The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who Will Be Next Tory Leader ?

Home Forums Lounge Who Will Be Next Tory Leader ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Leaving obvious antipathy to party aside !:cheesy:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

As someone who regards himself as right of centre (though not a Tory), what a bunch of ****
    in nobodies…

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

plus the unelectable Ken Clarke….

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Agreed, but something has to win !

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Just the topic after returning from an amusing Conservative Future pub crawl!:o

The Exeter Conservative Future are going for David Cameron.

For me either him or Davis. Not Clarke – a bit too much of the old going on for me. However he is probably the one man there with the required charisma for party leader (and surely no one can be as bad as IDS?!)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Zilzal

Agreed, but something has to win !

True.

It resembles an end-of-season 3yo+ maiden handicap. All the runners are losers, but one of them has to pass the line first.

But you’d never expect it to go on and win a proper race.

Steve

(Edited by stevedvg at 9:51 am on Oct. 8, 2005)

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Davis was very poor during his conference speech from the little I saw on the news. It was as if he thought many on the floor probably hated him and was wondering who was going to stab him in the back.

I havnt’ seen enough of Cameron or Fox yet to make my call.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

The only one on that list that I would remotely consider voting for would be Ken Clarke.  However that was not the question.<br>Cameron will be the next Tory leader, and again I will choose to vote ‘none of the above’ (I really wish that was an option on the ballot as I point blank refuse to vote solely out of an obligation to do so)

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Hopefully, it really doesn’t matter, at least for the next seven or so years…

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5860

Ken Clarke is my choice – the only one with a chance of getting the present awful government out of office.

The thought of that smarmy creep being in office at No:10 for several more years makes me cringe.

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

If the Tories were a sensible party with a strong grip on reality, they would choose Ken Clarke. He wouldn’t win the next election, but he would spend four years making them electable again and then hand over, either to Cameron, or William Hague.

Davis and Fox both occupy the same cul-de-sac as Ian Duncan Smith.

Of course, they’ll choose Cameron, who will probably do quite well against Blair who is basically finished, but will fare less well against Brown.

(Edited by Aranalde at 3:57 pm on Oct. 16, 2005)

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

The whole drugs row is a bit silly. Does it really matter if he smoked a few joints at Uni? As long as he’s not jacking up every two hours now then it makes no difference to his potential as leader.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I heard Norman Lamont and Bernard Jenkin debating the leadership election on R4 on Saturday (yes I am that sad). Lamont seemed to think that the drugs issue would help Cameron since most people aren’t that bothered.

I think he may be overstating it, since I’m sure there are a fair number of Tory die hards who are bothered. However, I think the worst thing Cameron can do is answer the question either way. As long as he persists that it is no-one’s business, he’ll be okay.

However, I tend to agree with Grasshopper that 1.6 is way too short, given the volatile nature of these contests

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

I’ve just taken the 20/1 on Ken Clarke on Betfair for fun.<br>Not an individual I particularly like as I find his demeanour somewhat pompous and conceited; and I think his objection to the removal of Saddam and liberation of Iraq by force was a luxury a prominent member of the opposition could well afford. I suspect too his popularity may be greater with the press than with the electorate. Still, if he shed a stone his age may not so against him

However, Cameron is totally untried and untested and there may be a chance Tory MPs and party members may be reluctant to take the risk of foisting  such an unproven sort on the electorate. Davis has no charisma whatsovever and has very little character, judging by his TV performances. Fox appeals to me but seems the sort that won’t appeal the "hoi poloi".

<br>Current Betfair Betting

Cameron   3/5

Davis   3/1

Fox   11/1

Clarke  now out  to  22/1   – someone knows:)

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

being a Tory voter, I hope they give it Cameron.

Think the ‘Old Guard’ are outdated now, someone new and young should be given a crack IMO.<br>Keith

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.