The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Championship Snooker 2012

Home Forums General Sports World Championship Snooker 2012

Viewing 7 posts - 52 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Hmm, interesting….

Okay, Maguire in the SF and Stevens almost, the other two QFs still in the balance though Ronnie looks as if something has distracted him – could he have been planning a final with old foe Hendry?

Ronnie was saying before the WC started that he loves China and is thinking of moving out there as they really want players like him and Hendry.

Hendry has announced his immediate retirement today after getting thrashed by Maguire and stated he had decided this before the WC due to the proliferation of tournaments, their structure and the travelling and that though he is retiring from tournament play, he has significant committments in China….

Putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with something, with all the money available in China, could we be seeing some sort of split or semi-split appearing in snooker?

If so, it would be kind of ironic as a split in darts help Barry turn the PDC into what it is today which is presumably his template for the next age of snooker.

Pat123
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3078

Just had a little bet on Robertson to win outright at 8-1. The last two frames just now were crucial and there’s no doubt he can still make a game of it. I don’t think Stevens is scoring heavily enough to win a semi so hopefully at the end of tonight Robertson will be outright fav again :D

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25894

I’ve got everything wrong at this years event don’t know whether to blame Wenbo for not beating beating Higgins or that magpie that lives in the bottom of the garden. I will not blame myself…… :mrgreen:

Not to be deterred I’ll have a few quid on O’Sullivan to win 17-9 at 11’s and Carter 17-15 at 14’s and as I’m mad also a quid on the double.

Member since March 2008
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Ronnie is now 8/13 to win the WC so I’m happy with my 6s but though he won the 3rd session against Robertson comfortably and played some outrageous snooker, the alarm bells started ringing for me – he looked a bit distracted or his mind has flipped and he’s entering ‘don’t give a damn’ mode. He looked the same in the last session and in my opinion needed that fluke to wrap up the win.

Stevens won’t be shy or in awe and could be dangerous if Ronnie is in the same state of mind, I would not price Ronnie odds-on with Stevens to beat and a final to go. If it’s a Ronnie/Carter final then with Ebdon advising Carter it could get messy.

Still game on though, wouldn’t be surprised if Ronnie follows Hendry’s retirement tactic either.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

And messy it will be, with Ebdon advising Carter to take frequent toilet breaks and think for about a minute or two before every shot and make the games as scrappy as possible – sod the audience, if you can break your opponent mentally and semi-cheat your way to the title, do it.

Whatever, Ronnie didn’t struggle this far to lose to a Carter and barring a chernobyl style meltdown will be picking up world crown number four and buying me a drink tomorrow.

If he doesn’t follow Hendry into retirement he can win a few more, although there is a lot of competition out there it is mostly of the same standard – there are no greats of the game left anymore apart from Ronnie.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

And messy it started – twelve minutes before the first ball potted!

Problem with that is Carter is putting all his eggs in one basket hoping to grind scrapy frames out by playing slow tuck up snooker, against not just the most talented player of all time but one who now has vast experience and the best tactical game in snooker and one who really wants it this year.

Result – Ronnie with a session to spare.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25894

Humble pie for me. I wrote O’Sullivan off halfway through the season. Germany onwards he’s knuckled down and deserved this years championship, was the best player by a mile.

Trump for 2013, though……… :D

Mark Allen 25/1 for next year stands out.

Member since March 2008
Viewing 7 posts - 52 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.