The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Will Djokovic Dominate Tennis In 2012??

Home Forums General Sports Will Djokovic Dominate Tennis In 2012??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shmeeko69
    • Total Posts 237

After watching the superb Australian open with Djokovic and Nadal, it leaves me to believe that, he can dominate again this year. His fitness and resilience are incredible and I can honestly only see Federer, Nadal or Murray challenging, although Nadal will probably win the French, as he’s the king of clay.

GRAND SLAM PREDICTIONS 2012

French Open – Nadal

Wimbledon – Djokovic or Federer

US Open – Djokovic or Murray

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7655

To play ten sets in little more than two days was remarkable. I expected Nadal to benefit from the extra days rest. Watching these two slug out the final was memorable. Often tennis can be a grunt fest and one dimensional but this was a great match.
    Wether Djokovic dominates 2012 depends on his fitness because he has been on this amazing run for a while now.

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

He quite possibly can but we have yet to see the full Lendl effect on Murray and he certainly seemed to be getting closer to Djoko last time. Although Federer is still playing very well I don’t see him winning another slam. The interesting one is Del Potro yet to fully regain previous form and fitness

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

I had a large bet on the top 4 to make the semis at Wimbledon last year, and was most worried about Nadal playing Del Potro. Delpo just lacks the agility to really play well against the better players. Fantastic forehand, best on the ATP, but he’s just so slow when he’s moving and very easy to wrong foot, as Federer did several times in the Aussie Open. If he could move like Berdych can, he’d do a lot better but I think he’ll struggle to make the semis of any Major.

Djokovic is just astonishing, a monster of the highest order. He cruises through the early rounds, before all of a sudden going into a quarter and semi-final lull. Struggled against Federer in the French, struggled against Tomic and Tsonga at Wimbledon, struggled against Federer in the US and struggled against Murray in the Aussie. I don’t think he really gives his all. Compare his performances for example against Tomic/Tsonga at Wimbledon to the final vs Nadal, where he absolutely destroyed him in that 2nd set.

And then the US, scraped through against Federer in a 5-setter and then just outplayed Nadal comprehensively in the final.

Given what Djokovic was doing to Nadal before the French last year, honestly I think he should be favourite for Roland Garros because Nadal really just doesn’t have an answer for Djokovic’s game. Djokovic was really off his game in November and December and didn’t have much of a break to prepare for the Aussie, so I can really only see one outcome to be honest.

Hard to see anybody but Djokovic and Nadal winning a Grand Slam this year, although it wouldn’t surprise me greatly to see Murray winning. Federer is the guy I really don’t think can win one anymore. Starts to fall apart after the 1st set unless he’s playing Djokovic, for whatever reason.

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Hi Zarkava
    I think we’re broadly in agreement I look forward to the Feds/Del Potro Rotterdam final to morrow to see what progress the latter is making

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Delpo just not good enough.

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Yup afraid you’re right movement is too poor to live with the best

kentdougal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

Going to the semis of Dubai Open on Friday hoping to see Murray in it Nearly gave me a heart attack this morning can’t imagine Lendl too impressed with this display

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.