The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who owns the racing data

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Who owns the racing data

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

IE: entries, race results, breeding information etc

(Edited by empty wallet at 12:11 am on Jan. 16, 2007)

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

An owner is a person who has property.

Property is the exclusive right at law to possess, use and dispose of a thing (tangible or intangible, visible or invisible, real or personal).

A fact is a state of things or an event.

There is no exclusive right in the fact that horse Z is entered in a race, or that he wins that race, or that his mother is X and his father is Y.

But if you invest time and/or money collecting facts together and/or verifying them, then you can claim an exclusive right – ie property – in your collection, or database.    You can then stop others from using your collection.

What was decided in William Hill v BHB was that drawing up a list of horses in a race was something separate from collecting and verifying the contents of the database from which that list was drawn.    

"The list is different in character from a mere list of the gathered-in information.   It is a list of the horses the BHB have accepted as qualifying to race… [ie a newly-occurred fact]"

<br>http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2005/863.html&query=william+hill+bhb&method=all

best regards

wit<br>

(Edited by wit at 7:58 am on Jan. 16, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Thanks wit

<br>never  read what the Will Hills case was about at the time it was going off

<br>I’m just trying to figure out why the racing industry does not make more use selling  racing info directly to the general public to create revenue

IE: sectional time info, horse weight etc

<br>I know it takes investment, but surely long term these things would reap rewards

(Edited by empty wallet at 11:47 am on Jan. 16, 2007)

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Empty,

See the last page of the Horse Body Weights thread.<br>The industry seems to be just sleepwalking through possible revenue sources. There seems to be no one to set a lead and make things happen.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from robert99 on 12:10 pm on Jan. 16, 2007[br].<br>The industry seems to be just sleepwalking through possible revenue sources. There seems to be no one to set a lead and make things happen.

<br>read it elsewhere robert ;)   on reading it and the above is mainly why i started this thread

Just can’t understand why the powers that be are not using  the data punters are chasing to create a revenue stream

(Edited by empty wallet at 12:36 pm on Jan. 16, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

deleted

(Edited by davidjohnson at 12:44 pm on Jan. 16, 2007)

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

To try and cut a very long story short, racing has been down this path before. The BHB decided that selling data rights to bookmakers was the way to fund racing and campaigned to abolish the Levy. The Government agreed to do so and the BHB sought to extract money from bookmakers in the UK and overseas in return for a licence of data rights. that led to the William Hill case which said that the BHB didn’t have any rights in the data to sell. As a result, racing ended up campaigning for the Levy to stay and, just before Christmas, the Government agreed to this

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

What i’m talking about is the racing industry selling it’s info directly to punters not bookies or to be creamed off by a 3rd party  

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:58 pm on Jan. 16, 2007)

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

OK there are 2 reasons (at least) why that wouldn’t work. (1) If punters had to pay for racing data, it would mean that a proportion would instead choose to bet on things other than racing – so a counterproductive route for racing to take (2) racing probably can’t control access to race data either practically (because there’s always going to be someone (probably an offshore site) that will obtain the data and make it available for free); and legally (because of anti-monopoly laws – see another case Attheraces v BHB).

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Thanks Zebra

I think (might be wrong) that a lot of punters would pay for the right info, just look at Timeform, Raceform etc

2, the legal stuff is beyond me tbh

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Yes some people will pay for Timeform (now owned by Betfair) and Raceform (owned by the Racing Post) but it’s not racing that owns that data and the amounts punters pay for this information is a tiny fraction of racing’s funding needs

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Just seems to me something very wrong when an industry has  to rely on handouts from another industry

Surely something can be done, clean up the sport to attract more sponsors, put up entry fees, charge for info where you can etc

Why not invest in sectional timing equipment and sell that data, why not invest in weighing horses and sell that data, add the £5 back on to my RUK subs so i can view replays

<br>Trouble is racing in cohoots with others want to take punters for all they’ve got and people like me who would be willing to pay, won’t stand being shafted

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 3:39 pm on Jan. 16, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

I can go to site like DRF, pay for PDF Past Performances etc and get all the info i need  

I am betting more and more on US racing because of this, i would also bet more on racing in HK if racing was shown on tv  and markets were availble for the same reason

<br>Racing is losing it’s customers in part due to lack of info

(Edited by empty wallet at 3:47 pm on Jan. 16, 2007)

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

There is free info on the net, you just got to look for it…they mainly advertise the ones you need to pay for

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Weatherbys have built up a massive database regards breeding and they i.m.o. should be able to charge for this information.

The on course bookie chappies were thinking of trying to charge for the actual starting prices as they thought as they were the ones that actually decided and marked up what they were that they owned a copyright to them.

As to such things as results and stats companies such as RSB and Raceform claim a copyright as they compiled them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.