The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your three favourite things about racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Your three favourite things about racing

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 166

1) Tuesday at the festival
    2) That feeling that you might just have a cardiac arrest when you’ve got a couple battling it out at the end
    3) watching seasons unfold, what horses come up, what jockeys do well
    and i’m having a 4th cause i want one, those utterly vintage rides where you’d think a horse can’t win and somehow gets there.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

1. The emotional attachment to horses, their surroundings and achievements.

2. The never ending learning process, every day you learn something new and what you have learnt in the past is the most valuable asset you can have.

3. Wanting to be a part of history by going to big meetings to see the potential greats and current greats of the sport.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Mine are :-

1) Big meetings! … where every single race on the card is a mouth-waterer. Champion’s Day being a prime example.

2) Analysing the progression of 2YO horses and seeing which one(s) are the best at the end of the season.

3) When two or more great champion horses clash in a belter of a race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

1. Betfair
    2. Paul Roy
    3. Entry prices

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

The horses

The incredible emotion that sweeps through me when a favourite horse achieves something (doesn’t have to win!)

Coming home cold/soaked to the skin/tired having picked up a Chinese from my favourite takeaway and then checking out the replays on ATR/Sporting Life because I’ve spent the day down by a fence or the pre-parade and not seen a finish!

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

1. Gambling

2. Lady’s day at Punchestown

3. Emma Spencer :P :P

:lol: :lol:

Also the horses :) :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Bashing the authorities is also a favourite for some and therefore sould be mentioned, even though it is not a nice hobby.
    But to be fair if you are the master spy of the Kremlin and you say to them "come here my boys, take those roubles and go out to sabotage world’s racing", they could n’t possibly do it better.

akaali
    • Total Posts 39

That on the same day, as fans of racing, we can enjoy the theatre of Cheltenham but also be absorbed by a Sedgefield or Southwell card

The homely smell of roast from Rosie’s, and the familiar, rural smell of horses^$& as one enters Kelso racecourse!

That fans of the sport can enjoy their favoured pursuit on a daily basis, unrivalled by other sports, and he build up to season finales such as Cheltenham as only true followers may appreciate the sheer excitement

• Total Posts 149

and i’m having a 4th cause i want one, those utterly vintage rides where you’d think a horse can’t win and somehow gets there.

Yeah, like Beef or Salmon winning the Hennessy in 2007 – pure magic

• Total Posts 1508

1, The girls at Ponty.
    2, Finally learning the re-occurring pattern.
    3, Ante-Post betting.

Fallonman
    • Total Posts 35

1. Southwell in January
    2. Sir Henry Cecil
    3. Free at Towcester

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

1 – The speed, bravery and beauty of the horses
    2 – The balance, bravery and skill of the jockeys
    3 – The love and dedication ( shown to our equine cousins ) of so many involved in the sport

I’m also happy at evening stables, early morning on the gallops, an afternoon in a paddock with the foals/weanlings/yearlings, a good dinner with like minded racing folk or a day at the races in the countryside bathed in sunshine. I don’t get to do much of the above these days but all fill me with a sense of being alive and well.

Was it Kipling that said something along the lines of "There’s something about the outside of a horse that’s good for the insides of men"? It’s a phrase that sure works for me whoever the author was.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Spending six hours on a Saturday morning form studying only to end the day £175 down.

Picking up the remains of an each way trixie, usually about £3.78.

The petty fiddle of the rule four

Not getting your stake back when your selection refuses to leave the stalls.

The 26 minute wait to be served in the grandstand bar

Chips @ £2.50 a go

How the Tote make their multiple bets virtually impossible to win

Oh, you only wanted three.

cliffo38
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

going to the track to see the horses mine is (cork racecourse mallow ireland the champion hurdle if i had a horse its the race i would love to win above anything else when you have a big winner the feeling i know except for the pros most of us will be behind in the end but its our passion and money cant replace that!

• Total Posts 980

The horses

The incredible emotion that sweeps through me when a favourite horse achieves something (doesn’t have to win!)

Couldn’t agree more. When Our Vic won the Peter Marsh Chase in 2010, I don’t think anyone inside Haydock had any money on him but we all cheered the old boy home like he’d just paid off our mortgage.

And I was happy just to see Mon Mome ‘in the flesh’ as it were.

kspoon17
    • Total Posts 7

There’s one above all for me …

The two minutes before the off of each "hot" maiden race, hoping that you will be witnessing the first run of a future star. Nothing matches that. :D

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

1. The horse. In my opinion, God’s most magnificent creation. Nothing takes my breath away more than a horse at a flat out gallop, giving his all, and the partnership with the jockey. Jockeys are the most underrated of sportsmen, the fittest and the bravest, and the luckiest to be able to ride such amazing creatures.

2. The structure of the seasons – both flat and jumps – and the breeding/bloodstock aspect of racing, which I’ve always found fascinating.

3. The fact that year after year, brilliant champions come along (OK I suppose we get some poorer crops than others, but you never have to wait long…) Frankel proved it yesterday. There is always something new which takes your breath away, that you’ve never seen before. As a spectacle, no other sport comes close.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.