actually, with the AOB front 2 going off way in front which suited Magna Grecia actually in the end, but that won’t suit Ten Sovereigns if it’s too quick, so what will they try and do?

newyork1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 47

Ballydoyle are only running MG and TS in this

viktors89viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 337

Calyx is special.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1418

Indeed he is

But hes a sprinter all day long for me

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 628

Wow Calyx! Made my thoughts look stupid!! Haha. Could be in for a mouth watering Calyx v Ten Sovereigns Commonwealth Cup. OMG how good would that be!! :-) :-) The season started today I feel!!

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2303

https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/sectional-spotlight/02-May-2019

Interesting analysis as always by Simon. This time on Calyx.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9450

Very intetesting article Jack :good: and looks like Gosden did make the right decision for Calyx.
    It seems that sectional timings and the like are a very good way to work out a race, however who apart from the experts has the time to do this and when they do the horse will no doubt go off favourite so the value has gone (sounding like Ginger here) :whistle:

As far as the 2000 Guineas goes I’ll be backig my two horses on what I have seen and if they are progressing.
    Who knows how much a horse like Set Piece will improve for his run behind Skardu and you can still get around 20/1 for him. Al Hilalee is another unknown quantity being unbeaten who knows what time he will turn in on the day.

My way of picking out horses is extremely hit and miss I know but when it comes good its a great feeling knowing that I didn’t follow any tipsters or hype from the betting sites just base selections on a horse being progressive, winning with plenty in hand and what type of ground they prefer. My one downfall is that apart from Gleneagles and Camelot I always want to take on Aiden O’Brien but this year if he looks good in the paddock I’m having a saver on Magna Grecia. :good: as I think my two choices could be filling tbe places on Saturday if he puts his best hoof forward..best of luck Jack :good: Jac

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2303

Yeah times and sectionals are interesting, i like to read on them, but wouldn’t often time things myself (have done it a few times but for interest only).

I quite like Great Scot in the 2000G am i mad??

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9450

In the absence of Mohaather not mad at all Jack, he’s proven over the distance and should handle the uphill finish.
    A strong pace should be set by Kick On and Shine So Bright who will hopefully take each other on and set it up nicely for a strong finisher off the pace. :good:

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1221

Very happy that the ground is looking quick for Madhmoon. He’s got the dip to combat and the potential traffic issues with 18 others but i really like this lads chance.

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 599 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.