Your Royal Ascot Highlight and low point

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Your Royal Ascot Highlight and low point

This topic contains 59 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Nathan Hughes Nathan Hughes 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Ghost of Rob V
    Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

High(s)

Big Orange’s gusty win in the Gold Cup. Finish of the meeting for me.
    Barney Roy in the St James Palace.
    Picking Snoano in the Wolferton at 25/1.

Low(s)

As Gladiateur mentioned … the 2yo races didn’t produce anything special.
    Too much talk about fashion!

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8617

Highlights:
    Has to be the BIG Orange Gold Cup Victory.

Seeing Freddy Tylicki out and about and being greeted by his fellow jockeys in the weighing room, also George Baker looking so well hope his return to the saddle is not far off.

Lowpoint:
    Goes without saying the idiot lowlife who threw a glass of beer at Andrea Atzeni and his horse along with the cyclist who knocked down Wesley Wards filly Princess Peggy (thank goodness it was not a worse outcome).

Future hope:
    Michael Stoute will have to wait another year to break the 75 Career wins at the Royal Meeting that he shares with Sir Henry Cecil but I for one am pleased that the late Sir Henry Cecil’s name is still up there and my future hope is that next year Sir Michael breaks his record with a filly or colt by Frankel. :heart:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TheGun
    TheGun
    Participant
    • Total Posts 186

Highlight: Definitely Caravaggio’s performance in the Commonwealth Cup. European flat racing needed another superstar and he’s stepped up to the plate. Can’t wait to watch him throughout the rest of the season.

Low point: Missing out on a £4k fourfold with Alpha Centauri finishing second. :negative:
    Also what a shame that we lost Scat Daddy so young as he proved himself this week to be a tremendous sire.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15794

Highlight was definitely the improvement on last year. I thought last years meeting was a bit of damp squib, but this year was stack full of outstanding performances, plenty of talking points, and in general just had a good “feel” about it. These could counts as lowlights I suppose, as I didn’t back them when on many other days I would have, but Big Orange, and Oriental Fox winning brought a smile to my face. Not many betting highlights for me sadly, but Raheen House & Lancaster Bomber making the frame probably my betting highlights of the week.

As for lowlights, well obviously the draw issue was ridiculous as already mentioned. One thing which really bugged me was the start times. I can’t get a good signal in my office, so was allowed to go outside to watch on my phone, but I would get outside for start time, and on what seemed like the majority of races, they weren’t even behind the stalls at start time. On more than one occasion, I’m sure they were over 5 mins late. Felt at times I was ripping the p1ss with my boss, as I’d trudge in 10 minutes later after telling him I shouldn’t be away long. It’s no good enough. Betting lowlights were definitely Bossy Guest disappointing, and Big Time not trapping.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I think the Commonwealth has to be the highlight as it’ll be the race from the meeting that will live longest in my memory.

My low point was backing Spirit Of Valor at 66s in the Jersey, shouting like a maniac when he shot clear and having to listen to all the favourite backers standing around me giving themselves a pat on the back.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5936

HIGHLIGHTS

I love brave horses battling it out over a distance, probably why I’m a dyed in
    the wool jumps man, so the the lung bursting duel between Big Orange and Order Of
    St George in the Gold cup was epic. Also it was heart warming to see Freddy Tylicki
    back at the track, and in such good spirits, presenting the trophies for the Duke Of
    Edinburgh Stakes. These people are made of stronger stuff than us mere mortals.

Low Points

Hats off to Barney Roy, but I was a bit disappointed to see Churchill badly beaten. It’s
    nice to have some Superstars around, and I was looking for fireworks from him which
    sadly didn’t appear. I suppose from a personal betting point of view, I was willing to
    see Librisa Breeze get a bit of daylight before the race was all but run in the Diamond
    Jubilee Stakes. He was my biggest bet of the meeting, so whilst I may be speaking out of
    my pocket to an extent, I would have loved to have seen that electric pace he has, which
    he briefly showed, but only after he had no chance of reining them in. I hope he’s not
    destined to be an unlucky horse.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1667

High point: the Gold Cup was an outstanding, the race of the season so far.
    Low point: the idiot throwing the beer glass.

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

Low point(s) : 1) poor showing of Churchill
    2) Ryan Moore’s defeat on Order Of St. George

High Point (s) Caravaggio showing why all the hype surrounding him was fully justified . Monster of a sprinter

Personal high point : Having two good bets in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes – backing The Tin Man to win and Tasleet each way . B-)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Kentucky Spring
    Kentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375
    Running Rein
    Running Rein
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

High Point – The finish of the Gold Cup – Tremendous spectacle in an important race
    Low Point – The finish of the Gold Cup – Ouch!

felicity
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

Thanks very much, Silk, for the link to the excellent Steve Haskins article in The Bloodhorse. Highly recommended. Also great to see the super enthusiastic comments of the U.S. viewers of Royal Ascot.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2542

Highlights:

1) Being proven so massively right on the superstar that is Lady Aurelia.

2) Taking the 25/1 on September for next years Oaks before going in at 5/4 for the Chesham Saturday.

3) Making a profit for the week of £500 when I only bet about £350 including two days of £200+ profit.

4) ITVs coverage

5) The track allowing us to take our jackets off when it was 34 degrees on a Tuesday.

Lowlights:

1) Despite being so unbelievably happy when Lady Aurelia flew clear, I couldn’t help but feel a tad dissappinted that she was 0.1 of a second off the track record bet that i had done. In fact, as seen on the Kings Stand thread, I had the bet introduced in the markets.

2) The pint thrown over Atzeni.

3) Scoring such a low score on the racing comp Saturday to somehow throw away my lead after the first four days.

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 781

Highlight – 9 winners:

Permian 7/1
    Sioux Nation 16/1
    Sound and Silence 20/1
    Idaho 4/1
    Oriental Fox 10/1
    Bless Him 25/1
    Atty Persse 6/1
    Big Orange 7/1
    Stradivarius 9/1

Hugh Taylor can take the credit on Stradivarius and a mate of mine on Idaho & Sioux Nation, but other than that picks were my own.

Low point – pulling out of a huge lump on Winter/Caravaggio double. Got bitten by a few big doubles during the week so stopped and then both naturally obliged.

Cannot complain, 9/30 for Royal Ascot and 11/28 for Cheltenham is what I call one hell of a year (shame about an abysmal Punchestown with 0 winners)

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Highlight – 9 winners:

Permian 7/1
    Sioux Nation 16/1
    Sound and Silence 20/1
    Idaho 4/1
    Oriental Fox 10/1
    Bless Him 25/1
    Atty Persse 6/1
    Big Orange 7/1
    Stradivarius 9/1

Hugh Taylor can take the credit on Stradivarius and a mate of mine on Idaho & Sioux Nation, but other than that picks were my own.

Low point – pulling out of a huge lump on Winter/Caravaggio double. Got bitten by a few big doubles during the week so stopped and then both naturally obliged.

Cannot complain, 9/30 for Royal Ascot and 11/28 for Cheltenham is what I call one hell of a year (shame about an abysmal Punchestown with 0 winners)

Very impressive stats

just back one in each race did you?

perhaps you’d be kind enough to tell us about these winners in advance in future ;-)

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

I mean forgive me for being sceptical but don’t see you tipping any of them up beforehand and just aftertiming them now, once the meeting has finished.

I remember you aftertiming ways from the Neptune thread last year, another slimy aftertiming cockroach, forums are rife with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.