Your Royal Ascot Highlight and low point

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Your Royal Ascot Highlight and low point

This topic contains 59 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Nathan Hughes Nathan Hughes 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20476

Firstly the “Royal Ascot” discussion on this forum has been brilliant, over the years it’s fallen short but this year has been non stop… :good:

Highlight(s) –

*Barney Roy getting Hannon a Group 1 after a spell of wilderness.
    *The build up to the Commonwealth Cup was big and it did not disappoint, great race.
    *Finishing ahead of Jonibake in Competition….. :whistle:

Low point(s)

*Spectator throwing a beer over Appeared
    *Qemah not running in the Queen Anne

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5265

Mate your low point am happy about QEMAH not in Queen anne right race the Duke of Cambridge though like you on her i was to

Lowlight Order of St George getting beat had a bet on him since last year at 5/2 chucking that bet away was sad to do :cry:

Highlight THE TIN MAN winning he one of my fave horses he is a total star

And enjoy ITV this week am a big fan of Fransesca Cumani she is wonderfull :rose:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

I don’t know why it has never bothered so much before but I would go as far as saying it is an absolute disgrace that the sport’s showpiece is run on a track so heavily influenced by the draw. Not sure what can be done to force the one group scenario other than drastically cutting field sizes or the width of the track. Nothing will happen of course because the authorities don’t mind seeing punters lose their money after ten yards.

The biggest low point on the racing front was seeing a Group 2 horse beat a Group 1 horse thanks in the main to a dire effort by the jock on the second.

The Commonwealth Cup was by far the racing highlight of the week. Three Group 1 horses followed by another who may well have the potential to reach that level.

On a lighter note Francesca actually got a decent interview out of Stoute. A television first.

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 842

Highlight: Making a profit

Lowlight: should have made more

Love the racing as ever.

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

Highlight: the finish of the Gold Cup, a truly pulsating race.
    Lowlight: the 2yo races didn’t provide any real superstars. I know that some will disagree (September has many fans on here) but all the juveniles seemed a bit “meh” this year.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

High point: Thomas Hobson in the Ascot Stakes – think time will show that was a pretty special performance

Low point: all things Wesley Ward

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Highlight: the finish of the Gold Cup, a truly pulsating race.
    Lowlight: the 2yo races didn’t provide any real superstars. I know that some will disagree (September has many fans on here) but all the juveniles seemed a bit “meh” this year.

agree with that :good:

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

My lowpoint was how ITV would call every performance “amazing” and every horse “brilliant”

gawdsakes get some perspective

however along the same lines the highlight would be fran cumani who’s commentary from the paddock was honest and illuminating

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 324

Highlight(s) –

Lady Aurelia
    The Commonwealth Cup

Lowlight(s) –
    Some idiot throwing a beer at Appeared/Atzeni
    And gotta agree with stilvi on the draw thing.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1664

Pretty generic answers here rather than any individual performances.

HIGHLIGHT: The ITV coverage as a whole. Personally think it made mincemeat of Channel 4 over recent years. Really enjoyed watching and, considering it was their attempt of the week, is promising for the future :good:

LOW POINT: Had a nightmare betting wise :rose: what can you do though eh? Phenomenal spectacle, can’t quibble.

If pushed I’d give Lady Aurelia as my highlight of the week. Wonderful filly and great to see her back it up from last year.

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2202

My high and low both being lady aurelia

One of my bigger lays of the week she was (had a decent time of it from a laying perspective,apart from L.A) was a fair loss for me on this race

But my high being i thought she was outstanding and part of me didnt mind the loss :yes: (small part) :whistle:

Caravaggio being the machine he is was also a huge result but i almost expected hed do that hence why i was happy to lay H.A and B.P…..

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

High – Idaho & Seammie making up for the Leger nightmare last year

Low
    – September running ( could of been topping up at 25’s for a few more weeks )

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20476

Mate your low point am happy about QEMAH not in Queen anne right race the Duke of Cambridge though like you on her i was to

I suppose they done the right thing in the end as She won the race and would of been 2nd at best in the Queen Anne. At least they ran the horse over her trip unlike Gosden with Jack Hobbs running over 10f, would have won the Hardwicke on the bridle today

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 564

Highlight was Caravaggio win in a fab race,low point was Oostende losing again when he should gave one. One for the future definetely September.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2129

High point:
    Enjoying watching Flat racing having learned about some of the horses and trainers by reading TRF. So fast! Exciting even though no jumps! The Big Orange/OOSG finish was a cracker, two brave horses.

Low point:
    Felt really sorry for Wisconsin’s jockey, that must have been horrible to sit on and not be able to do anything about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.