The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1000 Guineas 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 1000 Guineas 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

cheers steve,agree with you dont think the Nell Gwyn form will be up to winning the 1000.Just wonder if they will now bring Ervedya over,but i think thats wishful thinking on my part,with my 20s voucher.lol

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Anyone heard anything about Cursory Glance? Just noticed she isn’t in the betting for the Guineas.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

I found this dated March 25th

Had a fetlock injury not ruled Cursory Glance out for the early part of the season then Varian would be heading into the campaign with a live candidate for the 1000 Guineas too.

While the winner of last year’s Moyglare Stud Stakes has seen her Classic ambitions dashed, Varian is hoping she can gain compensation later in the year at Royal Ascot.

Varian said: “Cursory Glance is back in ridden work and I am pleased with her. I am hoping to get her back for the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot, but only time will tell if we can.

“She looked very good this time last year and she was a stand-out filly at home almost from day one. She has done well over the winter and, although she is not the biggest, there is plenty of her.

“Her form, bar Tiggy Wiggy, put her as one of the best fillies in Europe last year. I am hopeful that when I get her back on track she will be capable of competing in Group One fillies’ races over a mile, as that is her trip.”

Marsh Hawk was woeful today, did she miss the break or did Hughes hold her up by design?
    Either way She hated being behind anyway.
    Well done nwalton on selecting Osaila, she is a tough filly.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

thank you nathan.After viewing the race again,i have had to have a few shillings on her e/w @ 20s for the Gns.Not confident of collecting the win part,but if you look at the way the race is slightly falling apart,i think she is worth a roll of the dice.Its 12s bar Found,so its quite open,bar the Ballydoyle inmate

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Anyone heard anything about Cursory Glance? Just noticed she isn’t in the betting for the Guineas.

She was ruled out in mid January due to an injury.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Thanks, folks. I wasn’t aware. I backed her last year ante-post singly and in an ew double with Estidkhaar for the 2000.

Participant
    • Total Posts 34

Had a nibble early on with Fadhayyil, Fontanelice and Osaila with 33’s on the lot based around the breeding lines but also the likely jocks and owners as this can often be the difference between the cream and the milk as they say the cream always rises to the top. I like Sunset Glow if she comes over and she could be the dark horse in the line up. If Found is ridden by R Moore then she obviously is the one they have to beat with Lucida not far behind but stablemate Together Forever looks to have stamina to burn and has to be the better fancy in the Oaks if she has a top jockey on board.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Well the Muraaqaba dream well and truly ended there!

Not impressed with anything in the Nell Gwyn; backed Together Forever at 14s when Pricewise gave the nod and still think she could be a player. Similarly backed Raydara at 33s upon confirmation of being Newmarket bound.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

I did say earlier these trials tend to remove horses from calculations rather than add them and I feel whatever the Aga Khan sends(if any) will have a squeak!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Without taking anything away from Redstart, I thought the runner up Jellicle Ball was the one to take from today’s Fred Darling.

I think the extra furlong will see her in a better light than today and this was no mean feat on only her second start.

Redstart is generally the shorter of the two in the betting but I think she had the better pace to be able to go from the front and, despite looking like she might win at one stage Jellicle Ball couldn’t catch the Ralph Beckett trained filly, who has clearly progressed this year. With another furlong and maybe less rapid ground the Jelly could still be in the shake up.

I think Jellicle Ball is a decent each-way shout at 20/1 and am happy enough with taking 40/1 earlier.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

I still think the Aga Khan is the owner for this race!!
    One in Ireland and one in France. If either turn up I will be on!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I was reasonably impressed with both Redstart and Jellicle Ball from the Fred Darling. Tiggy Wiggy is a class animal from last year and admittedly she was flat today and i think she’s a sprinter anyway but the front two were much more powerful at the finish and both look as though they will be suited by a mile. There are far worse 20/1 shots than these two in a race where there’s no obviously outstanding horse in opposition. It is double figure prices on everything other than the favourite Found and whilst she deserves to be favourite, for sure, and her form is good and solid enough it is nothing out of this world.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Tiggy Wiggy is still on course for Newmarket and the 1000 Guineas. I don’t see the point myself and would easily prefer the two fillies who beat her in the Fred Darling again over the extra distance at Newmarket.

I guess the lure of the Classic is strong but it seems a pointless exercise to me. They have said it is always an option to drop back to sprinting after the Guineas but by then there are a couple of defeats in the bag and the horse will have been having a bad experience trying to do an unsuitable discipline. How good will she be mentally after that, dropping back and having to race differently at the sprint division?

It is hardly surprising that Limato hardened as favourite for the Commonwealth Cup as he takes the sprinter’s route to the Royal Ascot Group 1 and will arrive raring to go at the appropriate distance. We saw George Margerson titting around with Lucky Kristale the same way last season and it back-fired big style. They basically wasted a year with her and she is finally getting her chance to try the appropriate discipline and ran reasonably in the Abernant during the week.

Time will tell if Tiggy Wiggy will follow the wild goose chase path to suitable races.

Caution Trading Limited:- Suppliers of Snake Oil and Magic Stamina Beans since 1985

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

33s Tiggy Wiggy seems big to me, given that connections are insistent she did not run her race yesterday. I’ve taken a wee bit of it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

I love Tiggy Wiggy but, while she looked in need of the race to me in the paddock, she has not grown from two to three and the weight for age scale tells you that a horse who literally makes zero physical improvement between October and the following April has effectively dived several pounds in the ratings.

I also think a horse like that needs to lead.

If she jumps off in front and is then settled as in the Cheveley Park I could see her grabbing what looks like a decisive lead at the bushes!

And then folding in the final furlong and getting caught and finishing about seventh!

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

33s Tiggy Wiggy seems big to me, given that connections are insistent she did not run her race yesterday. I’ve taken a wee bit of it.

I can see no reason why she will reverse form with the two who finished ahead of her. Both fillies are more lightly raced and showed good improvement from their maiden wins to fill the 1st and 2nd spots here. If Tiggy Wiggy couldn’t beat then on that ground, at that trip, she won’t beat them at Newmarket over a mile.

If Tiggy Wiggy simply needed the race then, theoretically, she could improve but that is offset by the extra furlong and the fact that the other fillies probably have more scope.

John Gosden isn’t one to rush his horses and I was delighted that Jellicle Ball could beat Tiggy Wiggy on only her second ever start, particularly at the distance and on such quick ground. She looks a horse almost guaranteed to improve for time and the extra furlong at Newmarket. I am confident she will beat Tiggy Wiggy by further at Newmarket.

I do wish trainers would stop trotting out the excuses after the defeats. Richard Hannon has now said Tiggy Wiggy had taken time to come to herself and that the trials come soon enough in the season. That would have been all good and well had it been said before the Fred Darling but, instead, this is what we were told:-

Hannon told At The Races: “She’s in great form and she’s relaxing now. We’ve been very careful to get her relaxed.She has been very well behaved and has been moving fantastic.
    “She hasn’t grown massive amounts, but she’s big enough. She wasn’t very big last year and that didn’t stop her, so I’m very hopeful.I hope they go a gallop and give her a bit of a lead. She’ll need that to get her relaxed.
    “She’s been to Newbury before. She ran very well there. We’ve got everything prepared to try to make sure she is well behaved.”
    Richard Hughes partnered Tiggy Wiggy in her last five starts but has not ridden her in her work at home.
    He told Racing UK: “I haven’t ridden her (this year) and I don’t want to as the lads do a good job with her.With her coat and physical well-being, she looks a million dollars. She looks like a colt.

You would hardly think they were talking about the same horse.

Everyone is entitled to be a bit wrong about how far forward their horse is but this was pretty strong, bullish talk, which has turned into a massive climb down pretty sharpish.

Similarly, Ivawood was supposed to be flying but now he needed the race really badly.

I could be wrong but I wouldn’t touch either horse for the Guineas.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

I have to agree with you Steve. Maybe Hannon has two top class two year olds that haven’t progressed as three year olds.
    Tiggy Wiggy ay have needed the run but she is a speedball and should be kept to sprint distances. Ivawood looks like it may have needed the run but isn’t going to improve enough to win a classic!!

I still think that if you are looking beyond AOB then the Aga Khan holds the key!!

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.